Nextbook Ares 8 - What can I do with it?

Search This thread

ph4nt0m117

Aug 25, 2017
So the other day I found a nextbook Ares 8 basically in the trash. Within 10 minutes of being home I fixed and rooted it and fiddled around with it. Its got a 4 core atom that runs at 1.83GHz, 2mb cache, and I think 1 gig of ram? Either way it should handle android a lot better than it does. If I make android do anything more than a web browser or SNES emulator it completely crashes and turns off and all I can say is that the ROM is just garbage.

Being that its a 64 bit intel processor I would think I can put linux on it. I have a keyboard case with it so thats not a concern really. Is there a way to flash a conventional UEFI to it rather than TWRP? Or the android bootloader? Theres other roms out there than are just AOSP android but I'd rather not have it run that.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Oct 9, 2019
Have you yet discovered it's bios? These things are kinda cool, but somewhat of an ass pain. OTG cable with a keyboard can get you to BIOS with Esc on boot. A USB Hub (powered if possible, i've seen unpowered work though) and a bootable usb like any normal pc for the good stuff.
I've had Windows 8 running on one of these Cherry/Baytrail x86_64 guys (NX16A10132). The Ares8a and 10a seem to have almost the same if not THE same bios settings. Definitely the same "InsydeH20 Setup Utility" bios. But if you haven't already discovered all this, these things are way more of a mini/tablet pc than an Android device. They all have settings for running Windows in bios.