FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

YouTube Kids app icon missing in launcher

1,723 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,305

By iamelton, Senior Member on 18th August 2017, 11:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
as im not in one of those YT Kids app supported regions, i installed the app with APK (from apkmirror.com) and enjoyed it for over a year already.. however, today suddenly i realised that the app icon disappeared in my launcher drawer.. it was there a few hours ago and in between the period i didnt reboot the phone, didnt install or update any app, didnt touch any files in my phone..

i checked "/data/app" directory, and there was the "com.google.android.apps.youtube.kids-1" directory with all files intact.. i tried to re-install the apk and it went without any problem.. and there was a new "/data/app/com.google.android.apps.youtube.kids-2" directory created with all files same as the previous installation.. but the app icon just did not appear in the drawer..

i tried to switch to the stock launcher, and the app icon was still missing..

now im out of ideas for what could go wrong.. any suggestion for me?

tia..

18th August 2017, 12:35 PM |#2  
Flag Borger
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Same thing happend to me (Samsung Galaxy Tab A, Stock 7.0), nu luck with previous versions of Youtube Kids either..
The Following User Says Thank You to dwali For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dwali Ad-Free
19th August 2017, 10:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Same here. Galaxy S8. What has happened? Maybe recent Google instant app has something to do with it ?
The Following User Says Thank You to pablos3331 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pablos3331 Ad-Free
22nd August 2017, 10:13 AM |#4  

More
Hi, same issue here on a Lenovo tablet and Galaxy S7, both running android 7.x. App appears to be gone from the app list and only by installing an app uninstaller i am able to remove it. Same problem when trying to install older versions of the YT Kids. I can install but i can't run it or see it in the app list.
On an older device runing kitkat the icon is still there with no problems, so i would guess this may be a new feature on the google services or so. They may now be enforcing regional limitations. Any info on that?
The Following User Says Thank You to magaitismo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magaitismo Ad-Free
24th August 2017, 09:59 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unfortunately same thing here. Samsung tab A 2016 !
28th August 2017, 10:38 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Same hete, but went here https://kids.youtube.com

Clicked to get it then app store opened he app and was able to enable it
28th August 2017, 11:28 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieXas

Same hete, but went here https://kids.youtube.com

Clicked to get it then app store opened he app and was able to enable it

it still redirects to play store, and thus app availability is still subject to regions..
29th August 2017, 08:59 AM |#8  

More
I can only confirm the problem ( Galaxy A5 2017 running Nougat)
Seems like a server side or Nougat upgrade issue.
I have exactly same symptoms. app icon is missing, side-loaded app installs but does not register properly so it does not appear in app list, and can be uninstalled only with third party app (e.g. ES File explorer)
Hope there will be a solution to run YT Kids once again in regions where it's not officially supported.
31st August 2017, 07:17 AM |#9  

More
Hopefully someone can make a modded apk version without a region check.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frits0702 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Frits0702 Ad-Free
31st August 2017, 07:25 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits0702

Hopefully someone can make a modded apk version without a region check.

i dont think the check is done in the app itself, probably its done in the framework..
cos i have not updated the app, and suddenly it went from working to disappearance, so i guess something in the underlying google framework changed..
The Following User Says Thank You to iamelton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iamelton Ad-Free
31st August 2017, 07:45 AM |#11  

More
Okay, so maybe someone knows a simular app. I didn't found one yet, after ours of searching and installing

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

I installed a lot of different versions of yt kids and sometimes he wil open after installation and after a few second he stopps working. But the icon never apears from two weeks ago. The disapearing happend on the same day by my phone, from my wifes phone and my mother in laws phone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)