13th August 2018, 12:39 AM |#501  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield
Thanks Meter: 1,911

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage

so is the consensus still that the Mk809IV is the best product to make this work at this time?

I will be inclined to say that an old phone with root (like an S4 or even an S3 or anything else) will probably be slightly better, however the mk809iv is still probably the cheapest and most convenient for a non-sceen small device. I've managed to get it to connect 9 out of 10 boots which I think it's more or less acceptable. If we make the device stay awake using a secondary source of power to reduce the boot time, this figure drops to about 6 out of 10, however a simple toggle of the hotspot on the phone (master) will result in the usb being restarted on the mk809 (slave) and then the connection will kick in. If you plan to use WiFi direct for it you will need to leave with the longish boot time of the mk809iv.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]

13th August 2018, 01:00 AM |#502  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

I will be inclined to say that an old phone with root (like an S4 or even an S3 or anything else) will probably be slightly better, however the mk809iv is still probably the cheapest and most convenient for a non-sceen small device. I've managed to get it to connect 9 out of 10 boots which I think it's more or less acceptable. If we make the device stay awake using a secondary source of power to reduce the boot time, this figure drops to about 6 out of 10, however a simple toggle of the hotspot on the phone (master) will result in the usb being restarted on the mk809 (slave) and then the connection will kick in. If you plan to use WiFi direct for it you will need to leave with the longish boot time of the mk809iv.

Thank you Emil. I do have an old Nexus 5 though my concern is the battery runs out after only 12 hours or so. Which means when i come back to the car the next day it is usually dead. I like the idea of a batteryless device as this way it will always be available though of course you then deal with the long boot time. Can i ask how long does the Mk809IV take before it all AAGateway is all up and running?
13th August 2018, 04:29 AM |#503  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

Thank you Emil. I do have an old Nexus 5 though my concern is the battery runs out after only 12 hours or so. Which means when i come back to the car the next day it is usually dead. I like the idea of a batteryless device as this way it will always be available though of course you then deal with the long boot time. Can i ask how long does the Mk809IV take before it all AAGateway is all up and running?

Just about 30 seconds for my MK809V (boot animation disabled as suggested in this thread--saved me about 5 seconds). Entirely acceptable to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrStickles For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrStickles Ad-Free
13th August 2018, 06:47 AM |#504  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStickles

Just about 30 seconds for my MK809V (boot animation disabled as suggested in this thread--saved me about 5 seconds). Entirely acceptable to me.

Thanks DrStickles (click ). So is the MK809V a better option the the IV?
13th August 2018, 09:44 AM |#505  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
@Sage I will say complete time from power till connection is around 40-50 seconds. As of the Nexus 5, there are small hacks (with root) or with modding the kernel which can trigger auto-power on of a phone as soon as it's connected to a power source. I have done that for my Asus ZenPad which was built into my dashboard.
On a nexus 5 this might work (after you put your device in bootloader mode):

Code:
 fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2018, 11:43 AM |#506  
thanks @Emil! your awesome!. i have just tried with my old S7 Edge (rooted) as the Slave and my new S9 (not rooted) as the master though i couldnt get it to work...

I did the following:
S9 (Master)
Installed AA and ran to confirm permissions etc.
Turned on Dev options and head unit server.
Exited AA (head unit Server still running).
Turned on Wifi Hotspot.

S7 (Slave)
Uninstalled AA
Installed AAGateway
Turned on USB Debug
Started Gateway - confirmed root access
Connected to wifi hotspot broadcast from my S9.
Plugged into my Car and selected AAGateway start as always.

Though my VW Golf tells me to "Check relevant settings on my mobile device"... Strange... do i need root on both phones or just the slave?

Did try reboot of both devices etc.. no love i might try my nexus 5 another day unless i missed a step.

One other thing that occurred to me when i read through all this i actually assumed the Slave would do the hotspot as it's the one getting USB Power.. Would be good if it was an option to have either host the hotspot in future versions
13th August 2018, 06:56 PM |#507  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

thanks @Emil! your awesome!. i have just tried with my old S7 Edge (rooted) as the Slave and my new S9 (not rooted) as the master though i couldnt get it to work...

I did the following:
S9 (Master)
Installed AA and ran to confirm permissions etc.
Turned on Dev options and head unit server.
Exited AA (head unit Server still running).
Turned on Wifi Hotspot.

S7 (Slave)
Uninstalled AA
Installed AAGateway
Turned on USB Debug
Started Gateway - confirmed root access
Connected to wifi hotspot broadcast from my S9.
Plugged into my Car and selected AAGateway start as always.

Though my VW Golf tells me to "Check relevant settings on my mobile device"... Strange... do i need root on both phones or just the slave?

Did try reboot of both devices etc.. no love i might try my nexus 5 another day unless i missed a step.

One other thing that occurred to me when i read through all this i actually assumed the Slave would do the hotspot as it's the one getting USB Power.. Would be good if it was an option to have either host the hotspot in future versions

Slave cannot create hotspot, well better said it could and that will mean that master could connect to it automatically and even start android Auto automatically, BUT and this is the big problem (which I think is one of the causes AA wireless is not available on other then pixel device at the moment), the master as soon as it connects to the slave WiFi won't be able to access the internet using the 4g. There is no way to use mobile data when you are connected to a WiFi and we'll slave will not have any data.... Which renders the whole setup useless.... If I'm not wrong this will be allowed starting with Android pie, to use mobile when connected to a WiFi.... But i'm not 100% sure about this
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2018, 09:24 PM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

Thanks DrStickles (click ). So is the MK809V a better option the the IV?

I dunno, I think they might be pretty equivalent for this purpose. For those without a stick, you might want to wait until Emil gets further along and then use whatever model he ends up testing successfully...
The Following User Says Thank You to DrStickles For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrStickles Ad-Free
13th August 2018, 09:33 PM |#509  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStickles

I dunno, I think they might be pretty equivalent for this purpose. For those without a stick, you might want to wait until Emil gets further along and then use whatever model he ends up testing successfully...

Should be on par.
I'm testing on mk809v and mk808b as well. Sorry I always thought I had a mk809iv
13th August 2018, 09:39 PM |#510  
Flag Zvolenska Slatina
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:

Should be on par.
I'm testing on mk809v and mk808b as well. Sorry I always thought I had a mk809iv

I have mk808B. Do you think it is good for our purposes? Which ROM you have on it?
13th August 2018, 10:16 PM |#511  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Slave cannot create hotspot, well better said it could and that will mean that master could connect to it automatically and even start android Auto automatically, BUT and this is the big problem (which I think is one of the causes AA wireless is not available on other then pixel device at the moment), the master as soon as it connects to the slave WiFi won't be able to access the internet using the 4g. There is no way to use mobile data when you are connected to a WiFi and we'll slave will not have any data.... Which renders the whole setup useless.... If I'm not wrong this will be allowed starting with Android pie, to use mobile when connected to a WiFi.... But i'm not 100% sure about this

The app for the GoPro have an option that lets you stay connnected to the Wifi from the GoPro and use cellular data to connect to the internet and download firmware updates.
That have worked since att least Android 6.0

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)