LG Stylo 4 root?

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By hidronico, Junior Member on 15th July 2018, 06:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th April 2019, 03:48 AM |#291  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This is purely speculation, but maybe since LG has the Stylo 4 on the list for Pie they're locking things down as tight as possible until after the update is released?

27th April 2019, 09:01 AM |#292  

More
I strongly doubt that some noob flipping a switch will hardly be a revelation, but I turned on dev options for the first time on this phone (LM-Q710MS) and the OEM Unlock switch flipped for me.

After discovering this, I tried closing settings, thinking that it would revert upon reopening. Not yet.

So I decided to restart to see if it would revert then. After the reboot I went into developer settings and it was still toggled on.

Again, I'm doubting a noob flipping a switch will be any kind of revelation. I'm guessing it's some knowledge gap of mine.
27th April 2019, 09:37 AM |#293  
Quote:
Originally Posted by caff3inekills

I strongly doubt that some noob flipping a switch will hardly be a revelation, but I turned on dev options for the first time on this phone (LM-Q710MS) and the OEM Unlock switch flipped for me.

After discovering this, I tried closing settings, thinking that it would revert upon reopening. Not yet.

So I decided to restart to see if it would revert then. After the reboot I went into developer settings and it was still toggled on.

Again, I'm doubting a noob flipping a switch will be any kind of revelation. I'm guessing it's some knowledge gap of mine.

Ok, you enabled the OEM unlock setting, what point are you trying to make?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
27th April 2019, 09:51 AM |#294  

More
I thought that was the point of contention. There have been issues unlocking the bootloader with this phone.
29th April 2019, 12:07 AM |#295  
Quote:

I thought that was the point of contention. There have been issues unlocking the bootloader with this phone.

That setting doesn't necessarily unlock the bootloader. Typically, there is a bit more involved than just toggling that setting.

29th April 2019, 12:10 AM |#296  

More
I read some articles that say unlocking the bootloader is simply turning own unlock on. Is this true?
29th April 2019, 01:43 AM |#297  
Quote:
Originally Posted by brncgreen

I read some articles that say unlocking the bootloader is simply turning own unlock on. Is this true?

In a previous post in this thread, I stated that "some" devices can unlock bootloader with just that setting, but it is very device specific. This device does not seem to be one of the "some" devices. In fact, with the way android is becoming more secure with each new version, I doubt that just toggling this setting unlocks bootloader on anything with Marshmallow/Nougat or newer android. This would make it too easy to put the device in an insecure state, something that OEMs are getting more determined to prevent.

29th April 2019, 02:16 AM |#298  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

In a previous post in this thread, I stated that "some" devices can unlock bootloader with just that setting, but it is very device specific. This device does not seem to be one of the "some" devices. In fact, with the way android is becoming more secure with each new version, I doubt that just toggling this setting unlocks bootloader on anything with Marshmallow/Nougat or newer android. This would make it too easy to put the device in an insecure state, something that OEMs are getting more determined to prevent.

Yeah thank you, understood. I haven't fiddled with this stuff for a while so whatever little bit of knowledge I had is extremely rusty.

Thank you for the clarification.
29th April 2019, 02:20 AM |#299  
Quote:

Yeah thank you, understood. I haven't fiddled with this stuff for a while so whatever little bit of knowledge I had is extremely rusty.

Thank you for the clarification.

Don't get me wrong, I could be completely mistaken in regard to this particular device. Don't just take my word for it.

29th April 2019, 02:26 AM |#300  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Don't get me wrong, I could be completely mistaken in regard to this particular device. Don't just take my word for it.

No, you're right, I flipped the switch a few days ago and finally got around to doing a root check last night and no root.

Edit: At this point I simply don't have any time to dedicate to fiddling around with this, and even if I did my limited knowledge would be a real hurdle.
29th April 2019, 02:31 AM |#301  
Quote:

No, you're right, I flipped the switch a few days ago and finally got around to doing a root check last night and no root.

That is correct, because flipping the switch doesn't root the device.

In a "perfect world", it would go like this.

1) you would toggle the OEM unlock setting, this would unlock the bootloader to allow flashing unsigned files onto the device.

2) then you would either flash a TWRP.img on the device and then use that TWRP recovery to flash the Magisk installer to root the device, or use Magisk on PC to flash a modified boot.img on the device and then install the Magisk app/framework to root the device.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg-stylo-4

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)