FORUMS

Remove COVID-19 contact tracing

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By progonkpa, Junior Member on 29th May 2020, 06:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you go into settings and search for 'covid', you'll see settings implying that contact tracing functionality is installed.
How far does it go? It needs bluetooth but will it enable bluetooth regardless if you enable your antenna or not?
Will it show your bluetooth to be on or not?

I don't need answers to these questions. I want to remove this stuff from my phone.

My understanding is that the functionality was installed 'as a part of' and 'in an update of' Google Play-Services.

To remove it, I guess we would need a modified Google Play-Services package
or
remove Google Play-Services altogether.

I don't know to what lengths Google Play-Services is required by OxygenOS or other distros for that matter.
Google Apps won't work anymore without it. That definitely suck for Translate and Maps but I guess there are alternatives for that.
Google bought Waze. I wonder if Waze needs Google Play-Services..

I never was a fan of custom ROMs and rooting. I was perfectly happy with OxygenOS (OnePlus 7).
Now I really don't care, I want this garbage off my phone. Kr,
29th May 2020, 07:04 AM |#2  
Flag Petaling Jaya
Thanks Meter: 239

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by progonkpa

If you go into settings and search for 'covid', you'll see settings implying that contact tracing functionality is installed.

How far does it go? It needs bluetooth but will it enable bluetooth regardless if you enable your antenna or not?

Will it show your bluetooth to be on or not?

I don't need answers to these questions. I want to remove this stuff from my phone.

My understanding is that the functionality was installed 'as a part of' and 'in an update of' Google Play-Services.

or

remove Google Play-Services altogether.

I don't know to what lengths Google Play-Services is required by OxygenOS or other distros for that matter.

Google Apps won't work anymore without it. That definitely suck for Translate and Maps but I guess there are alternatives for that.

Google bought Waze. I wonder if Waze needs Google Play-Services..

I never was a fan of custom ROMs and rooting. I was perfectly happy with OxygenOS (OnePlus 7).

Now I really don't care, I want this garbage off my phone. Kr,

Next phone you can consider huawei.. Lol.. Legally required to ship with no trace of Google.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
20th June 2020, 11:19 PM |#3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 37

More
OpenGapps the way forward?
Quote:
Originally Posted by progonkpa

I am interested in this approach, as Aurora Store isn't able to fully replace google play at this time (no app purchasing)

So I have 2. questions to the community at large:
  • Would OpenGapps be the way forward? would this prevent googleplayserevices from be update by google thus preventing unauthorised/non-consented changes that facilitate state-level tracking.
  • And regard9ing the existing google services is there anyway to disable the covid19 toast notification appearing everytime time you enabled/disable bluetooth and or gps. The xposed module 'EnhancedToast' is able to do this, but only works on Andoird 6/7 or below.
21st June 2020, 08:38 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1k3rdude

I am interested in this approach, as Aurora Store isn't able to fully replace google play at this time (no app purchasing)

So I have 2. questions to the community at large:

• Would OpenGapps be the way forward? would this prevent googleplayserevices from be update by google thus preventing unauthorised/non-consented changes that facilitate state-level tracking.
  • And regard9ing the existing google services is there anyway to disable the covid19 toast notification appearing everytime time you enabled/disable bluetooth and or gps. The xposed module 'EnhancedToast' is able to do this, but only works on Andoird 6/7 or below.

Covid-19 contact tracing requires installing an app, if you, yourself, the user, have not installed some form of Covid-19 contact tracing app, then you "should" be in the clear unless you somehow agreed to/allowed/gave permission to something without knowing what you were agreeing to/allowing/giving permission to .

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
29th June 2020, 06:40 PM |#5  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Covid-19 contact tracing requires installing an app, if you, yourself, the user, have not installed some form of Covid-19 contact tracing app, then you "should" be in the clear unless you somehow agreed to/allowed/gave permission to something without knowing what you were agreeing to/allowing/giving permission to .

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Google admitting they installed this on your phone without your permission
youtube video titled "Exposure Notifications System: Helping Health Authorities fight COVID-19"

check your android - settings/general/google->COVID-19 Exposure Notifications
I'm assuming being rooted is required to do anything towards removing/disabling it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)