FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

powkiddy x16 SoC droid clone?

1,012 posts
Thanks Meter: 440

Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone seen these handheld retro units from China? Gba, gb, gbc, nes, snes, Sega, psx, cps1+2.

I'm trying to locate firmware. Factory or otherwise, trying to figure out what this is running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181218_130547.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	4668517  

21st December 2018, 05:06 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by godkingofcanada

Anyone seen these handheld retro units from China? Gba, gb, gbc, nes, snes, Sega, psx, cps1+2.

I'm trying to locate firmware. Factory or otherwise, trying to figure out what this is running.

Hello,

I bought one, and after watching a few videos i wrote in the comments of a Youtuber who's pretty knowledgeable about these kind of units. He told that it runs some kind of linux, and that several similar units are hacked and flashed with a distro that while imo is still very dated, runs a lot better and truly shows the potential of the device. The distro is called open dingu os, if im not mistaken. Here is the link of the video. Hopefully this helps. I would love to have the device with a better os. https://youtu.be/izKA3_rtDD0

EDIT:

I also found the forum for the OS used to improve these devices:
https://boards.dingoonity.org
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnySJ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnnySJ Ad-Free
21st December 2018, 09:38 PM |#3  
Thank you!
21st December 2018, 09:41 PM |#4  
I know Rob a little. I'm the guy who did a full unit teardown. The photos are up here on xda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181221-154113.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	4670372  
22nd December 2018, 04:43 PM |#5  

More
That's awesome!
Man, im crossing my fingers. Hopefully this unit can be improved. Thanks!
23rd December 2018, 04:22 AM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySJ

That's awesome!
Man, im crossing my fingers. Hopefully this unit can be improved. Thanks!

No problem. I've got a small army of development boards. It's very possible I can find a way in. PS4 was modded using the same setup. And this has absolutely nowhere near that type of security I'm sure.
23rd December 2018, 04:28 AM |#7  
Plus, there has to be a way. They flashed it at the factory. I opened it up looking to see if maybe there was an internal sd, but no. It's a flash memory. And I don't think I saw two. So it must be partitioned to keep us out. Maybe I can find a tool to unpartition it or locate the hidden partition.
27th December 2018, 03:36 PM |#8  

More
I am definitely not at your technical skill level, but does that mean it actually comes with an SD that has been specifically partitioned to be seen by that os? Is it removable? Maybe inside a linux distro you can see the contents or the partition table. Also, you mentioned "flash" thats a term i normally hear for Android. So does this unit probably have a bootloader of some sort?
27th December 2018, 05:56 PM |#9  

More
Ok. I saw your other post, it answered my questions. As i am nowhere near your technical skill level, i can help by doing some research, maybe i can find the firmware files. If they intended to update the device at some point, then there must be a repo somewhere with the OG firmware...

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Found their website:
http://www.powkiddygame.com

Now I'll do some digging and try to find the firmware...
7th January 2019, 10:35 PM |#10  

More
Haven't had any luck finding the firmware. Their site afaikn cannot be translated bc it uses images instead of text. I am trying to contact a Chinese friend with some tech knowledge to see if he can find out more in the site, or in the social network used in china (Weiboo). I'll keep you posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnySJ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnnySJ Ad-Free
13th March 2019, 09:43 PM |#11  
Flag Barnsley
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Has anybody got further with this I'm needing the powkiddy x18 firmware and I'm stuck cant find it anywhere.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)