FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

RCA Voyager rct6873w42 rooting help

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By insanemhelo, Junior Member on 22nd October 2016, 07:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was wondering does anyone know of a working way to apply root to this device. I have tried kingo root, king root, iroot, one click root, and impactor. Everyone of them fails when trying to apply the root. i thought maybe i could attempt to unlock the bootloader on the deivce cause that might be what is causing them to fail. I booted into recovery and then clicked reboot into bootloader and the device just boots normal so i am unable to get into the bootloader to even attempt to unlock it. I'm at a roadblock with this device. If anyone can help me get root on this device i would be grateful.
4th November 2016, 09:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Well I believe that you have enable bootloader unlock in developer tools before you can unlock the bootloader
27th November 2016, 12:16 AM |#3  
Flag colorado springs
Thanks Meter: 317

More
i enabled oem unlock in developer options what now

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

i tried adb reboot fastboot get a blank screen

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

i tried adb reboot bootloader and just does a normal reboot

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

im using minimal adb and fastboot program for windows
1st December 2016, 08:36 AM |#4  
Flag colorado springs

More
I tried framaroot no go kingoroot app gets to 70 % then gives me a download error idk what else to try only one site has the rct6873w42 firmware and its paid adb shell reboot fastboot also fails with blank screen

sent from my nexus 4 using Tapatalk I also own a voyager tablet and I also own an I phone 4s
12th December 2016, 09:21 AM |#5  
Flag Montezuma
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

I tried framaroot no go kingoroot app gets to 70 % then gives me a download error idk what else to try only one site has the rct6873w42 firmware and its paid adb shell reboot fastboot also fails with blank screen

sent from my nexus 4 using Tapatalk I also own a voyager tablet and I also own an I phone 4s

When you reboot into fastboot mode a blank screen is correct... you can use the fastboot commands from the connected PC
at this point.

I have got this far however I have had no luck thus far in unlocking the bootloader, this is not an indication that it cant be done
just that I do not know the proper command in fastboot, most of my work on Tablets has been on the Allwinner SOC's and I
almost never had to use Fastboot in modding those since the bootloader is not locked on those SOC's for the most part.

RCA has very little useful info on their site nor even a Firmware download available... I would love to get ahold of a firmware for this Tablet in order to make modding it easier, failing that if I can manage to root it I should be able to pull the partitions and create a useable firmware mod... If you have any more luck with this please share whatever info you get and I will do the same.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to fsebentley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fsebentley Ad-Free
12th December 2016, 10:02 AM |#6  
Flag colorado springs

More
RCA Voyager rct6873w42 rooting help
Fastboot oem unlock is the normal command to unlock the bootloader for Fastboot devices i saw another reason tablet on xda developers I believe it was called rca viking or something similar there is a bootloader unlock and root thread for that device maybe worth looking at
Here is the paid site I have 2g so I can't check the website to see if it legitimate
http://www.sitelinks.info/notepad.ph...I_RI7-1grLywDQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

This website claims to http://www.srsroot.com/ have rooted the tablet but they are known for false root proclamations worth a check

12th December 2016, 11:46 AM |#7  
Flag Montezuma

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Fastboot oem unlock is the normal command to unlock the bootloader for Fastboot devices i saw another reason tablet on xda developers I believe it was called rca viking or something similar there is a bootloader unlock and root thread for that device maybe worth looking at
Here is the paid site I have 2g so I can't check the website to see if it legitimate
http://www.sitelinks.info/notepad.ph...I_RI7-1grLywDQ

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

This website claims to http://www.srsroot.com/ have rooted the tablet but they are known for false root proclamations worth a check

I tried the oem unlock command and it does not work, returns command fail...

The Viking uses the MT8127 SOC which would tend to have a different Firmware.. since that is a chinese SOC I expect the unlock to be
a bit easier typically i have found that on Tablets they often do not even lock the bootloader... the Sofia 3gr or Atom X3 is in the tab we have I have been looking into similar devices... so far I have not got much reading done on these... I will have a look at any info I can locate on here regarding the Viking .. but I have already read about some of the other Model # / versions of the Voyager on here and ours is not the same. The ones I have read up on so far do not seem to have a major problem rooting. This one is a bit of a pain as I cant use adb in root mode which when possible makes rooting much easier...

The link to the Paid site you posted seems to be dead...

I have tried SRSRoot which also does not work... actually i have attempted using Kingoroot, iroot, rootgenius, framaroot, towelroot, tunesgo
and OneClickRoot none have any success at all... they do indicate varying degrees of progress but in the end the most that any has accomplished is to push their app to the tab.

I will keep trying and looking... perhaps I will locate a firmware for these out there so i can examine the partitions and their contents more
closely...

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fsebentley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fsebentley Ad-Free
20th December 2016, 02:00 AM |#8  
Flag Joliet
Thanks Meter: 20

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsebentley

I tried the oem unlock command and it does not work, returns command fail...

The Viking uses the MT8127 SOC which would tend to have a different Firmware.. since that is a chinese SOC I expect the unlock to be
a bit easier typically i have found that on Tablets they often do not even lock the bootloader... the Sofia 3gr or Atom X3 is in the tab we have I have been looking into similar devices... so far I have not got much reading done on these... I will have a look at any info I can locate on here regarding the Viking .. but I have already read about some of the other Model # / versions of the Voyager on here and ours is not the same. The ones I have read up on so far do not seem to have a major problem rooting. This one is a bit of a pain as I cant use adb in root mode which when possible makes rooting much easier...

The link to the Paid site you posted seems to be dead...

I have tried SRSRoot which also does not work... actually i have attempted using Kingoroot, iroot, rootgenius, framaroot, towelroot, tunesgo
and OneClickRoot none have any success at all... they do indicate varying degrees of progress but in the end the most that any has accomplished is to push their app to the tab.

I will keep trying and looking... perhaps I will locate a firmware for these out there so i can examine the partitions and their contents more
closely...

Thanks

Were you ever able to gain root?
20th December 2016, 03:10 AM |#9  
Flag colorado springs

More
I haven't yet

21st December 2016, 07:18 PM |#10  
Flag Montezuma

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a bird xo

Were you ever able to gain root?

No I have still not got root access, I have unlocked the tablet and am exploring ways to load a recovery image from fastboot without flashing it. I have also inquired with RCA about getting a copy of the Firmware and I continue to search google etc. for the firmware. Once I have the firmware I am confident that I can root the Tablet fairly quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to fsebentley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fsebentley Ad-Free
21st December 2016, 07:35 PM |#11  
Flag colorado springs

More
How did you get bootloader unlock?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)