FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Any idea to root Sony's new e-reader DPT-RP1?

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By sartrism, Junior Member on 11th August 2017, 06:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Sony recently released a new digital paper device DPT-RP1, apparently using their own linux firmware but underlying on Android 5.1.1. Few weeks ago, some Chinese successfully hacked it to jailbreak for third-party apps (without changing the original firmware), but they don't share any information to sell those hacked devices. I'm willing to pay for it, but it is too risky to send my device to China so I'm trying to root it by myself.

I don't know much about this world, but I found some information that might be helpful. It uses Marvell A140 IoT Processor a.k.a. PXA1908. There are two Android smartphones (as the same version 5.1.1) with this chip - Samsung Xcover 3 and Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Fortunately, they have been both rooted in the past here.

Is this information really helpful to root my device? If so, is there any way to apply the previous methods to easily jailbreak DPT-RP1? I think the problem here is that it does not look like Android at all, so has no setting menu or developer tools. And not sure how to enter to the recovery mode since it only has two buttons - power/menu.

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sartrism For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sartrism Ad-Free

12th August 2017, 03:54 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Cambridge

More
And here you can find source codes.

oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/dp/DPT-RP1.html
12th August 2017, 10:32 AM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartrism

Sony recently released a new digital paper device DPT-RP1, apparently using their own linux firmware but underlying on Android 5.1.1. Few weeks ago, some Chinese successfully hacked it to jailbreak for third-party apps (without changing the original firmware), but they don't share any information to sell those hacked devices. I'm willing to pay for it, but it is too risky to send my device to China so I'm trying to root it by myself.

I don't know much about this world, but I found some information that might be helpful. It uses Marvell A140 IoT Processor a.k.a. PXA1908. There are two Android smartphones (as the same version 5.1.1) with this chip - Samsung Xcover 3 and Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Fortunately, they have been both rooted in the past here.

Is this information really helpful to root my device? If so, is there any way to apply the previous methods to easily jailbreak DPT-RP1? I think the problem here is that it does not look like Android at all, so has no setting menu or developer tools. And not sure how to enter to the recovery mode since it only has two buttons - power/menu.

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

You must be an iPhone user that isn't familiar with android. Jailbreak in is an Apple thing, not an android thing.

In android it's called "rooting" and it isn't quite the same thing as jailbreaking an Apple device.

This device does not at all seem to be worth the price, especially considering the limitations it has. What a waste of hardware.

I would assume that you could port something from one of those other devices to work on yours but it really depends on how your hardware is designed compared to those devices.

Does your device have a typical bootloader like other android devices?

Is the bootloader unlocked?

If it is locked, can it be unlocked?

Does the device use fastboot or does it have a flash mode that is used with a specific PC flashtool?

If it is unlocked or if you can unlock it and it has a flash mode that can actually be used, you might be able to port a custom recovery from one of the devices you named then use that recovery to somehow root the device. If the device can't install android apps then it would probably involve using adb to root the device.

I DO NOT PROVIDE HELP IN PM, KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE
12th August 2017, 09:04 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Cambridge

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

You must be an iPhone user that isn't familiar with android. Jailbreak in is an Apple thing, not an android thing.

In android it's called "rooting" and it isn't quite the same thing as jailbreaking an Apple device.

This device does not at all seem to be worth the price, especially considering the limitations it has. What a waste of hardware.

I would assume that you could port something from one of those other devices to work on yours but it really depends on how your hardware is designed compared to those devices.

Does the device use fastboot or does it have a flash mode that is used with a specific PC flashtool?

If it is unlocked or if you can unlock it and it has a flash mode that can actually be used, you might be able to port a custom recovery from one of the devices you named then use that recovery to somehow root the device. If the device can't install android apps then it would probably involve using adb to root the device.

Thanks for suggesting a general principle! I just use the word jailbreaking not because I'm an iPhone user. What I actually want to do as the first step is not rooting an android system, but revealing it from the current customized linux system. Rooting is the next step if necessary. If the word choice is still not accurate and bothers you, I apologize.

It has apparently no typical bootloader, and neither PC nor adb recognize it as an android device. In fact, direct USB file transfer is blocked so I need to use Sony's designated software. But an android system surely coexists according to the hacker who already rooted it.
12th August 2017, 11:22 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartrism

Thanks for suggesting a general principle! I just use the word jailbreaking not because I'm an iPhone user. What I actually want to do as the first step is not rooting an android system, but revealing it from the current customized linux system. Rooting is the next step if necessary. If the word choice is still not accurate and bothers you, I apologize.

It has apparently no typical bootloader, and neither PC nor adb recognize it as an android device. In fact, direct USB file transfer is blocked so I need to use Sony's designated software. But an android system surely coexists according to the hacker who already rooted it.

Without some kind of way to flash or interface with the device there isn't much you can do.

I have a kindle fire HD that didn't come with a typical android system but does have a typical bootloader. The Amazon OS was removed and now it's full blown android but it required a "second" bootloader. You don't have a bootloader so I'm not sure what your options are with that device.

13th August 2017, 04:04 PM |#6  
Flag Murfreesboro, TN, USA
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Jailbreaking is the process of modifying any electronic device in order to remove restrictions imposed by a manufacturer (Apple) or operator (to allow the installation of unauthorized software).

Rooting is the act of gaining access to the root account of a device (such as a smartphone or computer).

There is a huge difference between the two. You can't just say that rooting is Android's version of jailbreaking. Not accurate in the least.

https://www.androidpit.com/jailbreak-android

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkBell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarkBell Ad-Free
13th August 2017, 07:26 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBell

Jailbreaking is the process of modifying any electronic device in order to remove restrictions imposed by a manufacturer (Apple) or operator (to allow the installation of unauthorized software).

Rooting is the act of gaining access to the root account of a device (such as a smartphone or computer).

There is a huge difference between the two. You can't just say that rooting is Android's version of jailbreaking. Not accurate in the least.

https://www.androidpit.com/jailbreak-android

You're reading too much into what I said.

Basically, what I said was that jailbreaking isn't an android thing, it's an Apple thing(didn't say it was exclusively an Apple thing, just NOT an android thing). It applies to more than just Apple devices but on this website dedicated to mobile platforms, I'm only referring to its application in the mobile device world. For the mobile world it's pretty much only an Apple thing(still not exclusively but mostly so).

Then I said that in the android world it's called rooting(not exclusively an android thing, just NOT an Apple thing). And that jailbreaking and rooting aren't the same thing(this does not say that rooting is android's version of jailbreaking, that would imply that they are the same thing, I'm saying they aren't the same thing)

Basically, explaining what they "aren't", you explained what they "are".

I understand the difference, but thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
13th August 2017, 09:29 PM |#8  
Flag Murfreesboro, TN, USA
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You're reading too much into what I said.

Basically, what I said was that jailbreaking isn't an android thing, it's an Apple thing(didn't say it was exclusively an Apple thing, just NOT an android thing). It applies to more than just Apple devices but on this website dedicated to mobile platforms, I'm only referring to its application in the mobile device world. For the mobile world it's pretty much only an Apple thing(still not exclusively but mostly so).

Then I said that in the android world it's called rooting(not exclusively an android thing, just NOT an Apple thing). And that jailbreaking and rooting aren't the same thing(this does not say that rooting is android's version of jailbreaking, that would imply that they are the same thing, I'm saying they aren't the same thing)

Basically, explaining what they "aren't", you explained what they "are".

I understand the difference, but thank you.

I tend to read too deeply into everything. It's the way I am. Lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkBell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarkBell Ad-Free
22nd August 2017, 08:25 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Could you please post some information about usb device? Just like PID & VID.
Do it like:
Connect DPT-RP1 to Linux, and then type this command 'lsusb'
P.S. Under Windows or MacOS system, you can find the information from system settings...
22nd August 2017, 02:52 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
happy to help with simple things
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisvip

Could you please post some information about usb device? Just like PID & VID.
Do it like:
Connect DPT-RP1 to Linux, and then type this command 'lsusb'
P.S. Under Windows or MacOS system, you can find the information from system settings...

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 054c:0be5 Sony Corp.
24th August 2017, 09:11 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Flag Cambridge

More
It is good to see some people have been interested in this thread.

So far, I realized that the hacker used a hardware hacking method. I actually obtained the hacked system apps from one of his customer. I guess he did sometihng like directly modifying eMMC to root and put "USBDeviceSwitcher.apk" to allow an usual USB connection. Since I don't want to take such risk, I decided to wait until the first firmware to see if there could be an indirect way to penetrate the system files. But if you want to analyze the hacked system, contact me.
The Following User Says Thank You to sartrism For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sartrism Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)