By IronTechmonkey, Recognized Contributor on 5th February 2016, 05:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th May 2018, 03:13 PM |#521  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,550

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

To your points, in-app use of long-press or double-tap any navbar button can conflict with native or tweaked ROM settings for navbar but in your case it sounds like the in-app exit by long-press back and your custom setting may be doing the exact same thing.

I am using an RR ROM (they have the "SmartBar" settings as a feature) and I have explicitly set the long press action of the back button to a kill current app function. And that's exactly what it does, it does not "exit" the app, it kills the app. The double press (again using the "SmartBar") has been set to the single handed mode. These settings appear to override any in-app setting(s); which makes them work consistently across all apps. There is no conflict, the ROM settings override any in-app functionality.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free

12th May 2018, 05:43 AM |#522  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

The other thing to check is the kernel you're running. It needs to have smb2 support turned on via a compile config option.

Is there any way to check this on a rooted-but-stock-rom Pixel? And if it isn't enabled... what would be the next step, as compiling my own kernel isn't the worst thing in the world but I doubt i'd find many guides to help there.
12th May 2018, 07:53 AM |#523  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,743

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirituri

Is there any way to check this on a rooted-but-stock-rom Pixel? And if it isn't enabled... what would be the next step, as compiling my own kernel isn't the worst thing in the world but I doubt i'd find many guides to help there.

I'm not sure. See if /proc/config.gz exists. If it does it contains the gzipped kernel configuration file. You can open that up to see if CONFIG_CIFS_SMB2 is set.
If that file doesn't exist (a config option needs to be set to generate it) then I don't know how to obtain the needed info. I suspect most custom kernels will have the option set, but I don't know about stock.
You could probably check the kernel source.

As far as compiling your own, I haven't compiled Android kernels but there are some guides available on XDA. For example
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ernel-t3627297

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ernel-t2871276

Just search on 'compile kernel'

You could also just run an appropriate custom kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
13th May 2018, 06:43 AM |#524  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I've tried to search and found nothing. Is there a way to make a default download folder so that when I try to download something it will just go top that folder instead of all the extra steps of the "Copy To" function?
13th May 2018, 02:42 PM |#525  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,624

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelesRomantc91

I've tried to search and found nothing. Is there a way to make a default download folder so that when I try to download something it will just go top that folder instead of all the extra steps of the "Copy To" function?

Every app has its specific download folder unless its settings let you choose your own; i.e. it's not dictated by MiX. So maybe I don't understand your question properly and/or a more precise description/example of which app cause you problems (extra steps) would help.

In any case, many apps save stuff in the main Internal storage/Download folder and you can set a bookmark (or is their a default one anyway?) or even assign a default tab for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1526218726453.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	4500144  
13th May 2018, 04:52 PM |#526  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 1,141

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [] AL []

In any case, many apps save stuff in the main Internal storage/Download folder and you can set a bookmark (or is their a default one anyway?) or even assign a default tab for it.

I believe he is talking about mix downloader, where every time you download a link, it is not automatically downloaded until you start the process by choosing the queue and pressing 'copy to' to start the download.

Quote:

As far as I know, there isn't a way to set a default folder, but you could always choose not to use mixplorer as the downloader app when you need to use the defaults.
If you have set mix as default, you could reset the app association from something like settings-apps-[app name]-clear defaults.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaqman89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shaqman89 Ad-Free
13th May 2018, 04:58 PM |#527  

More
[QUOTE=shaqman89;76507223]I believe he is talking about mix downloader, where every time you download a link, it is not automatically downloaded until you start the process by choosing the queue and pressing 'copy to' to start the download.

Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [

AL [];76506064]Every app has its specific download folder unless its settings let you choose your own; i.e. it's not dictated by MiX. So maybe I don't understand your question properly and/or a more precise description/example of which app cause you problems (extra steps) would help.

So when in in Chrome and I clock to download a file, the options I get are MiX's "Copy To..." (which opens up MiX, then I have to click on the little menu and click the copy action) and Chrome. If I click Chrome, it will just automatically download to my Downloads folder. I wasn't an option to just click MiX when I'm prompted to download something, but not have to do the extra steps of the "Copy To..." action.
13th May 2018, 05:25 PM |#528  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,874

More
Quote:

...So when in in Chrome and I clock to download a file, the options I get are MiX's "Copy To..." (which opens up MiX, then I have to click on the little menu and click the copy action) and Chrome. If I click Chrome, it will just automatically download to my Downloads folder. I wasn't an option to just click MiX when I'm prompted to download something, but not have to do the extra steps of the "Copy To..." action.

AFAIK the association of 1) "download" with "app-or service that runs the download" comes before 2) "MiX, as designated download utility is asking where to save file", and it seems like your are at item #2, ie, your downloaded has been associated with MiX. These things can occur with any web browsers (and the way Chrome manages notifications can makes things worse). You can try to reset your browser download defaults, which might be tricky because this involves MiX and web browsers as well as possible ROM specific components (download manager). Try some combination of these actions (at your own risk - backups assumed):

- Clear defaults (and cache and data) for "Download manager" (possibly other ROM specific services)
- Freeze/defrost existing browsers.
- Uninstall/reinstall existing browsers.
- Install an additional browser (one that you don't intend to use) just to force the default download prompt, then uninstall it.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
14th May 2018, 01:34 AM |#529  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,550

More
Quote:

Although a lot more tedious, but if you only have a few specific ones in mind, you could also set up specific symlinks on boot to all point to the same/one folder. Just an idea.
14th May 2018, 01:43 AM |#530  

More
Let me try starting over.

When I download a file from the internet using MiX, it prompts me to select a folder, then click the clipboard icon, then click the item to copy it to the selected folder. I want it to not so all that. I just want it to download without having to select a folder, click the clipboard, and click the item.
14th May 2018, 02:52 AM |#531  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,874

More
Quote:

Let me try starting over.

When I download a file from the internet using MiX, it prompts me to select a folder, then click the clipboard icon, then click the item to copy it to the selected folder. I want it to not so all that. I just want it to download without having to select a folder, click the clipboard, and click the item.

No need to start over. The people replying to you seem to understand this but you may not be understanding the intended purpose of the tools at your disposal, so some clarification:

The fact that the MiX copy-to feature offers a manual way to select a destination and save a file is not a problem - that is specifically the reason that feature exists!

If you don't want to use that feature then don't set it as your default download option. Rather, use your device's native downloader or the downloader included with your browser to download directly to the /<internal SD>/download location as described here. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=529.

I suppose this could be turned into a feature request: eg Have MiX remember the last folder to which it downloaded an item then skip the prompt to select location and save file but there are downsides to doing that among which are:

1) Defeats intended purpose of MiX download/copy-to which is to manually select location,
2) The MiX download/copy-to feature can intercept download intents from many apps and could leave users with downloads going to non standard locations without their knowing about it.

If you want to ask HP to add this as a feature then do so in the main thread and be prepared for the ensuing conversation, otherwise switch to different downloader as previously described. FWIW, I like this as a feature request but not enough to think it worth the risk.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
faq, instructions, manual, mixplorer, q&a

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)