Remove All Ads from XDA
Video Review Win A Trip

Any useable "open" phones?

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By brushed, Junior Member on 2nd January 2017, 09:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Use case
Ignoring free hardware for a moment, I'm looking for a phone (for daily use) where I can build almost all of the firmware/software (no binary blobs apart from the baseband firmware) running on (at least) the main processor from source. My interest lies heavily on the driver side of things.

Devices considered
Apart from the GTA04 (no BLE) and Neo900 (early prototype phase), Samsung's Z1/2/3 devices seem most promising. (If I missed anything that can be used on a daily basis, please correct me.) I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9505), but have only seen old blog posts about Tizen having been spotted running on it.

Questions
Has anyone looked at the source code provided for these devices and determined how much of a workable image can be built from it?
Samsung's source releases:
Z1: opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=z1
Z2: opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=z200
Z3: opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=z300

The ideal resource would be something like the page for the Sunxi (wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Sunxi)

Thank you.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)