FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Flashing systemless root. What is "echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu"

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By JustRootDontCustomRomIt, Guest on 22nd January 2016, 03:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm on the nexus 6p. I don't use android pay. If I want to have the best compatibility with root apps would I enable this or disable it? And what does it do anyway?

Chainfires update notes for 2.64 and beyond... (I'm installing 2.66)

Quote:

A major change in setup is that the ZIP installer will try to detect 6.0 firmwares that can be rooted without doing a systemless install. In other words, a root that modifies only /system, but not the boot image. If this is possible, the installer will install into /system (unless you override via "echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu").

This may catch (a) firmwares that allow sepolicy reloading from /data but have a locked bootloader and (b) custom firmwares setup to handle this. Regarding the latter, while it is not as clean as systemless, those running custom firmwares are more likely to want to modify /system anyway, it is less likely to mess with updates to those firmwares, and it prevents the necessity of reflashing the ZIP after each kernel switch. Of course, the kernel's SELinux policies must support this! See this thread for details for devs.

JustRootDontCustomRomIt
22nd January 2016, 09:21 AM |#2  

More
Bump please
JustRootDontCustomRomIt
22nd January 2016, 11:54 PM |#3  

More
Anyone?
9th January 2017, 06:25 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 159

More
I believe it tells the SuperSU zip to install in systemless mode, rather than normal mode.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)