UMIDIGI S2 Pro

Search This thread

Bi1a11979

Mar 28, 2016
Has anyone started to work on ROM for this phone, looking at the spec of this phone looks promising, it has a large battery capacity which is great but look at battery test for this phone it looks like stock software is not optimized, so just wondering if the community is willing to help optimize or any advise :D

lemotea

Nov 2, 2017
Has anyone started to work on ROM for this phone, looking at the spec of this phone looks promising, it has a large battery capacity which is great but look at battery test for this phone it looks like stock software is not optimized, so just wondering if the community is willing to help optimize or any advise :D
the review of low configuration umidigi S2 you can see on Youtube;)

r0ckarong

Dec 11, 2014
I've got the regular S2 for a couple of weeks now. It's a good phone with some downsides. Camera is not fantastic but good enough for everyday stuff. If you want amazing photos buy a flagship. Proximity sensor doesn't turn off screen properly while in a call, maybe fixed in future version. One of the major networks in Germany does not work for mobile data in most cases (O2 and Eplus joined and the phone can't handle the "data roaming").

Tech support is non existant. They will point you to their half chinese forums with barely any members that is spammed with press releases. Posting takes dozens of "money" that you must unlock with posts. Very unprofessional but maybe expected for such a relatively small company. There are no service addresses for repairs and the accessories market for that phone is very very limited. Barely any cases or screen protectors out there. If you break anything on this phone expect to get a new one. I have not tried yet but to get replacement parts for this seems near impossible at this point.

Other than that, screen is great for the resolution. Battery life is absolutely brilliant. I can get through a full day with using <40% battery and it lasts easily 3+ days on pure standby.
Wifi has become much better I think after the last firmware update. They are updating the phone but I wonder for how long. This is not a manufacturer that can or wants to support all of it's devices like big ones do.

Materials are good, maybe a bit slippery in the hands but all microblasted aluminium phones are like that.
Screen has a <1mm bezel between the side of the phone and the display surface but I don't care about that.
Build, to me, feels very good. Fingerprint sensor works well and fast. Android is 6.0.1 but I hope they will have an update to 7 or 8 at some point.

I don't care about benchmarks so I can't talk about that, my apps work well. Video streaming is fluid. No idea about 3D gaming I don't use my phone for that.

For that price it's a great phone imho.

PJKO

Oct 16, 2017
Decize
It has poor camera, other things are very good
What kind of custom could fix in it? Paranoid android?

Apparently it's possible to install TWRP on this Umidigi S2 :
https://www.getdroidtips.com/root-twrp-umidigi-s2-s2-pro/

I don't have Umidigi S2 to test but I'm very interested by the S2 Pro.

Perhaps it is possible to install Lenovo SNAPit Camera in order to improve the photos by flashing it with TWRP ? :
https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-lenovo-snapit-camera-redmi-note-4-t3608065

magatxda

Apr 20, 2010
Apparently it's possible to install TWRP on this Umidigi S2 :
https://www.getdroidtips.com/root-twrp-umidigi-s2-s2-pro/

I don't have Umidigi S2 to test but I'm very interested by the S2 Pro.

Perhaps it is possible to install Lenovo SNAPit Camera in order to improve the photos by flashing it with TWRP ? :
https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-lenovo-snapit-camera-redmi-note-4-t3608065
This post was a cut and paste from another phone.

Now the link for the custom recovery is available. I will probably give it a try just to be able to root the phone.

As of today, there is no available custom ROM available for the umidigi s2, although you can find posts on how to revert back to the stock ROM. Those posts are also just cut and pasted from other phones sharing the same cpu

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk

DoobyDroid

mine is out for delivery on the 23/11 not bad delivery from gearbest HK to UK ordered 16/11 shipped 18/11 dhl express paid £5-70 then a further £26 import duties from dhl , Reg S2 hopefully shipping with android 7.0 buy now but doubtful , hope the phone gets it's own section in the development department ,,

Sent from my Moto G4 using Tapatalk

r0ckarong

Dec 11, 2014

DoobyDroid

I just tried that and while the recovery installs my phone wouldn't boot afterwards. Maybe because I have the main partition encrypted but maybe for another reason.

Also for me the screen was flipped 180 degrees probably due to a backwards display in this phone.
Still early days I wouldn't personally try it but I'm sure in time this phone will get Dev support , I had some feed back from umi on there FB page regarding update to 7/8 they said there waiting on MediaTek's to release source or sdk as this P20 chip was built around Android 6 at the time and the P25 around 7 that's why pro ships with 7 that's what they said , also mentioned an update coming with a week but more likely bug patch still on Jan 2017 security , not the best look on a 2017 phone 2015 os

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Could not find it anywhere. Nowhere is it mentioned even for the pro version.
I'm sure I read somewhere some regions got nfc how true that is

NDbluewee

Oct 6, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Xiaomi 11T Pro
I've got the regular S2 for a couple of weeks now. It's a good phone with some downsides. Camera is not fantastic but good enough for everyday stuff. If you want amazing photos buy a flagship. Proximity sensor doesn't turn off screen properly while in a call, maybe fixed in future version. One of the major networks in Germany does not work for mobile data in most cases (O2 and Eplus joined and the phone can't handle the "data roaming").

Tech support is non existant. They will point you to their half chinese forums with barely any members that is spammed with press releases. Posting takes dozens of "money" that you must unlock with posts. Very unprofessional but maybe expected for such a relatively small company. There are no service addresses for repairs and the accessories market for that phone is very very limited. Barely any cases or screen protectors out there. If you break anything on this phone expect to get a new one. I have not tried yet but to get replacement parts for this seems near impossible at this point.

Other than that, screen is great for the resolution. Battery life is absolutely brilliant. I can get through a full day with using <40% battery and it lasts easily 3+ days on pure standby.
Wifi has become much better I think after the last firmware update. They are updating the phone but I wonder for how long. This is not a manufacturer that can or wants to support all of it's devices like big ones do.

Materials are good, maybe a bit slippery in the hands but all microblasted aluminium phones are like that.
Screen has a <1mm bezel between the side of the phone and the display surface but I don't care about that.
Build, to me, feels very good. Fingerprint sensor works well and fast. Android is 6.0.1 but I hope they will have an update to 7 or 8 at some point.

I don't care about benchmarks so I can't talk about that, my apps work well. Video streaming is fluid. No idea about 3D gaming I don't use my phone for that.

For that price it's a great phone imho.

Hi

Please check and correct me If I am wrong. According to UMI claimed that the first batch of S2 v1 come with non up gradable processor and hence, you can only maintain at Marshmallow version ie. Android 6 while S2 v2 (so called 2nd batch) can be upgraded to Android 7 (no idea to Android 8???). So guys, please check directly with UMI on this issue. I am thinking of getting the S2 Pro but would like UMI to confirm whether same issue with S2 v1 ???? Cheer s -:)

DoobyDroid

Hi

Please check and correct me If I am wrong. According to UMI claimed that the first batch of S2 v1 come with non up gradable processor and hence, you can only maintain at Marshmallow version ie. Android 6 while S2 v2 (so called 2nd batch) can be upgraded to Android 7 (no idea to Android 8???). So guys, please check directly with UMI on this issue. I am thinking of getting the S2 Pro but would like UMI to confirm whether same issue with S2 v1 ???? Cheer s -:)
I did get sim info from umi regarding diff chips that are built on certain version of Android v1 Android 6 V2 Android 7 they won't answer the question weather V1 can update to 7 all I got was there waiting for MediaTek to release source but unless big demand that will very unlikely happen as they have no need to probably

NDbluewee

Oct 6, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Xiaomi 11T Pro
I did get sim info from umi regarding diff chips that are built on certain version of Android v1 Android 6 V2 Android 7 they won't answer the question weather V1 can update to 7 all I got was there waiting for MediaTek to release source but unless big demand that will very unlikely happen as they have no need to probably

Below is the info extracted from Umidigi Forum lately .......
"Quote" They said the first batch of S2 will keep on Android 6 (there will be some updates, but nothing of update to Android 7). So the second batch of S2 and the S2 Pro will come with UMI OS Android 7. Anybody received handset with android 7.0 what date are the V2 or is that just referring to the Pro , mine is due 23/11 ordered 16/11 wondered if it will be V2 model with 7.0. Seems odd 2017 handset shipping with 2015 software .... Phone i received week ago got Android 6 so its V1. That will not work on the first v1 of Umidigi S2 sadly. It's made for MT6757D (S2 v2).
How ever there are phones out there already with MT6757 (Not MT6757D) will be on Android 7.0. "Unquote"

Hope this clear some of your thoughts. Thank you.

NDbluewee

Oct 6, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Bit of a con from umi
Won't be keeping it long then

This is what I got the reply from UMI moderator

S2 version 1 coming with Android 6 and can't be updated to higher android version.
S2 version 2 will be coming with Umidigi OS based on Android 7. Further updates are not confirmed.
S2 pro is coming with Umidigi OS based on Android 7. Further updates are not confirmed.

;):confused::silly::fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have an s2 Pro and can highly recommend you DO NOT BUY ONE! It is a massive pile of crap, here's why:
    Unresponsive screen to touch
    Very unresponsive near the edges - I. E. Where the home button is!
    Screen will sometimes stop working altogether forcing you to press the power button off and on to get it to work again. Not a full power cycle to be clear on that
    The camera is fairly poor
    It has two lenses but only one actually works! Ypu can cover the lower and get no change in pictures lol amazing....
    I haven't even got onto the hardware lock that prevents you rooting or installing anything different.
    Why should you need to use anything different? The stock rom is full of bloatware that Google play reports as dangerous. It can not be disabled in anyway if you wish to use the standard rom. God only knows why UMI thought this was a good idea.... You can now download and flash a slightly striped down 'basic' version of the rom that removes a lot of the problem spyware but still has the underlying UMI OS.
    Battery is large BUT without the junk apps that kill everything when the screen is off it is not too much more impressive then other phones. You have to whitelist apps to stop them being killed. I. E. You alarm might be killed off over night and not go off, your play music will just stop as the 'OS' thought it'd kill it for battery saving.... It also blocks all app startups on boot again to help preserve battery... We install apps generally as we want them to function! UMI OS thinks battery is more important!

Basically UMI have no longer got the devs that made this mess working for them from what I have read and are trying to release a pure stock Android OS. Issue is they can not beat the lock as they no longer have the people that made it working there. So attempts just brick the phones. It was said to be July it will be released but I'm yet to see any thing other than UMI actually asking us to help beat the lock! Hahahahha.... That's the challenge hopefully someone on here is looking for!
    Other issues include things like music stopping as you change app, it's like the 'context switch'(?) stops the cpu running the music app.
    I've probably loads of p's missing due to the screen Edge issue, so sorry about that!
    Also should say UMI now just use stock android as far as I know for new phones.
    So my Umi S2 with mt6757 chip will never see above Android 6 ?
    If so i am also getting rid of mine asap

I'm looking to port the s2 pro to the s2, I have both roms to work with but only the s2 4gb phone, I would like to use the scatter file from the s2 pro on the s2, any advice would be appreciated.
    Never buy from UMIDIGI (Stupid-phones)

Their last S2 PRO is really a piece of a ****.
    Alla this functions not work or not probably work
    -Multitasking
    -Notifications
    -Alarm, remind....
    -SMS (Texting)
    -many 3rd part apps
    -rooting (not work)
    -no support
    -All complains will deleted (UMIDIGI support forum)
    -Fake second camera (but i do not care)
    -Only one update from 2017-12-22
    -Fake 6 GB RAM (my galaxy S4 is quicker and smoother)
    -many other bugs
    -this is a stupidphone mot smart
    -320 $ is burned
    I put other rom's but none of them lets you connect to the cellular network. It asks for the code and then it does not make calls. I'm in Europe. Can anyone help?