FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MiXplorer: Q&A and FAQ (User Manual)

6,421 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,873
 
By IronTechmonkey, Recognized Contributor on 5th February 2016, 05:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th February 2017, 03:20 PM |#121  
marciozomb13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 679
 
Donate to Me
More
Could someone teach me how to batch remove file extension?
 
 
1st March 2017, 05:10 AM |#122  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,873
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciozomb13

Could someone teach me how to batch remove file extension?

That's a good question. I've been playing around with some totally discard-able test files but unable to figure it out. Using "extension" will rename the extension but it requires an entry and will not accept a blank field. Using "full name" might remove the extension but mangles the rest of the file names. It would not surprise me if regex was the way to go.
1st March 2017, 09:57 AM |#123  
marciozomb13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 679
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

That's a good question. I've been playing around with some totally discard-able test files but unable to figure it out. Using "extension" will rename the extension but it requires an entry and will not accept a blank field. Using "full name" might remove the extension but mangles the rest of the file names. It would not surprise me if regex was the way to go.

Forgive me for mentioning a rival app but Solid Explorer batch rename system is close to perfect, we don't need to try and miss because it have a preview system and click-able placeholders, that make the life a lot easier, and leaving Regex stuff for advanced users. I Hope Hootan can implement something like that in the future. Thank you for your time.
The Following User Says Thank You to marciozomb13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marciozomb13 Ad-Free
1st March 2017, 05:46 PM |#124  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,873
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciozomb13

Forgive me for mentioning a rival app but Solid Explorer batch rename system is close to perfect, we don't need to try and miss because it have a preview system and click-able placeholders, that make the life a lot easier, and leaving Regex stuff for advanced users. I Hope Hootan can implement something like that in the future. Thank you for your time.

I try to learn and support Regex because I need to in order to help tweak the documentation for MiXplorer (and I benefit from the knowledge gained) but even with familiarity of old DOS wildcards I struggle to grasp regex. I agree with you in principle like your suggestion. I'm not familiar with Solid Explorer but, another comparison I would offer is the way Total Commander on PC handles batch renames and using wildcards and a UI that shows previews of the impending changes. I'm tempted to suggest posting this as a feature request in the primary thread but for now will just add a mention for @HootanParsa so he can check it out here.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
2nd March 2017, 05:13 AM |#125  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,873
 
More
FYI: the "Bug reporting, Troubleshooting, and FAQ WIP" post here https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...67&postcount=7 now contains links to posts in the thread where information is being gathered. This way people can find their way to that material through the OPs. At present BusyBox and Searches have such links, although the material at those links still needs some work.
3rd March 2017, 06:15 AM |#126  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,873
 
More
MiX Nugget - Bookmark Sections
WIP about "Section" to be added to OP after more exploration:

Sections can be used to organize bookmarks.

- To create a section: Open Bookmarks Drawer - tap hamburger menu - tap "Create Section".

- Tap the Section title to expand or collapse everything underneath it until the next section.

- A section label can be edited or deleted, or can be dragged up or down the list, all in the same manner as a Bookmark.

-------------------
The WIP for the OP is above. What follows is a description of some expected and unexpected nice things in the clever way HootanParsa has implemented the Sections feature.

I have nearly 30 bookmarks which can be hard for monkey paw to navigate without accidentally dragging bookmarks. Now they are divided into 5 sections which allow for the following:

- Perform certain categories of tasks with minimal addition tapping or swiping in Drawer (once the work sections are expanded and the others are collapsed).

- Access any bookmark with no more than 3 taps with no swipe: This is a highly subjective thing but I find that series of taps is quicker and more constant each time than swiping a list up and down.

- When you want to move a Bookmark a long way up or down the list this may be useful: An individual bookmark can be dragged and moved across collapsed sections, from top to bottom (or vise versa) of even very long lists without any scrolling (or with minimal scrolling). The drag operation skips over a collapsed section as if it is just one item. The usefulness of this to anyone depends on how they their bookmarks organized but for 30, roughly evenly distributed into 5 groups this is very nice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
3rd March 2017, 05:23 PM |#127  
HootanParsa's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 28,708
 
More
@IronTechmonkey
- I renamed "Add section" to "Add header". Which one do you think is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciozomb13

Could someone teach me how to batch remove file extension?

Enter the name: $1
Regex pattern: (.*)\.[^.]+$

I'll improve the batch rename ASAP.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HootanParsa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2017, 05:43 PM |#128  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,873
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HootanParsa

@IronTechmonkey
- I renamed "Section" to "Header". Which one do you think is better?

I can understand the inclination to call it a header a from a programming or technical point of view, but IMO "Section" is a better one-word description because the word section implies that it could be one of several, while the word header could be interpreted as a label at the top of one large list or the top of small parts of the lists... aka sub-sections. A section is somewhat defined by other sections where a header is not necessarily so.

So, I think that in this case words like "Section" and "Group" do better at describing the underlying function is to a wider range of users.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
3rd March 2017, 05:59 PM |#129  
HootanParsa's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 28,708
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

I can understand the inclination to call it a header a from a programming or technical point of view, but IMO "Section" is a better one-word description because the word section implies that it could be one of several, while the word header could be interpreted as a label at the top of one large list or the top of small parts of the lists... aka sub-sections. A section is somewhat defined by other sections where a header is not necessarily so.

So, I think that in this case words like "Section" and "Group" do better at describing the underlying function is to a wider range of users.

Thank you so much.
Edit: 'Add section' or 'Create section'? Which one is better?
Edit: I changed it to 'Create section' based on your previous post.
3rd March 2017, 06:43 PM |#130  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,010
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HootanParsa

@IronTechmonkey
- I renamed "Add section" to "Add header". Which one do you think is better?


Enter the name: $1
Regex pattern: (.*)\.[^.]+$

I'll improve the batch rename ASAP.

Very helpful...

Thanks!


Peace and Love!
Peace and Love!
~Ringo Starr~

Sent on my Communicator [SCH-I535] from the Bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise...

********************************************
**IF I WAS HELPFUL IN ANY WAY THEN**
**PLZ THANK ME WITH A THUMBS UP!**
********************************************
The Following User Says Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
3rd March 2017, 06:57 PM |#131  
IronTechmonkey's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,873
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

Very helpful...

Thanks!

These samples and examples of how to use regex are very helpful indeed. I've linked that post to a Regex/Search post in the thread which is in turn linked to a section in the FAQ OP.

Also, sorry for the off topic but Werewolf. Wherewolf? Therewolf! Marty Feldman was awesome
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
faq, instructions, manual, mixplorer, q&a

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes