FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to WiFi tether with VPN (DroidVPN)

105 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

By SmokeyTech1, Senior Member on 2nd January 2015, 03:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Before anyone says "this has been discussed before" yes it has, but this is the ONLY method that's worked for me, so therefore it may also work for you when others have not.
My carrier is Telcel (Mexico) Its prepaid that I haven't paid for since using the VPN, as it allows me to have free internet, and this method allows me to share it with all my devices, I've used 30GB of data in 2 weeks.
Disclaimer: not responsible for your device in anyway, even though this should not harm anything

STEP 1: You need a rooted device
STEP 2: Make sure you have a VPN app, like OpenVPN or DroidVPN ( I use DroidVPN and its the best)
STEP 3: Download Terminal Emulator
STEP 4: Activate your hotspot and connect to your VPN
STEP 5: launch Terminal emulator and on the first line type "su" (without the quotes) and press enter
STEP 6: Copy and paste this to the Terminal Emulator, MAKE SURE TO PASTE TO A NEW FOLDER USING ROOT BROWSER FIRST, AND COPY TO T.E. IN THE EXACT FORMAT AS SHOWN
Code:
iptables -t filter -F FORWARD
iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
ip rule add from 192.168.43.0/24 lookup 61
ip route add default dev tun0 scope link table 61
ip route add 192.168.43.0/24 dev wlan0 scope link table 61
ip route add broadcast 255.255.255.255 dev wlan0 scope link table 61
STEP 7: That's about it
Also be sure to make a folder with Root Browser and paste the code there, as this resets after re-boot.
Please comment if this worked for you, it worked on my LG G3 on android 4.4.2
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to SmokeyTech1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SmokeyTech1 Ad-Free

2nd January 2015, 03:25 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jalisco

Donate to Me
More
FIRST!
The Following User Says Thank You to SmokeyTech1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SmokeyTech1 Ad-Free
4th January 2015, 07:00 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
So, basically, what do this does?
4th January 2015, 08:06 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jalisco

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielCool1

So, basically, what do this does?

Basically for me it allows me to bypass my carriers tether restrictions, in example; you have tmobile, your plan has unlimited data but only 5GB of tethering, this will trick it into thinking all traffic is coming from your phone, giving you unlimited data to all your devices
4th January 2015, 09:54 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyTech1

Basically for me it allows me to bypass my carriers tether restrictions, in example; you have tmobile, your plan has unlimited data but only 5GB of tethering, this will trick it into thinking all traffic is coming from your phone, giving you unlimited data to all your devices

Venga, que no te entiendo lo del tethering, me lo puedes explicar en español? C:
4th January 2015, 10:45 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jalisco

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielCool1

Venga, que no te entiendo lo del tethering, me lo puedes explicar en español? C:

Claro! Enviarme un mensaje directo y yo te dijo
7th January 2015, 05:49 PM |#7  
Flag St Louis
Thanks Meter: 692

Donate to Me
More
FWIW this will be different on different carriers, different devices, and different VPN(Juno's pulse for example). Good info none the less

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to miked63017 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift miked63017 Ad-Free
9th January 2015, 03:22 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jalisco

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked63017

FWIW this will be different on different carriers, different devices, and different VPN(Juno's pulse for example). Good info none the less

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

This should darn near be universal, as this was code I found was just a copy and paste of the original, don't need to change anything, it should also work with all VPNs, can't confirm though, I've only used this on my AT&T LG G3, I will try on my HTC One
Also the "IP table" part of the code can be found in a few places, the special part of the code is "ip rule" and "ip route"
The Following User Says Thank You to SmokeyTech1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SmokeyTech1 Ad-Free
9th January 2015, 04:01 PM |#9  
Flag St Louis

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyTech1

This should darn near be universal, as this was code I found was just a copy and paste of the original, don't need to change anything, it should also work with all VPNs, can't confirm though, I've only used this on my AT&T LG G3, I will try on my HTC One
Also the "IP table" part of the code can be found in a few places, the special part of the code is "ip rule" and "ip route"

The iptables should be, but the routing, rules, and lookup tables could vary. Also some carriers you would need extra iptables commands and route commands to work with their tethering data cap security measures.

Like I said its useful knowledge but in some cases may need a little extra massaging to fully work.
The Following User Says Thank You to miked63017 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift miked63017 Ad-Free
14th January 2015, 05:36 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
any good guides for setting up a vpn server on your own PC?
14th January 2015, 09:20 PM |#11  
Flag St Louis

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowers17

any good guides for setting up a vpn server on your own PC?

Are you on windows or Linux?

Honestly the easiest way would be to get a router that supports it out of the box, but if you don't have one its still pretty easily doable.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
free, tether, vpn, wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)