FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Xiaomi Mi A1] Is anyone else surprised by this being called an Android One?

58 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By vijay-in, Member on 22nd September 2017, 02:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

Xiaomi Mi A1 came and my brother got one today. I looked into it and was surprised to find that it's an Android One device but missing the signature Google Apps/Features --

Google Phone (Dialer)
This device has com.android.dialer which is AOSP dialer, but even Micromax Canvas A1, the original Android One device has Google Dialer app and gets updated to date.

Google Contacts
Even when Google Contacts app is available to all devices from Play Store since recently, this device comes with AOSP Contacts App, out of my understanding.

Google Camera
This, maybe due to special Camera and lenses feature so justified, but Android One devices were considered Nexus/Pixel cheaper brothers and a variant of Google Camera was expected.

I have disabled AOSP Contacts and have installed Google Contacts, but the same is not possible for Google Phone app and hence it bothers me always. Why an Android One device wouldn't come with Google Phone/Dialer?

Also, there is a "Feedback" app from Xiaomi which can't be disabled. What purpose would it solve?

Why not Stock as it was in past Android One programs? This makes Android One more in control of Xiaomi's than in Google's. I didn't see any review or articles indicating towards this and feel a little cheated.

Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vijay-in For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vijay-in Ad-Free

25th September 2017, 05:59 AM |#2  
Flag City of Smiles
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Xiaomi is a Big company than those from Android One 1st and 2nd gen have.
Xiaomi and Google signed a partnership for Android One program, it doesn't owned wholely by Google.
The Following User Says Thank You to chonghua For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chonghua Ad-Free
25th September 2017, 10:29 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay-in

Hello,

Xiaomi Mi A1 came and my brother got one today. I looked into it and was surprised to find that it's an Android One device but missing the signature Google Apps/Features --

I have disabled AOSP Contacts and have installed Google Contacts, but the same is not possible for Google Phone app and hence it bothers me always. Why an Android One device wouldn't come with Google Phone/Dialer?

Thanks.

I too wondered the same, but, their is workaround.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-root-t3678721

You can download the Google dialer APK, make it the "Phone app" provide all the permissions. Works great for me. You can choose the disable the AOSP dialer if you wish.
The Following User Says Thank You to sal-neo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sal-neo Ad-Free
25th September 2017, 10:39 AM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Nowhere
Thanks Meter: 2,880

More
Quote:

Hello,

Google Phone (Dialer)
This device has com.android.dialer which is AOSP dialer, but even Micromax Canvas A1, the original Android One device has Google Dialer app and gets updated to date.

Google Contacts
Even when Google Contacts app is available to all devices from Play Store since recently, this device comes with AOSP Contacts App, out of my understanding.

Google Camera
This, maybe due to special Camera and lenses feature so justified, but Android One devices were considered Nexus/Pixel cheaper brothers and a variant of Google Camera was expected.

Also, there is a "Feedback" app from Xiaomi which can't be disabled. What purpose would it solve?

Why not Stock as it was in past Android One programs? This makes Android One more in control of Xiaomi's than in Google's. I didn't see any review or articles indicating towards this and feel a little cheated.

Thanks.

Nah, Google thought their first gen android one program wasn't successful. So, they started giving more control over hardware and also software to the OEMs this time. As a result, you can see android one OTA updates are handled by OEMs only, not the Google. That's all I know about.
The Following User Says Thank You to SachinXDA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SachinXDA Ad-Free
25th September 2017, 11:00 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag City of Joy

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin n

Nah, Google thought their first gen android one program wasn't successful. So, they started giving more control over hardware and also software to the OEMs this time. As a result, you can see android one OTA updates are handled by OEMs only, not the Google. That's all I know about.

Hi Sachin, call it the impression of earlier Android One program or having used Nexus all my time, I feel the Android One's android had to be Google's Android and not the AOSP or Partner Controlled ones. Even their advertising materials say that --

Code:
We’ve partnered with Google to bring you a pure Android phone that stays secure and fresh over time, with your favorite Google services front and center.
I am missing the so called Google Services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal-neo

I too wondered the same, but, their is workaround.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-root-t3678721

You can download the Google dialer APK, make it the "Phone app" provide all the permissions. Works great for me. You can choose the disable the AOSP dialer if you wish.

I have them already, but it's not that integrated, especially considering Dual SIM scenario. Also, it misses the Google Dialers features of SPAM blocking and Nearby searches.
25th September 2017, 01:19 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Post on MIUI Forums
Quote:

Hi Sachin, call it the impression of earlier Android One program or having used Nexus all my time, I feel the Android One's android had to be Google's Android and not the AOSP or Partner Controlled ones. Even their advertising materials say that --

I have them already, but it's not that integrated, especially considering Dual SIM scenario. Also, it misses the Google Dialers features of SPAM blocking and Nearby searches.

True. I would suggest making a post on Xiaomi forums for our Mi A1's and we'll possibly receive a positive response. (Google dialer integrated into Oreo, perhaps)
I'll doing that by EOD.
The Following User Says Thank You to sal-neo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sal-neo Ad-Free
25th September 2017, 01:37 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag City of Joy

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal-neo

True. I would suggest making a post on Xiaomi forums for our Mi A1's and we'll possibly receive a positive response. (Google dialer integrated into Oreo, perhaps)
I'll doing that by EOD.

Let's do and see.
25th September 2017, 01:40 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag City of Joy

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chonghua

Xiaomi is a Big company than those from Android One 1st and 2nd gen have.
Xiaomi and Google signed a partnership for Android One program, it doesn't owned wholely by Google.

We all know that, and none of the Android One makers or even Nexus makers were owned by Google. But, I am asking something different if you see.
26th November 2017, 11:32 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
yes, totally disappointed by what Xiaomi are doing with this device. If they do not fix the problems soon, It will become problem for the company to grow....
26th December 2017, 07:55 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
good feeling to use xiaomi mi A1
- 5.5 Inches 2.5D Screen, 1920 * 1080 Pixel
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 2.0GHz Octa Core
- Supports Touch ID
- 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM, Supports TF Card Up to 128GB
- 12 MP & 12 MP Dual Rear Camera + 5 MP Front Camera
- Android 7.1 system
- 3080mAh Battery, Supports Fast Charge
- Dual SIM: NANO SIM + NANO SIM / TF Card (Other SIM Slot Can Be Used in Combination with a NANO SIM Card or TF Card)
- Network: GSM 850/900/1800 / 1900MHz, WCDMA 850/900/1900 / 2100MHz, FDD-LTE B1 / B3 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B20, Supports 2G & 3G & 4G LTE Network

Mi A1 has design elements in common with other Xiaomi devices, but feels like an elegantly crafted upgrade.
The 5.5-inch LTPS IPS display on the Mi A1 makes for a good design choice with 2.5D curved glass at the top. The Full HD display delivers crisp visuals and excellent contrast, with a pixel density of 403 ppi.
The Mi A1 packs in 64 GB of internal storage which should be enough for most people, though there is a microSD card slot so you can expand its capacity up to another 128 GB.
The Xiaomi Mi A1 brings a dual camera setup to a mid-range smartphone. It’s not the first brand to do this, but it is the first one to offer 2x lossless optical zoom in its segment.
The camera setup includes a 12 MP wide-angle 26mm f/2.2 lens and another 12 MP 50mm f/2.6 telephoto lens, with a dual-tone LED flash.
20th April 2018, 05:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Mi a1
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android one, google dialer, google phone, xiaomi, xiaomi mi a1, xiaomi-mi-a1

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)