FORUMS

Is that safe ? Ask before!

1,299 posts
Thanks Meter: 689

By Raiz, Senior Member on 5th June 2020, 02:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is that safe ? Ask before!

This is a place to ask before doing anything with your Android Phone. It can be everything from deep modification to installing a creepy apk file you find on some weird website, it can also be physical modification like tear downs (I'll admit I'm not a pro with that). People here will help you determine if it's a good idea or not.
This place is also dedicated to ask about Android security and privacy.
The general goal here is to have a centralised place to learn about Android Security, and share knowledge.

Quote:

Quick disclamer: If you heard some advice here, never consider it's 100% risk-proof (it's just risk-resistant lol). Seriously, most of the time nothing bad happens, but no one here can be help responsible for your decisions/bad luck.

This thread is under construction right now, it'll be up and active in few hours (when I'm back from work)-> It'll take some days but once it's up it is
5th June 2020, 02:55 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Advices Central
This post is used to centralise every peace of advice in the thread, tag/quote me to get in

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia123

Hey !!
Do Andriod phones need antivirus or internet security as a must? If so provide me some links..
Thankxxxx in advance

My answer: It absolutely doesn't, please don't download them, those are mostly commercial apps full of ads that plays with the fears of users. They even slow down your device!

Android Security advice :

Quote:

• Just don't install apps that you don't trust (apk files and weird looking Google play apps)
• Never share your passwords with somebody not trusted, use a different one for each of you accounts.
• Don't install app asking off context permissions (e.g: calculator asking for camera/mic)
Find more here :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/security

General security and privacy:

Quote:

• For God sake be careful on what you share on social medias !

Quote:

• a VPN isn't a magic app that allows you to go completely invisible, even I can find who you are simply by using your latest Instagram post, the government doesn't have money to spend spying on you anyway

Quote:

• Public WiFi internet browsing is like taking a bath naked around other people, everybody can see what you're doing and can interact with your browsing by sending you pop up messages on your browser. In that case the VPN is useful. But please don't use anything other than your WiFi network to pay online.

Quote:

• Change password at least once a year
Update from @spart0n: once a month + use a password manager (I agree, for those who can spend more time)

Quote:

• If someone blackmails you, just ignore him even if he show you he has your real password/footage of you doing nasty things, most of the time they haven't and tries to scare you. But take action on your account, just don't answer them.

Quote:

• Not having any of your IRL infos online is a good idea, but it tends to be more and more difficult because of Google assistant, and other Google services that are super intrusive (I mean even with your YouTube Google know your tastes better than your buds). But don't panic, if you're not a terrorist or a criminal you're not risking your life.

App to keep my Android phone in good health :

Quote:

Google File Go (cleans files)
AccuBattery (check the battery health)
CPU-Z(has everything you want to know about your device)
Swift Backup (when I need to backup an app's data or the entire app) (thx @spart0n) --> root required + sign in with Google required
Titanium Backup (same as swift backup) -->root required, no sign in

Keep in mind that your security is fine most of the time if you have solid password, and you don't give them away, but your privacy is not if you have a social media account of any type. If you post something on the internet, remember it'll stay forever out there, whatever you do !

Post update changelog:

• Update #1: Reworking the post, now it's better looking + adding first update from @spart0n
The Following User Says Thank You to Raiz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Raiz Ad-Free
5th June 2020, 02:55 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Best Practices
This post is to centralise useful tips when modifying your phone's software of hardware
BACKUP YOUR DATA!
• If you face an issue when modifying (crashes,...), take a logcat (here is a shorter thread)
5th June 2020, 02:56 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Resources
This post will hold links from inside/outside xda to learn more about security/privacy

• Your google account keeps a trace of what you do, manage your account's data, start by reading this
Privacy Best Practices (from Google)
5th June 2020, 02:56 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Some News About security:
This post is a "shelf" including links to latest security news

• Yes, a wallpaper can "mess up" your device
5th June 2020, 02:57 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Recovery Central
Come on man! You messed up your device anyway! Fine, here you can find links to answered question threads, and other useful threads on how to recover this mess!
How To Unlock A Device with a Broken Screen (post 1 and 3)
• Hard brick ? You need Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008:
------> What is hard brick(just read the intro, the download links are for 1 specific device)
------>What is QDLoader 9008 and how to install (outside xda): https://www.the"custom droid".com/qualcomm-hs-usb-qdloader-9008-drivers/#Why-and-when-you-would-need-these-drivers
"custom droid" detected as slur, please remove space and " "
------>Official QDLoader Download links: Still searching lol
------>One funny thread I came across, learnt me some things:[Solved] Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 problem
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)