[Android 4.1+]Proxy/GateWay for Android Auto

2,450 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,913

By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 6th July 2018, 06:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th July 2018, 12:12 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Along the same route but slightly different, instead of a Windows stick PC what about a Pi to play middleman. At $30 it's probably cheaper than the Android stick and could have a lot more flexibility down the road for things like an external hard drive or logic like auto updating playlists when you get home.

10th July 2018, 12:13 AM |#22  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo01

Its exactly the same.
Mini PC stick, but using windows 10 as OS.
Just a little bit more expensive. But I already have one to try.
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-stick-pcs

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ok never heard of them before (not my cup of tea I guess) but I wouldn't call them "a little bit more expensive" I will call them "WAY MORE EXPENSIVE"
No promise for windows support, but you aren't going to be limited to a tv stick I just though of them due to small size, but in practice you could use an old phone if you want or a tablet, or whatever runs Android, I'm considering making it compatible with 2.3 as well not only 3.0 so the range of device which can serve as a Wifi antenna should be pretty big.

Probably after Android I will consider a Pi Zero W due to the very small size and inexpensive hardware, so Windows probably will need to wait a bit
10th July 2018, 12:18 AM |#23  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewPid11

Along the same route but slightly different, instead of a Windows stick PC what about a Pi to play middleman. At $30 it's probably cheaper than the Android stick and could have a lot more flexibility down the road for things like an external hard drive or logic like auto updating playlists when you get home.

Lol just replied mentioning the Pi

Well not really, Pi Zero W is about $9-10, and an sdcard and a case it's another $5-$10, so probably you are looking at around $20. I bought the device I used in the demo video last week brand new for £14.99 so about $18. I will say probably the same budget.
10th July 2018, 12:23 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

Ok never heard of them before (not my cup of tea I guess) but I wouldn't call them "a little bit more expensive" I will call them "WAY MORE EXPENSIVE"
No promise for windows support, but you aren't going to be limited to a tv stick I just though of them due to small size, but in practice you could use an old phone if you want or a tablet, or whatever runs Android, I'm considering making it compatible with 2.3 as well not only 3.0 so the range of device which can serve as a Wifi antenna should be pretty big.

Probably after Android I will consider a Pi Zero W due to the very small size and inexpensive hardware, so Windows probably will need to wait a bit

For me its WAY less expensive. I already have one.... .
Old mobile phone sound good too. At least you have the screen to set it up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
10th July 2018, 12:35 AM |#25  
Recognized Developer
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 7,640

Donate to Me
More
Hi there, I'm interested in the development here. So wifi is all that is needed? As my Ford Sync head unit has WiFi already. But no wireless Android auto.
10th July 2018, 12:43 AM |#26  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalmuso

Hi there, I'm interested in the development here. So wifi is all that is needed? As my Ford Sync head unit has WiFi already. But no wireless Android auto.

Not quite. The idea is to us another android device as an auxiliary device fulfilling the role of a proxy/gateway between the car and the phone. To make it work in the ford sync directly we would need to rewrite/change the firmware on the Ford. Maybe ford will provide an update, but that is unknown at the moment. Not even sure if the ford sync is Linux or android based but I will guess the former one.
10th July 2018, 12:59 AM |#27  
Flag Sagamihara\Tōkyō
Thanks Meter: 349

More
Good workaround. It might be crude to say the least, but if it works it works. Oh, and if you hit up aliexpress or alibaba you migh come across some of those usb mini PCs or a cheap android phone. Might hit up a store to see if they have them here in Japan and also track down a used android phone to sacrifice for use in the car.

One idea though, if you want to use another phone. uninstall ALL the apps, use a lightweight launcher (android doesnt boot without a launcher), get one of those Y cables to connect to the HU and to a 1A cheap car charger, and also modify the kernel to start when the car starts.
10th July 2018, 01:22 AM |#28  
Flag Branchburg

More
Just installed a Pioneer AVIC 8200 and hate using the USB. Can't wait to see this come to fruition. Having it would allow me to use a qi charger for my phone. Really like andriod auto, but recently it has been so slow to load and use. Very slow Waze and Google maps loading. Hope this helps.
10th July 2018, 01:24 AM |#29  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 2,968

Donate to Me
More
I'm definitely interested in this. I Just got 2 brand new 2018 cars and no way I'm replacing my 8inch factory touchscreens with expensive headsets just to gain wireless AA. Good stuff!
10th July 2018, 01:55 AM |#30  
Recognized Developer
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 7,640

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

Not quite. The idea is to us another android device as an auxiliary device fulfilling the role of a proxy/gateway between the car and the phone. To make it work in the ford sync directly we would need to rewrite/change the firmware on the Ford. Maybe ford will provide an update, but that is unknown at the moment. Not even sure if the ford sync is Linux or android based but I will guess the former one.

I see, well, I have an Android TV stick sitting in the drawer, along with a raspberry pi which could also run Android. I'm intrigued.
10th July 2018, 02:31 AM |#31  

More
So this sounds awesome! But I'm not sure if I've understood if it will work with an older headunit that came with AA from the factory. I don't mean to use the cars wifi, just plug the USB stick it in to one of the USBs used to connect the phone to car.. Would this stick solution work for those kind of headunits or just aftermarket ones?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)