Post Reply Email Thread
9th August 2019, 10:52 PM |#1441  
Flag Norcross, GA
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bggold

Sorry fall.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Send an email to Emil and he will get you hooked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYZack

I don't think you're right here. It may be true that you have to pay extra for hotspot functionality, but I don't think that any of the data between the slave and the master gets counted as hotspot data, since it all stays within the LAN generated by the hotspot. I set up the hotspot on the slave to use this app, and the slave has no internet access at all (doesn't have a SIM).

@NYZack. Exactly. Thank you for your post. That was my thinking, and my config as well (no sim card in the slave, but I might put one in just so the slave doesn't boot and complain).

BTW - if it is true that the bits are counted, two things (a) I thought the government told VZW they could not do this on "Limited Plans", and also, (b) isn't there a utility out there PDNet+ that is supposed to avoid this sort of thing?

Can you please explain your setup to me that you have working? Do I need to run AAGateway on the Master and the Slave phones? I'm thinking no. Does the Master have to both expose both a hotspot and run a head unit server from the development menu of AA? I'm thinking yes. What is the order of startup here, and can the stuff on the Master be automated? Are you running the Alpha or Beta versions? Thank you for any help.

9th August 2019, 11:05 PM |#1442  
Flag Moore, OK

More
Since I can't explain it in words here's a capture of the Verizon plan. You can see the data caps. Also if you don't have unlimited you pay to add hotspot to your plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Verizon-mix-mattch-1280x720.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	4803982  
9th August 2019, 11:22 PM |#1443  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibesaver

Since I can't explain it in words here's a capture of the Verizon plan. You can see the data caps. Also if you don't have unlimited you pay to add hotspot to your plan.

Those caps refer to mobile hotspot data. Data between slave and master is not mobile hotspot data. You may have to pay to be able to turn on the hotspot, but I'm fairly confident that traffic between slave and master doesn't count toward mobile hotspot limits.
9th August 2019, 11:25 PM |#1444  
Flag Moore, OK

More
Quote:

Those caps refer to mobile hotspot data. Data between slave and master is not mobile hotspot data. You may have to pay to be able to turn on the hotspot, but I'm fairly confident that traffic between slave and master doesn't count toward mobile hotspot limits.

You're saying any device connected via hotspot wouldn't use data. Then what would??
9th August 2019, 11:35 PM |#1445  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibesaver

You're saying any device connected via hotspot wouldn't use data. Then what would??

If the slave were accessing the Internet via your master device, that would use hotspot data. If any other device accessed the Internet via your master, that would use hotspot data.

For AAGateway, your master is accessing the Internet, the master generates an Android Auto screen, and then it just projects it to the slave via AAGateway (basically). The slave is not accessing the Internet via the master. It is just communicating with the master.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfortin

@NYZack.

Can you please explain your setup to me that you have working? Do I need to run AAGateway on the Master and the Slave phones? I'm thinking no. Does the Master have to both expose both a hotspot and run a head unit server from the development menu of AA? I'm thinking yes. What is the order of startup here, and can the stuff on the Master be automated? Are you running the Alpha or Beta versions? Thank you for any help.

AAGateway has to be installed on both the master and the slave. There are different settings for each. I'm using one of the Beta versions. I have an Automate script on the slave that starts the hotspot whenever the slave gets power. I believe the master has to be running Android Pie in order to stay connected to a wifi network that does not have Internet at the same as the master stays connected to the Internet via mobile data.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYZack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NYZack Ad-Free
10th August 2019, 12:54 AM |#1446  
Flag Norcross, GA

More
Quote:

If the slave were accessing the Internet via your master device, that would use hotspot data. If any other device accessed the Internet via your master, that would use hotspot data.

For AAGateway, your master is accessing the Internet, the master generates an Android Auto screen, and then it just projects it to the slave via AAGateway (basically). The slave is not accessing the Internet via the master. It is just communicating with the master.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

AAGateway has to be installed on both the master and the slave. There are different settings for each. I'm using one of the Beta versions. I have an Automate script on the slave that starts the hotspot whenever the slave gets power. I believe the master has to be running Android Pie in order to stay connected to a wifi network that does not have Internet at the same as the master stays connected to the Internet via mobile data.

Oh, I thought with this solution, the master did not have to be running pie.
10th August 2019, 02:35 AM |#1447  
Flag Norcross, GA

More
Hmmm. I had one success with PDANet+. But then when I broke the "connection" I tried many times and was unsuccessful.
So it seems that if I have PDANet+ installed on Slave and Master. On the Master I can create a WiFi direct access point. On the Slave I can see it and connect to it. I can run the AAGateway on the Slave, and the AAGateway on the Master, and on the master start the Head Unit Server...

One time it worked. Closer.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfortin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfortin Ad-Free
10th August 2019, 01:37 PM |#1448  
Flag Norcross, GA

More
Running PDA+.net on both Master and Slave, I proved I could browse the internet from the Slave. Now. Now I'm just not sure how AAGateway is supposed to be configured. Can I get away with just running the slave with AAGateway, and on the Master running Android Auto and starting the Head Unit Server?

Wish I had a diagram.

One thing is interesting. It's Emil who answers questions in the Google AndroidAuto Help Community... I suspect Emil has been working on AA all along. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
15th August 2019, 03:59 PM |#1449  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
is there a free trial i can test before buying?
16th August 2019, 09:23 AM |#1450  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakie996

is there a free trial i can test before buying?

It only costs $1. It is still in beta testing so you're not buying a complete ap. This is the only way that XDA labs allows you to download. All you're doing is downloading to test the ap, reply with feedback and help to improve it. If you think you're expecting a ready to use ap then you may be disappointed.
17th August 2019, 03:39 PM |#1451  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi everybody!
This hack looks like what I've been looking for for years!
I'll use a Sony XAV-AX100 or a PUMPKIN MMauto (still deciding) with a Cheap Android TV Stick as slave.
Before I start buying everything, there's only one problem: I've heard that MIUI is giving some issues and I have a Xiaomi Mi8, which I love.
Are the problems with Xiaomi phones solved? If not, is there any hack/trick to make them work as masters?
Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)