By tek3195, XDA Ad-Free Member on 3rd July 2019, 09:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th July 2019, 07:22 PM |#21  
OP Member
Flag Panama City FL.
Thanks Meter: 20

More
@nl13142

If you enter fastboot with hardware buttons that's it. It stays mid-screen or so with the arrow pointing at fastboot. You have to select it with volume - for it to actually go into fastboot. There is no indication as to whether you've just stopped scrolling or made a selection I am NOT a fan of what I guess is what I see people referring to as bootloader screen. If you enter fastboot with "adb reboot bootloader" fastboot will be in x-small font bottom left of screen.

8th July 2019, 07:42 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek3195

@nl13142

If you enter fastboot with hardware buttons that's it. It stays mid-screen or so with the arrow pointing at fastboot. You have to select it with volume - for it to actually go into fastboot. There is no indication as to whether you've just stopped scrolling or made a selection I am NOT a fan of what I guess is what I see people referring to as bootloader screen. If you enter fastboot with adb reboot bootloader fastboot will be in x-small font bottom left of screen.

That's good to know, I was planning on picking one up to replace my current 7 inch Tab 4 (which is still stuck on 4.4). A couple more things, does it pass safetynet with magisk installed and does adoptable storage (using the sd card as internal memory rather than as a separate drive) work?
9th July 2019, 02:58 AM |#23  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,177

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl3142

How do you get to fastboot mode? When I tried it with the one in the store I managed to get it to the menu where you can choose recovery, bootloader/fastboot, or normal boot but it just froze after choosing fastboot. Which I thought meant that they removed fastboot entirely like some other tablets do.

Several method including one you quoted:

>> Tablet connected to PC use "adb reboot bootloader"...
9th July 2019, 12:36 PM |#24  
OP Member
Flag Panama City FL.
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl3142

That's good to know, I was planning on picking one up to replace my current 7 inch Tab 4 (which is still stuck on 4.4). A couple more things, does it pass safetynet with magisk installed and does adoptable storage (using the sd card as internal memory rather than as a separate drive) work?

Yes and Yes . That is also including EdXposed being installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to tek3195 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tek3195 Ad-Free
9th July 2019, 05:29 PM |#25  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,320

More
I'm not sure if it is true with this device, or not, since I don't yet own one, but on my Nextbook Ares 8A tablets I found that simply enabling the option to unlock the bootloader in developer options, was enough to unlock. Originally, on my first tablet, I had used the option in fastboot to unlock it: fastboot flashing unlock, I believe.

If someone builds a working TWRP for it, I think I will pick up one of these 8" tablets.

Thanks
11th July 2019, 10:44 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

I'm not sure if it is true with this device, or not, since I don't yet own one, but on my Nextbook Ares 8A tablets I found that simply enabling the option to unlock the bootloader in developer options, was enough to unlock. Originally, on my first tablet, I had used the option in fastboot to unlock it: fastboot flashing unlock, I believe.

If someone builds a working TWRP for it, I think I will pick up one of these 8" tablets.

Thanks

It's unlockable, and I was able to splice together a TWRP image that would at least boot... which means getting a working TWRP is just a matter of time/effort.
I haven't had much time to work on it yet, but I was going to take another stab at it and see if I could correct the issues I was having with my Frankenstein TWRP while also trying to build one proper.

You should go ahead a pick one up. You might even try putting together a TWRP image yourself if you have some time, patience and are comfortable working in a Linux environment. Because it's definitely possible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NFSP G35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NFSP G35 Ad-Free
13th July 2019, 01:16 AM |#27  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSP G35

It's unlockable, and I was able to splice together a TWRP image that would at least boot... which means getting a working TWRP is just a matter of time/effort.
I haven't had much time to work on it yet, but I was going to take another stab at it and see if I could correct the issues I was having with my Frankenstein TWRP while also trying to build one proper.

You should go ahead a pick one up. You might even try putting together a TWRP image yourself if you have some time, patience and are comfortable working in a Linux environment. Because it's definitely possible.

@NFSP G35 Maybe if I get another drive and setup a full Linux system. I have been running Linux Mint Mate for over 2 years from a High Speed, 16 gb USB thumb drive I created with a persistent, casper_rw partition. The problem I have in using it for dev, is I only have 2 gb of space left.
To download the git repo for TWRP requires a huge amount of space, from what I remember when investigating it for my Nextbook Ares 8A tablet in the past. Plus I couldn't temp root it to pull the kernel. Ended up paying someone for his, which I have a link in my Ares 8A root thread for.

I rarely ever boot with the internal HD into Windows, anymore, but I need to keep Windows 7 on it. Partitioning and duel booting is not really an option on that 500Gb drive without loosing alot of files on it.

Maybe I will buy one of the tablets anyway. One question,though, is this the exact command I need to enter to backup the boot.img and do I do that from a terminal emulator on the tablet, or do I do it from a terminal started from my Linux PC with mtk-su?

dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img

The other thing I forgot to mention was that I have use AIK to modify boot.img's but my only attempt to try to do a modification of my working TWRP did not work, but that was only a brief attempt as the mod was not really that important at the time.

Thanks

UPDATE: I unpacked TWRP v3.1.0-0 for my Nextbook Ares 8A in AIK, ui.xml has: resolution width="1080" height="1920", is this the same for the Onn tablet? If so, maybe if I provide you with that ui.xml file, it will work in your twrp. I could also provide any others such as portrait.xml and splash.xml. Done. My guess is that the proper permissions may also need to be set for the files. There are font, language files and images in that twres folder also that could be useful. I'm not sure what version of TWRP yours is so some of those could potentially have changed.

I don't think that other files will be useful in this recovery, since The Ares 8A's are Intel x86 devices. Please let me know if I can provide anything else. The twrp.zip contains the font, language and image files from the unpacked twres folder, also.

I just had a thought, you are on the 10" tablet, so this may be all in vain. I do know some 10" Ares 10A users were able to use my recovery, but not sure how it worked for them, apparently enough to be able to use it, though. I looked it up and the Onn 10" has a 800 x 1280 resolution. I see the resolution listed in both the ui.xml and splash.xml files. Maybe just changing those values to 800 x 1280 resolution will be enough. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: xml ui.xml - [Click for QR Code] (25.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: xml portrait.xml - [Click for QR Code] (158.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: xml splash.xml - [Click for QR Code] (1.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip twrp.zip - [Click for QR Code] (356.0 KB, 2 views)
13th July 2019, 05:18 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img

This is correct, but don't forget your recovery image as well!

Updates (such as they are) on my "progress"

I decided to have another go at building TWRP instead of repacking with AIK.
So I used TWRPbuilder and pulled down minimal omni sources on the 9.0 branch, fought with it for a while, then finally got it to build but it was 19Mb which was never going to fit in a 16Mb recovery partition, so I started over with the 8.1 branch, and even after stripping it down I could only get it to 17Mb. So I started over yet again with the 7.1 branch and was finally able to get it to finish building and produce a 14Mb image, which I then flashed (via dd method) and it didn't boot... So I re-flashed it via fastboot... Still no joy. So back with the stock recovery image again, and I'll go back to the drawing board.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NFSP G35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NFSP G35 Ad-Free
13th July 2019, 05:47 AM |#29  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSP G35

This is correct, but don't forget your recovery image as well!

Updates (such as they are) on my "progress"

I decided to have another go at building TWRP instead of repacking with AIK.
So I used TWRPbuilder and pulled down minimal omni sources on the 9.0 branch, fought with it for a while, then finally got it to build but it was 19Mb which was never going to fit in a 16Mb recovery partition, so I started over with the 8.1 branch, and even after stripping it down I could only get it to 17Mb. So I started over yet again with the 7.1 branch and was finally able to get it to finish building and produce a 14Mb image, which I then flashed (via dd method) and it didn't boot... So I re-flashed it via fastboot... Still no joy. So back with the stock recovery image again, and I'll go back to the drawing board.

For recovery, would it be:

dd if=/dev/block/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img

Thanks, I updated my post with some files which could be useful via the AIK route. Out of curiosity, how much approximate disk space is required to put TWRPbuilder, other required files and pull down the sources? Is Android Studio required, also? TWRPbuilder something new, that wasn't available when I looked into it for my Nextbooks. Here is thread I got info from, by the TWRP author:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1943625

I do have a new 250 SSD I bought at Christmas time, but have never installed it. I did plug it in with a USB adapter and install Linux on it. I haven't booted it up since, or installed it in my desktop, since my current setup has worked well and I guess I have been a little lazy to get a new drive setup. The SSD should be much faster, though.
15th July 2019, 03:28 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Anyone use both the Onn 8" and the amazon HD 8? How do they compare?

I read a review somewhere that claimed the Onn screen is slow to respond to touches.
16th July 2019, 03:59 AM |#31  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry.sky

Anyone use both the Onn 8" and the amazon HD 8? How do they compare?

I read a review somewhere that claimed the Onn screen is slow to respond to touches.

I don't yet own the Onn, but tonight before I left the store that I work in, I tested the touch response on the display model and the touch response seem good to me. It has a 1.3 MHz quad core, ARM processor.
However, the only other Android devices I own are Nextbook Ares 8A's, Intel x86, 1.9 MHz, Android 6.0.1 tablets, which were in the same price range. I am on the verge of buying one, even though I don't really need it, I am just looking for a new challenge to put Magisk on, with a newer OS to play with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
joyar, ona19tb002, onn, onn_8"_tablet, walmart

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)