powkiddy x16 7" retro arcade

978 posts
Thanks Meter: 436

Post Reply Email Thread
7th April 2019, 08:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Firmware and Questions
Hi, I got the PowKiddy X16 2 weeks ago. I like the screen size, but I still need more info. I saw you guys talking about MAME roms, has anyone figured out how to get this in the right format. I noticed someone got a few MAME roms to work.

I tried zipping them, and they didn't work. I wonder if their is a tool that can convert the MAME roms into the correct format. The device came with some MAME roms, so there is a way.

Also, has anyone found an updated or hacked firmware? Does anyone know of a device that supports 32x or N64. I saw Powkiddy X18 has some interesting emulators, and looks to be a standard version of Android. I wish I would have put the money I put into X16, instead into the X18.

Anyone else try Powkiddy X18?

Thanks in advance

10th April 2019, 09:19 AM |#12  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd86

I've never actually heard of this device until this thread. It's nice that my first look at it is also a teardown. How well does it perform and in your guy's opinion is it /worth/ or nah?

I enjoy it at the price mark I paid. It runs several emulators well. But I wouldn't spend more then $40 or so. The big screen is nice. I've got a psvita and this screen and unit is bigger then that. It's only good for gaming. It plays music and videos but that's a feature that goes unused. It does also hold an SD card. Overall of give it a 7.5 out of ten. Probably an 8 or 8.5 if I wasn't a developer, I see the things they left out or didn't do but should have.
11th May 2019, 03:53 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can someone please tell me how to get other games to work on this??

I have a Raspberry Pi II with a shitload of games already... I took the SD card from it and put it in the Powkiddy X16 but it doesnt show any of the files at all when I use the file browser.

How can I get my other games to play on this portable device???
11th May 2019, 11:40 AM |#14  

More
Hello guys,

Thank you very much for the disassembly and the pictures. I am also a(n embedded) developer, so I am interested in this device, it looks pretty cool, I like its screen, but the OS seems really bad. From what we can see from the CPU datasheet, it is a MIPS32 device with an MMU, so having a Linux on it is (in theory) possible. I saw on another another xda thread about the device that someone got the device recognized differently by a computer when Vol- button is pressed when powering on. Do we have more info about this ?

EDIT: About the third chip, I also think it is an internal NAND memory. If we look closer at the cirucuit, the CPU's pin 158 to 165 are going "under" the chip. In the datasheet, these pins are described as "NAND_*" pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atj2279b-NAND.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	4757013  
13th May 2019, 01:49 PM |#15  

More
Hello guys,

After looking at the pictures closely and searching, I was able to find the datasheet of the chip, indeed it's a(n 8GB) NAND memory made by Micron. The part number is MT29F64G08CBAAA. Thus, the datasheet is easy to find: http://www.datasheet.es/PDF/726091/2...CBAAA-pdf.html
15th May 2019, 06:28 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
kind of reminds me of a PSP
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)