Table Of Contents:
i. INTRODUCTION, GETTING MIXPLORER, & INSTALLATION (This post)
ii. UI, NAVIGATION, VIEW CONFIGURATION, BOOKMARKS, TABS
iii. WORKING WITH FILES & FOLDERS (Copy Move methods, Trash option)
iv. FTP, HTTP, TCP SERVERS
v. PLUG-INS & SETTINGS
vi. THEMES and SKINS
vii. BUG REPORTING, TROUBLESHOOTING, AND FAQ WIP
As well said by MiXplorer's introduction on the main thread:
"MiXplorer (Mix of Explorers) is a fast, smooth, beautiful, reliable and fully-featured file manager with a simple and intuitive user interface." created by XDA member and Recognized Developer @HootanParsa. I (IronTechmonkey) am an avid MiXplorer user and tester who volunteered to create the FAQ but I am not the/a developer.
This FAQ attempts to describe the many configuration options, file & folder operations, skinning &theming options, and additional utilities offered by MiXplorer, as well as to share some workarounds for known issues or specific usage scenarios. Please feel free to provide: additional documentation, suggestions, corrections, etc. MiX FAQ contributions can be posted in this thread and linked to the OPs or added to the OPs.
Thank you all for your input already as much of what is written here comes from exploration based your questions and answers in the main MiXplorer thread. Thanks to @HootanParsa for such a good file management utility.
Please continue to direct bug reporting and tech discussion to the primary MiXplorer thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1523691.
There are several ways to get MiXplorer and keep it updated, each of which may appeal to different usage cases. Eg one person may just want the next stable update while another may want the very newest test version to test a particular new fix or feature.
1) Main Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1523691
This is the best place to start for people who want the latest stable version, which is usually available in post 2. Even if you are going to get a newer test version (described later) it is always a good idea to check the main thread's OPs to see what version # is flagged as stable, as well as check the change-log. Note: Occasionally the change-log's newest description is for an update that has not yet been released.
2) XDA Labs. https://forum.xda-developers.com/and.../labs-t3241866
The XDA Labs Android app can be used to update MiXplorer. The MiXplorer version may not be exactly the same as latest "stable" in MiXplorer thread but this is a "stable" update track.
3) APK Mirror: DISCLAIMER: This is a repository of more versions of MiX than most people would need, but some of these builds may be helpful in some situations. If you don't have a specific reason to use a specific version available here then please use the latest release version from the OPs of the development thread (or from XDA Labs) or test the newest version posted in the thread for testing.
MiX at APK Mirror: https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=pishrodevs.
4) MiXplorer website (search for "MiXplorer website) in the main thread):
For those who are specifically testing new updates and prepared to revert or change versions if something does not work, there is a MiXplorer website where the new (and sometimes temporary) test versions might be obtained. Rather than share the link here, I encourage people interested in this to follow the main thread where it is explained. There may also be interim versions linked in various posts in the main thread.
5) APKMirror RSS Feeds:
Note: The ApkMirror RSS feeds are considered by many to be a similarly "stable" and up to date as the main MiXplorer thread and XDA Labs but it offers less information about the development progression of recent updates.
[EDIT - Dec 19 2018 - MiXplorer on Playstore]:
As announced by HootanParsa here https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...ostcount=27232
"MiX Silver a bundle of MiX with Archive and SMB2 addons and the latest language resources is uploaded in Play store as a paid app to support the development of MiXplorer. If you liked it and installed it and found a problem, please let me know. Thank you very much. "
Here is a note from HootanParsa about the hostory of M/iXplorer on Playstore https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...691&p=73870110.
Several MiXplorer Add-ons are available at Play Store for those who want to use them or just want to support development.
After installing MiXplorer there are some things that must be done in order to give MiXplorer proper access to storage locations and root or SU access. It is a good idea to get these things out of the way as part of the installation (or update) of MiXplorer rather than on-the-fly as you need to perform file management tasks. Here is a brief walk-through of how to give MiXplorer it's requisite permissions. This is written for Android Nougat which has more of these prerequisites than earlier Android versions so please note that things may differ across different ROMs and SU/root methods:
Do this stuff first, immediately after installing MiXplorer but before configuring it and importing skins and or settings
- At first run of MiXplorer post-installation, at prompt "Allow MiXplorer to access photos, media, and files on your device?" Select to Allow.
- Navigate to Root "/" to force first time SU permissions request. Select " allow" and "remember" (however your SU utility presents those options).
- Navigate to external SD and create a new folder. After you select OK to create the folder there should a prompt "Attention Please select Ext SD... to gain permissions". Note: In some situations you may not have to create a folder to invoke this prompt.
- Tap OK, then navigate to root of external SD, then tap Select, then you should be back at the MiXplorer folder creation dialog in which you can tap OK, then verify that the folder was created.
- If your device requires Busybox then you'll want to get that set up as well.
- Please report bugs in the primary MiXplorer thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1523691.
- Bug reports should include. details about your device (Android version, ROM version, Root status, SU method, MiXplorer version) as well as a step by step description of how to reproduce the issue and a log taken while the issue was reproduced. There are more suggestions for testing, logging and reporting bugs in this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...67&postcount=7