By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 6th July 2018, 06:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th May 2020, 05:06 AM |#2781  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjr085

Hello,

I'm having some trouble getting AAGateway to work and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

My master is a rooted Google Pixel 2 XL running Android 10.0, my slave is an also rooted MK809V TV stick running Android 5.1.1 with AAGateway 2.2, and my vehicle is a 2016 Ford Mustang.

I followed the instructions here on this thread. Here's exactly what I did:

1.) Paired the phone and TV stick in Bluetooth settings.
2.) Installed AAGateway on the MK809V stick and converted it to a system app upon first launch.
3.) Enabled the start tethering option in AAGateway
4.) Selected the master's Bluetooth MAC in AAGateway
5.) Installed WiFi Launcher for HUR from XDA Labs on the master (Pixel).
6.) Set location permission for WiFi Launcher to Always
7.) Selected the slave (TV stick) in WiFi Launcher and exited.
8.) Went out to the car, plugged in the TV Stick USB, and started the car.
9.) WiFi Launcher on the phone starts and connects to the TV Stick's hotspot automatically, and the phone says it's connected to Android Auto! (But it does not show up on the car's head unit)
10.) After about 5 seconds, the phone loses connection to the TV Stick, and then eventually reconnects again, says connected to Android Auto, then loses connection after 5 seconds, reconnects, and it loops like this over and over.

Android Auto never actually shows up on the car's head unit at any point...

If you could help me out here and tell me where I might be going wrong, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Master is running Pie or above and slave is tethering:

1. Running in root mode: YES
  2. If running in non-root mode, is the splashscreen visible on the car: Running root mode
  3. If running in non-root mode, did you set the masters BT inside AAGW app?: Running root mode
  4. Did the slave actually turned on the hotspot on the slave: YES
  5. On the master did you select the cars BT in the Wifi Launcher app?: NO (the instructions say to select the slaves BT in the wifi launcher app...
  6. When the master connected to the car's BT did the Wifi launcher app started up?: Yes
  7. Did the master connected to the slaves hotspot?: YES, but then disconnects after about 5 seconds, and eventually reconnects, then disconnects again (loops like this over and over)
  8. Did the AA icon appeared on the master at all (in the notification bar)?: YES, but then disappears when it disconnects as stated above.

Hi,

5. in WifiLauncher you MUST select the car unit BT!
The Following User Says Thank You to schlotboeller For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift schlotboeller Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 08:52 AM |#2782  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
@Emil Borconi

Do you have any news for the dongle?
Can't wait to have it in my hands.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SOFO888 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SOFO888 Ad-Free
23rd May 2020, 11:32 AM |#2783  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Since I already have a Orange Pi Zero Plus2 H3, would it be possible to help out in testing the system in my car?
I have a Ford Mondeo Mk5 with a Sync 3. Never really got it working with a slave phone, but didn't really try that hard either tbh...

Anyways, really looking forward to the day we can buy a complete product, and if I can help in any way please let me know!
24th May 2020, 10:32 AM |#2784  

More
Quote:

On the master did you select the cars BT in the Wifi Launcher app?: NO (the instructions say to select the slaves BT in the wifi launcher app...

Quote:

Which sentense is true? In instruction I see:
Quote:

Slave: Select the masters phone BT MAC

Quote:

Master: Select slaves BT from the BT list and exit

Nothing about select car unit BT.

Where I should select car BT unit? In salve or master?
24th May 2020, 10:58 AM |#2785  
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Car BT u select at wifilaunchre app that u installed at master fhone.
24th May 2020, 04:14 PM |#2786  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlotboeller

Hi,

In master should I choice car BT and slave BT or only car BT?
25th May 2020, 03:06 PM |#2787  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO888

@Emil Borconi

Do you have any news for the dongle?
Can't wait to have it in my hands.

Don't hold your breath, waiting for this software to ever get to a "stable" version.

It has been almost 2 years since he first posted about this, and not a lot have changed, this product is still very much at alpha stage.

I really hope that google will at some point make an inexpensive "chromecast" like device that will actually do what it seems this author will never really finish.

With the progress over time on this project it seems that this project will reach 100% completion in a year, so distant in the future, that at that time, the whole windscreen of the car will be the display, and cars can fly by themselves.
25th May 2020, 08:18 PM |#2788  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
@xsatquest

I strongly believe in Emil. He will finish a device with wireless Android Auto
Let's motivate him

@Emil Borconi
Can we support you somehow? Let us know....
25th May 2020, 10:23 PM |#2789  
Flag Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatquest

Don't hold your breath, waiting for this software to ever get to a "stable" version.

It has been almost 2 years since he first posted about this, and not a lot have changed, this product is still very much at alpha stage.

I really hope that google will at some point make an inexpensive "chromecast" like device that will actually do what it seems this author will never really finish.

With the progress over time on this project it seems that this project will reach 100% completion in a year, so distant in the future, that at that time, the whole windscreen of the car will be the display, and cars can fly by themselves.

I think that's a little to hard on Emil. He has to deal with what is given: a multitude of hundreds of different phones splitted in several Android versions in combination with headunits that weren't originally designed for such a task. Regarding all this, Emil has come up with a facinating project, but in the end it's nothing more like a hack. I would be glad if it had worked for me, but I won't blame Emil for this.

I also hope that Google comes up with a simple device. I really wonder why they haven't already.
26th May 2020, 08:21 PM |#2790  

More
Having trouble connecting to Master and maintaining connection to headunit
Hello fellas,

need help/troubleshooting;
my scenario
slave - HTC 10 with crdroid 9.0 custom rom installed.
- aagateway installed
Master - Oppo R17 pro (colourOs)
- installed wifi launcher (configured to both the slave and car Bluetooth to start the app)
Car - Rav4 2020 model (JBL factory Head Unit)

so the issue i am having is when i connect the slave to the headunit, it connects, aagateway does come up with "connection established", master gets active and after few seconds the android auto gets disconnected.

i have tried running the "auto server" on the master and thats not made any difference.

need help and stuck with no ideas to do what next.
27th May 2020, 01:17 PM |#2791  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Tg. Secuiesc / Kezdivasarhely
Thanks Meter: 2,576

Donate to Me
More
As some of you asked for updates and since I haven't updated for a long time....
Code bit is done by @Snirop now as my Linux/C++ skills are not up for the tasks, this is the update from him (yesterday):
I did a bit of work. I'm not yet done with the refactoring, still have to finish a few bits. Probably will take half a day off again friday, because I have way too little time to work on it these days.
Will be continued...

We used AASDK (the one from OpenAuto) in the beginning but it turned out it is not something usable for this project so he had to refacto a lot of code, latest commit on the code was 16 hours ago, so work is still ongoing on this. Both @Snirop and myself feel we are 90% there but getting the missing 10% is much harder then doing the 90%. Project is DEFINITELY not off.

For the Android version of the app, as some pointed out way to many variable and many which can't be controlled, hence going to Linux, instead of Android with the board. To be able to "fool" the car you need to have control over USB, to be able to "fool" the phone, you need to present the slave as a handsfree device, with a special service which includes Android Auto description. The second bit is impossible on Android, hence the need of WiFi Launcher on the phone, the first bit, requires ROOT and won't work on all phones/roms. Some cars can be "fooled" more easily in which cases root on the slave is not required, some can't.

I will like to stress out again, if you need any help please email me and I will support you. I saw some report when everything seemed OK then the device got disconnected, sadly I haven't received follow up from the users making it difficult to fix bugs.

Lockdown have been slightly eased here, so I'm back in office, which helps a lot as trying to work from home with 2 kids in the house, it's like trying to run underwater... I will try to update you regularly with how things are going on with the Linux development, and as said will try to fix issues for those who can't get a connection between the slave and master. Currently on my test devices I can get this to connect as expected so I will need to see bug reports (with follow ups) from those where this is not working as expected.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)