FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[Android 4.0+, ROOT] AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

2,226 posts
Thanks Meter: 915

By Area51©, Senior Member on 28th November 2014, 03:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
In addition to the well known AppRadio Unchained mod of the Pioneer AppRadio app, a completely Pioneer-less app was developed.
It's called AppRadio Unchained Reloaded and its available from the Play store here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

If you don't want to root your phone and have Android 7 or higher there's AppRadio Unchained Rootless

Video of AppRadio Unchained Reloaded in use by Alexei Andreyev: Pioneer AVH-X8600BT & LG G3 with ARUnchained
Another video by Alecion420: STI GR 2012 with ARUnchained+Note 3+pioneer 8000nex+Rockford Fosgate+Boyo backup Cam+SMY keyless
Video by Rubn: Appradio 3 - ARUR

AppRadio Unchained Reloaded allows full mirroring of your phone from your AppRadio. This means that any app can be controlled from the head unit screen and not just a few that are specially adapted.

For this app to work ROOT is required. Do not ignore this requirement and blame the app for not working!
V0.17 and up work with SELinux in enforcing mode.

Important
The 'Smartphone setup' on the head unit needs to be set correctly for Android as by default it's configured for Iphone. Go to Settings->System->Input/Output Settings->SmartphoneSetup and set Device to 'Others' and Connection to 'HDMI'. See this video: Smarthphone setup

Any other AppRadio related app needs to be uninstalled as this blocks the connection to AppRadio Unchained Reloaded.

AppRadio mode requires that your device is connected to the HDMI input of the head unit. Depending on the device this can be done with a MHL / Slimport / Miracast / Chromecast adapter.

Because this app may not work for your setup there's an extended trial period of 48 hours. In order to claim this simply request a refund within 48 hours after purchase by emailing the order number to the support email address.

Two versions
When your device has Android 4.3 or higher you will get version 0.31 which has support for automatic connection to wireless casting devices.
The user's manual is available here: Version 0.31 user's manual
Please read it as it contains all details about setting up a wireless screencasting connection.

When your device has Android version lower than 4.3 you will get version 0.29 without support for wireless casting devices
The user's manual is here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded User's manual

Supported head units: any AppRadio that supports Android AppMode via HDMI.
For example: SPH-DA100, SPH-DA110, SPH-DA210, SPH-DA120, AVH-X8500BHS, AVH-4000NEX, AVH-4100NEX, AVH-4200NEX, AVIC-X850BT, AVIC-X950BH, AVIC-Z150BH, AVIC-6000NEX, AVIC-6100NEX, AVIC-6200NEX, AVIC-7000NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-7200NEX, AVIC-8000NEX, AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-8200NEX

Units that have AppRadio mode via USB (a.k.a. AppRadio One) are not supported.

Alpha test version
The alpha test version has the latest features but can also contain bugs.
You need to become a member of the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded Alpha G+ community to be able to get it.
Please apply here: AppRadio Unchained Alpha Community
Once you have access to the G+ community, you can find instructions in the pinned post on how to get the alpha version.

The following features are supported:
- Multitouch
- AppRadio buttons
- Steering wheel controls
- GPS data transfer via mock locations (only works with head units that have a GPS receiver AND do not have built-in navigation)
- Auto enables mock locations on connection (if app is converted to a system app)
- Wake lock
- Rotation locker (to put any app in landscape mode)
- Real calibration
- Start at boot (for use with Android sticks)
- Start on HDMI detection (for use with phones and HDMI adapters)
- Notifications to indicate connection state
- Widget for returning to head unit home screen
- Diagnostics
- Automatic Bluetooth toggle for improved connection
- Assign system app rights without the need to move files

For Reloaded to be able to switch Mock locations automatically, it needs to have system app rights. These can be assigned as following:
In the menu select the entry 'System app enable'. Once the rights are assigned the entry will change to 'System app disable'. When executed the system app rights will be revoked. When 'System app enable' is activated, the diagnostics will show 'Can switch mock locations' ticked. However it will not show 'Installed as system app' as technically it's not installed as a system app but nonetheless it has system app rights and the Mock locations can be switched.

When the app is still installed as a system app (by moving the files) the menu entry is disabled as it makes no sense. In order to enable the functionality remove the files that were moved to make it a system app first and then install the latest version.

AppRadio is a registered trademark of Pioneer.
Disclaimer: You are solely responsible for using this app in such a way that it does not impair your ability to drive.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Area51© For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Area51© Ad-Free

28th November 2014, 03:25 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Breda

Donate to Me
More
FAQ
Known Issues
  • Dim option doesn't work on all phones.
    [*]AppRadio 4 GPS data is not transferred to the phone due to protocol change. Working on fixing it.

Alpha test V0.xx
Upcoming features
The Following User Says Thank You to Area51© For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Area51© Ad-Free
28th November 2014, 05:36 PM |#3  
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Info 2
Moved across from the other thread as it will no doubt be an FAQ.

Method for getting ARUR working on Lollipop (in this case the Nexus 5)
Update your phone to Lollipop using Wugfresh Toolkit. This allows you to flash the factory image LRX210 (which it will download for you)
Use the same toolkit to root the phone including your choice of recovery (TWRP etc).
Set SELinux to permissive with SELinux Mode Changer.
Check the phone still reports it has the right sized storage (16Gb/32Gb). If it is reporting it is half the size it should be, boot into recovery and wipe the data partition and it will get restored.
Install ARUR from the Play Store
Move the Installed application into /system/priv-app using Root Browser and set the permissions to read write execute

Alternative way to flash and root:
Install with the factory image LRX21O (not with an OTA update zip).
Root with CF Auto-Root.

If you get it installed and still have problems, Try:
Delete your Bluetooth connection on both your Nexus and your HU, perhaps a full reset on the HU, then re-add the Bluetooth connection.
Ensure the HU configuration is set to "Other" and not iPhone
Check ARUR has SU permissions in SuperSU application (or whichever app you have installed)
Check that your solution works to a standard TV (won't allow touch but will check the HDMI output)
30th November 2014, 05:14 PM |#4  
Flag Norwich

More
New version released by Area51 which should mean there is no need to set SELinux mode to permissive.

Good news for those with locked boot loaders as his should now work for them with just root.
1st December 2014, 03:34 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Is the nexus 6 supported, yet? If so, which cable is required?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
1st December 2014, 06:06 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
just bought ARUR because of the newest update, but touch control still isn't working on my S5.

for my diagnostics, the only things not checked are:

no app interfernce
installed as system app
can switch mock locations.

do these need to be checked for touch controls to work? Thanks.
1st December 2014, 07:34 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Breda

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcompany

just bought ARUR because of the newest update, but touch control still isn't working on my S5.

for my diagnostics, the only things not checked are:

no app interfernce
installed as system app
can switch mock locations.

do these need to be checked for touch controls to work? Thanks.

No. The one for touch control to work would be "Event injection". I had it reported working by some people with an S5 but maybe they used a different root method. It looks like there might be still some work to do. Would it be possible for you to make a logcat dump and email it to the support email from the Play store? It can be done with an app called "Catlog". Please first start Catlog first, force close ARUR and then start it, then connect to your HU.

Edit: No app interference, do you still have ARU/Pioneer app installed? If so uninstall it first. If frozen with titanium backup it doesn't matter.
1st December 2014, 07:59 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51©

No. The one for touch control to work would be "Event injection". I had it reported working by some people with an S5 but maybe they used a different root method. It looks like there might be still some work to do. Would it be possible for you to make a logcat dump and email it to the support email from the Play store? It can be done with an app called "Catlog". Please first start Catlog first, force close ARUR and then start it, then connect to your HU.

Edit: No app interference, do you still have ARU/Pioneer app installed? If so uninstall it first. If frozen with titanium backup it doesn't matter.

I didn't reailze it before, but because ARU was still installed, ARUR kept saying Listening for Connection. Once I uninstalled ARU it finally connected. But I still don't have touch controls. I uninstalled it and now my app interference box is checked. the other two boxes are still unchecked.

I started catlog, forced closed ARUR, and then connected to the HU. Now how do i get to the log info so I can send it to you? I've never used catlog.
1st December 2014, 08:09 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Breda

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcompany

I didn't reailze it before, but because ARU was still installed, ARUR kept saying Listening for Connection. Once I uninstalled ARU it finally connected. But I still don't have touch controls. I uninstalled it and now my app interference box is checked. the other two boxes are still unchecked.

I started catlog, forced closed ARUR, and then connected to the HU. Now how do i get to the log info so I can send it to you? I've never used catlog.

How to make a logcat using an app called Catlog
Start Catlog logcat through app menu and select record.
Select home button so you leave Catlog app running.
Go through process to start ARUR and connect to AR.
Once you know the bug was created, open the Catlog app from notification bar (this stops recording).
Select the recording, which is named by date-timestamp...from action selection pick share by email...this zips the logcat and system info txt files into one zip.
Email to self and share the zip with dev by email or any other method you want.
1st December 2014, 08:52 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51©

How to make a logcat using an app called Catlog
Start Catlog logcat through app menu and select record.
Select home button so you leave Catlog app running.
Go through process to start ARUR and connect to AR.
Once you know the bug was created, open the Catlog app from notification bar (this stops recording).
Select the recording, which is named by date-timestamp...from action selection pick share by email...this zips the logcat and system info txt files into one zip.
Email to self and share the zip with dev by email or any other method you want.

So I didn't see any options to share the recording in the catlog app. There's only a search function, pause button, a sort button, and a refresh button and then all the log info in a long scroll. I transferred the files from my phone to my computer and sent it to the email on the play store. If there's anything else I got to do let me know. Thank you.
1st December 2014, 03:58 PM |#11  
Flag Norwich

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewf

Is the nexus 6 supported, yet? If so, which cable is required?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nexus 6 does not support HDMI out, so there will not be a cable. You may be able to get it to work with Chromecast though, it does not support Mirrorcast either.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)