Thanks Meter: 11

By sartrism, Junior Member on 11th August 2017, 05:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd January 2018, 08:26 AM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Good share.
@sartrism

Can you provide all system files using some sort of Android App which can backup file system. I think testmode requires password which is saved in SQlite. testmode has right to reboot in diagnostic mode. Normal user has not authentication for this. Software engineers of this system looks like have a Web Development background. DPT-RP1 runs like a webserver.

8th January 2018, 03:20 PM |#42  

More
hope has any process
8th January 2018, 05:13 PM |#43  

More
I think we are so close to success
22nd January 2018, 10:52 AM |#44  

More
any news?
4th February 2018, 04:04 PM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I've been looking into the USB pairing process.

The device reports idPorduct=0x0be5
It lists a CDC ACM (serial) interface, and a USB HID interface.

I don't know what the HID is for, but the serial one is used to send some configuration that restarts the device USB interface.

After restarting, the device shows a different idProduct=0x0bdd . This one has an RNDIS NIC Interface that can be used to connect to the REST API.

/****************/

This is just a guess, but maybe there are other serial commands available that allow debugging/rootin/jaillbraking.

This is a capture of the USB port, maybe somebody else has seen a similar USB setting before
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P-...EO_Jr8CbLPlo8r
20th February 2018, 03:12 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy jailbreak DPT-RP1 please
As a Chinese student who can not afford the jailbreak fee, I hope you guys can be able to jailbreak DPT-RP1 sooner and release the crack files for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to mateng1996 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mateng1996 Ad-Free
25th February 2018, 02:39 AM |#47  

More
While this remains interesting, it is now really mostly an intellectual challenge. The new Onyx Boox 2 is superior device with same screen but far better features, very happy with mine. 6 months ago I would have purchased the Sony if they hadn't done all this nonsense of locking every little thing down. Hopefully Sony will learn in future, I like their products but not to the level of buying when there are better alternatives, they are missing the boat.
25th February 2018, 04:19 AM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess91

While this remains interesting, it is now really mostly an intellectual challenge. The new Onyx Boox 2 is superior device with same screen but far better features, very happy with mine. 6 months ago I would have purchased the Sony if they hadn't done all this nonsense of locking every little thing down. Hopefully Sony will learn in future, I like their products but not to the level of buying when there are better alternatives, they are missing the boat.

I guess you have not actually used the DPT-RP1 so there wasn't any real experience that you can refer to after you own the Onyx Boox 2.
I have owned both devices and this is my review: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10
TLDR; Boox2 is just too heavy to hold for a long time, writing is not natural, however, Sony locking software sucks, but their rendering and writing software is way better than neoreader - however still lack of basic features. In the end I return the Boox 2 and will focus on rooting the Sony.
3rd March 2018, 11:44 PM |#49  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvo

I guess you have not actually used the DPT-RP1 so there wasn't any real experience that you can refer to after you own the Onyx Boox 2.
I have owned both devices and this is my review: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10
TLDR; Boox2 is just too heavy to hold for a long time, writing is not natural, however, Sony locking software sucks, but their rendering and writing software is way better than neoreader - however still lack of basic features. In the end I return the Boox 2 and will focus on rooting the Sony.

Correct, I haven't used the RP1, there is no point. The better hardware can not make up for the software restrictions, as nice and pretty as the Sony may be it is useless to people who need formats beyond just PDF. Shortsighted and total overkill decision by Sony, they should have made an "open" variant that lets install apps to open epub, etc.
6th March 2018, 05:38 AM |#50  
OP Junior Member
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess91

The better hardware can not make up for the software restrictions

Actually the opposite is more accurate in my opinion. At least RP1 has better chance to be perfect after software update or rooting (and it is possible to root in China by investing some money). To be honest, most of RP1/S1 users didn't move to other devices although Sony's attitude has been so disappointing. It is very interesting to see that the most aggressive people are actually ones who don't own RP1 yet.

Anyway, I think iOS users would be interested in this post by a Japanese user, who adapts python scripts to be implemented in iPhone or iPad.
The Following User Says Thank You to sartrism For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sartrism Ad-Free
17th March 2018, 04:41 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I have the boox max, not the max 2. But for what the DPT-RP1 does, it is superior to the MAX2- annotating PDFs. The Neo 2 app for annotating is quite bad.
First, you can't just start writing - you have to press on screen, and select annotation.
The annotations are also not saved directly to the file. You have to export, and then it is saved to a new file somewhere on your device.
Neo 2 also doesn't play nicely with Dropbox - you can't just open a file from dropbox, edit in Neo 2, and save the changes.
For note taking, the supplied papers are really bad - the lines are too thick and dark.
There is also no good way to convert a bunch of notes to PDFs. You have to convert to png page by page,.. (I think)

All these problems exist since the Max days, and should take very little for a competent programmer to fix, but Onyx doesn't really care. You can use other note taking apps on android, but none currently work well with the stylus and the e-ink - much too slow!
So, for now hacking the RP1 could give benefits for people who want to use the device for taking notes and annotating pdfs.

---------- Post added at 03:41 ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 ----------

I'm not sure this helps, but this project implements communicating with the RP1:
https://github.com/janten/dpt-rp1-py
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)