FORUMS

Has Corona Virus (covid 19) hit close to home yet?

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By Deaddpool, Member on 17th March 2020, 01:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th March 2020, 08:55 AM |#21  
Forum Moderator
Flag Bruges
Thanks Meter: 6,466

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceminer

...When I used estimates, I also explicitly stated that they were just that, estimates...

I think what Mark is trying to say is that these kind of estimates, no matter how well they are intended, are dangerous. The expert numbers out there are more profound estimates that take all the right numbers into account. It's dangerous to make our own more optimistic assessments because that could make people believe it isn't all that bad. But it really is. Hundreds of thousands of lives are at stake, if not millions. All we have to do to prevent a worst case scenario is stay at home for maybe a month. Limit ourselves to necessary movements to only. Uphold strict hygiene guidelines and respect social distancing. Or as your president puts it: SOCIAL DISTANCING!

Check this: https://youtu.be/_066dEkycr4

Wrapped with delicious Fajita
20th March 2020, 09:06 AM |#22  
Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee / RC-RT Committee - Magic Baba Vampire
Flag Darkside
Thanks Meter: 24,477

More
Hate to say it but Neo was wrong and Mr Smith quite right... 🤔
20th March 2020, 09:13 AM |#23  
Forum Moderator
Flag Bruges

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthrax

Hate to say it but Neo was wrong and Mr Smith quite right...

Haha, so true! Mr. Smith has arrived. After all, it was.. Inevitable

20th March 2020, 12:33 PM |#24  
Flag Omicron Persei 8
Thanks Meter: 482

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmmaaahh

I think what Mark is trying to say is that these kind of estimates, no matter how well they are intended, are dangerous. The expert numbers out there are more profound estimates that take all the right numbers into account. It's dangerous to make our own more optimistic assessments because that could make people believe it isn't all that bad. But it really is. Hundreds of thousands of lives are at stake, if not millions. All we have to do to prevent a worst case scenario is stay at home for maybe a month. Limit ourselves to necessary movements to only. Uphold strict hygiene guidelines and respect social distancing. Or as your president puts it: SOCIAL DISTANCING!

Check this: https://youtu.be/_066dEkycr4

I can't find any estimates from either the CDC or WHO, saying it could take that many lives. I keep seeing people say this. Mark even provided a link, but that link does not give any sources. I tried searching their websites directly and still can't find that statement. Can you point me to who made this estimate? I'd really like a source for that. As far as I can find, experts are refusing to make any estimates because there's not enough data to know how many are actually infected, or even the infection rate.
20th March 2020, 12:41 PM |#25  
Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee / RC-RT Committee - Magic Baba Vampire
Flag Darkside
Thanks Meter: 24,477

More
Quote:

I can't find any estimates from either the CDC or WHO, saying it could take that many lives. I keep seeing people say this. Mark even provided a link, but that link does not give any sources. I tried searching their websites directly and still can't find that statement. Can you point me to who made this estimate? I'd really like a source for that. As far as I can find, experts are refusing to make any estimates because there's not enough data to know how many are actually infected, or even the infection rate.

we`re in the 21st century if I`m not mistaken and isn`t this world packed with mind-blowing technology YET capable to provide us with accurate data??? isn`t any data or isn`t any accessible data?

as long as the billionaire tries to hold us hostage in the dark, we gonna make OUR data and we must trust it as WE really care about our lives, not them
20th March 2020, 01:00 PM |#26  
Flag Omicron Persei 8
Thanks Meter: 482

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthrax

we`re in the 21st century if I`m not mistaken and isn`t this world packed with mind-blowing technology YET capable to provide us with accurate data??? isn`t any data or isn`t any accessible data?

as long as the billionaire tries to hold us hostage in the dark, we gonna make OUR data and we must trust it as WE really care about our lives, not them

So no link? I've been searching for it for roughly 2 days. You also aren't making much sense. I hope you're okay.
20th March 2020, 02:08 PM |#27  
Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee / Inactive Recognized Developer / Un-Recognized Hacker - Free Your Mind
Flag The Matrix
Thanks Meter: 33,658

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmmaaahh

Haha, so true! Mr. Smith has arrived. After all, it was.. Inevitable

There is no Mr Smith.
20th March 2020, 03:39 PM |#28  
Senior Moderator - Illuminati Confirmed
Flag Nusquam et ubique
Thanks Meter: 13,508

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The WHO says 3.4% right here on March 3rd but numbers since are beginning to suggest it’s even higher. Time will tell though.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/deta...--3-march-2020
20th March 2020, 05:35 PM |#29  
Forum Moderator
Flag Bruges

More
Not that numbers really matter. If it was 1% of world's population it would still add up to 77,721,835 people. And if it were 1% of 1%, it would still be 777,218.35 people. I'd hate to be that 0.35th person!

TL;DR
Numbers don't matter, stay safe and avoid contact as much as possible. Flatten the curve, folks!
22nd March 2020, 12:32 AM |#30  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks for sharing everyone! Hope you all and your loved ones stay safe!

In Canada things are just getting started really. And there's still many seemingly in denial and going about their business like nothing is happening. Not me though....my work is still open, but they offered layoffs to those who want to stay home for any reason. So I accepted and am done working for now. Its going to be a financial struggle, but there's more important things to worry about.

My wife has to work (nurse in hospital) and she's really stressed. They are not even providing the proper N95 masks for them. Because there's a shortage of them, the government suddenly tells them a regular surgical mask is good enough. IT IS DEFINITELY NOT! Health workers are really upset, but so far no proper masks still. When things get worse, she's likely going to hold up in our 22' camper that we keep in the backyard right now. That will work ok to keep her somewhat isolated from us, in case she brings corona home with her.

So that's our update here. Lots more to come as we're just ramping up here.

Take care folks! China is getting back to normal, as normal as can be anyway, after the loss and trauma from this all....so things will settle eventually.

@mark manning , Actually, I'd likely have deleted the thread and banned the OP. (especially once it turns political/religiousical)

@Thanos , if they close beer stores here...I'm hopping in the trailer and we'll go stay where they are open. No booze is not acceptable!
22nd March 2020, 12:39 AM |#31  
Senior Moderator - Illuminati Confirmed
Flag Nusquam et ubique
Thanks Meter: 13,508

Donate to Me
More
Sounds like you made a good decision imo. Stay safe up there
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)