FORUMS

****** is my sd_card a rat ??? ******

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Konc88, Junior Member on 15th May 2020, 02:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello World, I have a question, maybe a stupid one, but here we go

Example: I buy a fresh, new android phone. First thing I do is insert an SD card that is full with photos. I open the gallery app and click on 8 photos from the SD card and look at them fullscreen. Now I remove the SD card from the phone. Question: Did these 8 photos (or any other non-clicked photos) in any way leave a trace in the internal storage of the phone, in the form of full copy, temporary copy, thumbnails...... (so in theory, this trace can be recovered with the proper recovery technique).

What do you think? Any answers are appreciated,
Thank you in advance, Leo.
15th May 2020, 07:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 20

Donate to Me
More
Whenever you use a gallery app in android to view photos or video from any medium(sd card or Internal storage or Usb otg),
A thumbnail file(image) is created fir every browsed image file, which is smaller in size also.
Which helps us browse the image faster without loading it.
Now since every android app stores all temporary file in Internal storage.
Therefor these thumbnails are also stored in Internal Storage.
Most of the thumbnail files are stored in "DCIM/. thumbnail" location.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk
19th May 2020, 02:01 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
howtorecover.me/images-stored-android-dcim-thumbnails#5
I have read this article and it claims that:

Thumbnail files are stored in DCIM folder:
/storage/emmc/DCIM/.thumbnails (if only phone memory is used)
/storage/sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails (if there is an SD card in the phone)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Galaxy S4 and S5 with an SD card. When I take a photo with the camera app, the photos are stored directly on the SD card (so the DCIM folder in my internal storage is empty). In the DCIM folder on my SD card there are currently 20 photos. When I use the Solid Explorer Classic app I am not able to see the DCIM/.thumbnails folder on the SD card, but I can see it on the internal storage.

The DCIM/.thumbnails folder on the internal storage does not have any thumbnails of the 20 photos from the SD card (but there are other thumbnails for example from viber app...).

So my question is: Where are these thumbnails of the 20 photos from the SD card located? (do they even exist?)

Thank you and all the best,
Leo
20th May 2020, 10:57 PM |#4  

More
No
No one can recover the original quality of those 8 pictures but the phone must save their thumbnails but these thumbs will have very low quality graphics.
23rd May 2020, 07:12 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Thank you for your replies.
Does anybody else have any extra thoughts?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)