FORUMS

Has Corona Virus (covid 19) hit close to home yet?

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By Deaddpool, Member on 17th March 2020, 01:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I'm surprised there's not been threads like this already and I know this is a site about making your phones kewl.....but this is the dreaded off-topic area.....so I'm gonna allow it.

Has this apparent global pandemic affected you directly yet? I'm guessing it has hit us all in some way or another by now?

For me, we've been touched by it already and I suspect my family will get hit harder by it eventually. Here's how/why....

- The Wife is a nurse at a hospital and will surely been facing covid 19 face to face sooner than later. And unfortunately her hospital is a bit of a mess, so I suspect it will sweep through the place fast and furious and I can't imagine she will be unscathed. So yes, my home will likely host the Corona at some point.

- I'm in construction and deal with people daily, and so I am sure to come face to face with an infected person/people before too long. Hopefully my 20 times a day hand sanitizing will mean something?

- folks in my area have lost every last marble and are hoarding everything they can...leaving people in need SOL for finding toilet paper, hand sanitizer, bread, bottled water, meat, soup, baby food and just about every other essential item. Though...i find it funny. Cause if the poop really hits the fan... I know several hoarders that I'll be relieving of their supplies all within walking distance. Lol

- My wife will likely have to nurse through the worst of times, should they come....cause that's what she signed on for. But me, I'll just be told to stay home, earning exactly zero dollars an hour and probably digging a financial hole we will find extremely hard to crawl out of.

- its March break here, so my wee ones are at home. Plus the school board here has said school will remain closed 2 more weeks after March break....so that is good. The kids get to stay home and stay away from the other little germ magnets they associate with!

Anyway....that is how this pandemic has and could hit my family. I'll just say this....before you contribute to cleaning stores out of essential items...take a second to think about others and maybe just get what you need for now and leave some for the rest of us.

Edit: To the amazing super awesome moderators of this great site...if you're maybe thinking this topic isn't right for this site and about to click the delete or close button....perhaps reconsider and think that some here may wanna share feelings on this topic anonymously so to speak...and maybe share fears or hopes they have with the faceless here...rather than "real" people in their lives that don't need to hear about their insecurities? For me, I know I put on a brave face in person....but I'm scared a little too....but I want my family feeling confidence, so I don't dwell on these things I've said with them. Thanks my Mod friends!
17th March 2020, 09:22 AM |#2  
Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee / RC-RT Committee - Magic Baba Vampire
Flag Darkside
Thanks Meter: 24,406

More
thread allowed!
May Force be with you and keeps you strong to fight the Darkside of this virus!
17th March 2020, 09:26 AM |#3  
Senior Moderator - Illuminati Confirmed
Flag Nusquam et ubique
Thanks Meter: 13,485

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaddpool

So I'm surprised there's not been threads like this already and I know this is a site about making your phones kewl.....but this is the dreaded off-topic area.....so I'm gonna allow it.

Has this apparent global pandemic affected you directly yet? I'm guessing it has hit us all in some way or another by now?

For me, we've been touched by it already and I suspect my family will get hit harder by it eventually. Here's how/why....

- The Wife is a nurse at a hospital and will surely been facing covid 19 face to face sooner than later. And unfortunately her hospital is a bit of a mess, so I suspect it will sweep through the place fast and furious and I can't imagine she will be unscathed. So yes, my home will likely host the Corona at some point.

- I'm in construction and deal with people daily, and so I am sure to come face to face with an infected person/people before too long. Hopefully my 20 times a day hand sanitizing will mean something?

- folks in my area have lost every last marble and are hoarding everything they can...leaving people in need SOL for finding toilet paper, hand sanitizer, bread, bottled water, meat, soup, baby food and just about every other essential item. Though...i find it funny. Cause if the poop really hits the fan... I know several hoarders that I'll be relieving of their supplies all within walking distance. Lol

- My wife will likely have to nurse through the worst of times, should they come....cause that's what she signed on for. But me, I'll just be told to stay home, earning exactly zero dollars an hour and probably digging a financial hole we will find extremely hard to crawl out of.

- its March break here, so my wee ones are at home. Plus the school board here has said school will remain closed 2 more weeks after March break....so that is good. The kids get to stay home and stay away from the other little germ magnets they associate with!

Anyway....that is how this pandemic has and could hit my family. I'll just say this....before you contribute to cleaning stores out of essential items...take a second to think about others and maybe just get what you need for now and leave some for the rest of us.

Edit: To the amazing super awesome moderators of this great site...if you're maybe thinking this topic isn't right for this site and about to click the delete or close button....perhaps reconsider and think that some here may wanna share feelings on this topic anonymously so to speak...and maybe share fears or hopes they have with the faceless here...rather than "real" people in their lives that don't need to hear about their insecurities? For me, I know I put on a brave face in person....but I'm scared a little too....but I want my family feeling confidence, so I don't dwell on these things I've said with them. Thanks my Mod friends!

Like you said it’s off topic so I’ll allow it I mean wouldn’t you have? I’d bet so.

Anyways, Mike our Virologist friend taught me a lot about viruses over the years and I would say you should definitely be worried. I am and I’m still kinda young. I would worry more about being near someone infected that’s asymptomatic or even just sick more so than touching something that has it. You’re more likely to breath it being near someone rather than touch something with a live virus and have it enter your body that way.

Not sure what’s going on up north but down here in the south states and cities are taking drastic steps in hopes to contain everything. I pray that it gets contained otherwise this is just the beginning and lots of people won’t make it world wide. Hope you are well and stay healthy also bless your wife for what she does and what’s likely coming down the road. People like her in those professions need to be praised 😇
17th March 2020, 09:45 AM |#4  
They've closed the liquor stores in my state...

This is getting serious now.
17th March 2020, 09:51 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaddpool

Yes. My work place will be closed very soon, as they've announced yesterday that public life will be limited. I have other work I can do and the government will financially support affected businesses, so I'm not too worried. However, the signs for the pandemic were already there months ago and my government hasn't done anything to fight it until just recently, so I am not at all happy about how they are governing.
17th March 2020, 07:36 PM |#6  
Digital Domain
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Yep, my plans for buying a new vehicle will probably have to be put on hold. The money that I've saved for a down payment will have to be reserved for the economic woes ahead.
18th March 2020, 10:13 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Cash is king
The spread of the epidemic has crippled my plans to buy a house. I need to deposit more cash in my hand. Cash is king.
cash money
Credit
19th March 2020, 04:54 AM |#8  
Senior Moderator - Illuminati Confirmed
Flag Nusquam et ubique
Thanks Meter: 13,485

Donate to Me
More
@Deaddpool

Keep us updated will ya? Things are crazy here where I live.
19th March 2020, 03:55 PM |#9  
Flag Omicron Persei 8
Thanks Meter: 465

Donate to Me
More
I'm in the US. The only thing that concerns me is being able to find diapers and TP when I need it because of all the hoarding people are doing. Barring that, my level of concern here in the states is a solid zero.

I really love math and when you plug in the death toll vs the infection count, it's probably less dangerous than the flu. Obviously other countries will end up with different results. This is just using info for the US, so keep that in mind.

The most recent numbers I can find are,

Infections: 9,486
Deaths: 155

When you plug this into a calculator, I'll admit it looks kinda bad.

155 x 100 ÷ 9,486 = 1.63% ← This is the perceived death rate here.

And here's why it's nothing to panic over. Most people with mild symptoms, or no symptoms at all, simply won't be tested (unless they die), so the actual number of infections is definitely much higher. How high is it? We don't know exactly, but the estimates I've seen range from 200,000 to 500,000 infections . So let's use those numbers and see how bad the estimates are.

155 x 100 ÷ 200,000 = 0.07% ← This is our high end for the estimated death rate. Far lower than the flu or common cold.

And as the estimated number of infections goes up, the death rate drops accordingly. If 500,000 people are actually infected, then the death rate is way smaller.

155 x 100 ÷ 500,000 = 0.03% ← This is our low end estimate.

If you don't have a chronic health condition, or you're not over 60yrs old, then you really don't have much to worry about in my opinion. Wash your hands a bit more, avoid at risk people when going about your day if possible. Don't lose your head in the process. 99% of confirmed cases have been mild thus far. (Symptoms no worse than a cold, or allergies.)
19th March 2020, 04:29 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It is interesting question now...it is a big problem
19th March 2020, 09:10 PM |#11  
Forum Moderator
Flag Bruges
Thanks Meter: 6,425

More
Belgium here and we're on what they call a Lockdown light. We can only go outside to:
  • Go to work (if it's essential. when possible to work from home, it's obligatory)
  • Go to the store
  • Get money from an ATM
  • Go to the doctor
  • Help vulnerable people
  • Get some exercise like running, cycling, etc. (alone, with family members or with one friend if a distance of 1.5m is respected at all times)
All shops are closed, except:
  • Food stores, including night shops
  • Shops that sell mainly animal food
  • Pharmacies
  • News paper shops
  • Gas stations
  • Hair dressers (max of 1 customer at a time)
Conditions shops need to adhere to:
  • Social Distancing: people need to stay 1.5m apart from each other
  • In supermarkets there can only be 1 customer per 10m² and they can only be present for 30 minutes
  • Food stores can be open from 7AM to 10PM
  • Night shops must close at 10PM
Misc:
  • All bars/restaurants/etc. are closed, take-away is still allowed unless it causes large cues
  • Local markets are forbidden unless they are essential for food supply
  • Hotels can still be open but may not provide access to a bar or any other space that brings people together
  • Schools are open but only for day care (focused for people working in health care), no lessons are given
Confirmed: 1,795
Deaths: 21
Recovered: 31

It's been pretty crazy but manageable so far. The inexplicable rush for toilet paper has been a big deal here as well. What is up with that? They can starve to death but really need to be able to wipe their tushie for the next 6 months? lol. It all feels so unreal. It's like we've entered World War 3 but we're all fighting a common but invisible enemy.

I went out on a run yesterday and there were still quite a few people out and about getting some exercise or simply some fresh air. There was a massive amount of respect, honoring the social distancing and noticed that the younger folk always went out of the way for the elderly.

My wife works for the 112 emergency central and it's been true madness up there at times. I heard of 1.000 seconds of waiting time on the 'doctors on duty' weekend lines.

@Deaddpool Give my best to your wife as I have the utmost respect for everyone working in health care these days. Now more than ever, they are the true heroes of the world! Wishing the best for you and your family.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)