[Android 4.0+, ROOT] AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

Search This thread

tigorek

Feb 17, 2014
@Area51©: Thanks for promt response and your support! :good:
And you were right. After turning on/off bluetooth five or more times, also official Appradio app have stoped connecting!
I did as you offered and as described at the bug report and it solved the issue... until it will be fixed (i hope) officialy.
Now there is a delay between switching off and on the bluetooth by AR Unchained, but i can live with it for now :)

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
@Area51©: Thanks for promt response and your support! :good:
And you were right. After turning on/off bluetooth five or more times, also official Appradio app have stoped connecting!
I did as you offered and as described at the bug report and it solved the issue... until it will be fixed (i hope) officialy.
Now there is a delay between switching off and on the bluetooth by AR Unchained, but i can live with it for now :)
Thanks for reporting back. It sucks but good there's a workaround to fix it.

JLPDA

Dec 1, 2008
Tasker Start/Stop ARUR

I know this is an old post, but, just went to a Galaxy S5 and want to use Tasker to Start/Stop the ARUR service and can't get it just right. anujpuri85, can you send me your Tasker Profile/Task. Very much appreciated.

exellent. Got it working. Thanks! Know of any way to remove that left navigation panel that takes up part of the screen on the appradio so that I can mirror my phone to the entire headunit screen?

With Tasker can you start a service with an intent? If so it should be possible to start the service with this intent: 'mars.area51.arunchained.unchainedservice.CommServ ice'.

Codyksp

Jul 14, 2011
Geleen
Hey guys,

I am wondering if anybody can help me out with an issue I've been having. I have always used this app with an ASUS Padfone Infinity and a SlimPort HDMI to USB adapter on my AppRadio 3 (SPH-DA110), which worked perfectly. That is, until my phone took a nosedive on the pavement and broke. I have since purchased an HTC M8s (note the s) and I can't for the life of my get the damn thing to work with this app or even with a TV.

I have tried the SlimPort adapter, an unbranded 5 pin MHL adapter (supposed to be compatible with my phone) and even the official android kit from Pioneer http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-AH200. Every one of these gives a slow charging message and receives no HDMI input signal. I don't understand why this phone is giving me so much trouble.

Does anybody know which adapter will work with the HTC One M8s?

Codyksp

Jul 14, 2011
Geleen
You are probably going to have to use a Miracast or Chromecast. A Microsoft display adapter is probably the best since it doesn't require a internet connection.

From what I understand Miracast and Chromecast don't support touch controls via the radio, is that correct? My phone has a Miracast option which works flawlessly with my TV.

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
From what I understand Miracast and Chromecast don't support touch controls via the radio, is that correct? My phone has a Miracast option which works flawlessly with my TV.
Incorrect. Touch control is via Bluetooth. For the head unit there's no difference between a wired or a wireless HDMI connection.

Codyksp

Jul 14, 2011
Geleen
Incorrect. Touch control is via Bluetooth. For the head unit there's no difference between a wired or a wireless HDMI connection.

In that case I'd be willing to invest in giving Miracast a try, is there any specific dongle/adapter you would recommend for the AppRadio 3 (SPH-DA110)?
It would actually be great to get rid of every single cable aside from one to charge with, which I could use the cigarette lighter output for.

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
In that case I'd be willing to invest in giving Miracast a try, is there any specific dongle/adapter you would recommend for the AppRadio 3 (SPH-DA110)?
It would actually be great to get rid of every single cable aside from one to charge with, which I could use the cigarette lighter output for.
Actiontec screenbeam mini 2 or Microsoft wireless adapter V2 have been reported to work well. Cheap ones like EZCast do not work well, at least that's my experience.

Reactions: adfurgerson
I know this is an old post, but, just went to a Galaxy S5 and want to use Tasker to Start/Stop the ARUR service and can't get it just right. anujpuri85, can you send me your Tasker Profile/Task. Very much appreciated.

With Tasker can you start a service with an intent? If so it should be possible to start the service with this intent: 'mars.area51.arunchained.unchainedservice.CommServ ice'.
You need to create a shell command with Tasker.

First screen shot : enable AppRadio
Second screen shot : disable it Screenshot_20170614-152607.png
450b5ffa74fd9d4efc82346108f8d4b2.jpg

Reactions: Mr.Zulu
Yes all was checked.

This afternoon a figured a root issue with Tasker so maybe it's linked to the ARU issue.
I clean my phone and now root looks working good.
Will try aru tomorrow and see if it was a root issue.

I've magisk and supersu installed on my phone, that created conflit and block root.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk
So it was a root issue on my phone.
ARU works fine again!

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk

Codyksp

Jul 14, 2011
Geleen
Actiontec screenbeam mini 2 or Microsoft wireless adapter V2 have been reported to work well. Cheap ones like EZCast do not work well, at least that's my experience.

So, I have a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2 and already have 2 problems...

- The HDMI connector is too fat to fit in the back of the radio (I will have to use an extension cable...)
- I tested it on my TV and as soon as I try to pair it, it says "connecting to Android_2169" and reboots.

When I connect to my TV directly (it has native Miracast) everything works fine. Isn't technology great?

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
So, I have a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2 and already have 2 problems...

- The HDMI connector is too fat to fit in the back of the radio (I will have to use an extension cable...)
- I tested it on my TV and as soon as I try to pair it, it says "connecting to Android_2169" and reboots.

When I connect to my TV directly (it has native Miracast) everything works fine. Isn't technology great?
Yeah, that's not what you would expect especially since a lot of people report success with the Microsoft adapter.
Isn't there a firmware update for it available? Does it work with other devices?

Codyksp

Jul 14, 2011
Geleen
Yeah, that's not what you would expect especially since a lot of people report success with the Microsoft adapter.
Isn't there a firmware update for it available? Does it work with other devices?

I just tested it on my monitor and it works fine, maybe it's because the TV has native Miracast? Who knows...
I will check the firmware as well but don't have a laptop available a.t.m. to update it with (Windows Store only, seriously?).
And I will allso get an extension cable for the HDMI connector which is 0.5m minimum.... and hope everything works.

I heard that the adapter can take around 20 second to boot though, which will be from the moment I turn my car key.
From what I understand I then have to manually connect the Miracast, and then start the AppRadio app. All in all it's not exactly a fast setup.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In addition to the well known AppRadio Unchained mod of the Pioneer AppRadio app, a completely Pioneer-less app was developed.
    It's called AppRadio Unchained Reloaded and its available from the Play store here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

If you don't want to root your phone and have Android 7 or higher there's AppRadio Unchained Rootless

Video of AppRadio Unchained Reloaded in use by Alexei Andreyev: Pioneer AVH-X8600BT & LG G3 with ARUnchained
    Another video by Alecion420: STI GR 2012 with ARUnchained+Note 3+pioneer 8000nex+Rockford Fosgate+Boyo backup Cam+SMY keyless
    Video by Rubn: Appradio 3 - ARUR

AppRadio Unchained Reloaded allows full mirroring of your phone from your AppRadio. This means that any app can be controlled from the head unit screen and not just a few that are specially adapted.

For this app to work ROOT is required. Do not ignore this requirement and blame the app for not working!
    V0.17 and up work with SELinux in enforcing mode.

Important
    The 'Smartphone setup' on the head unit needs to be set correctly for Android as by default it's configured for Iphone. Go to Settings->System->Input/Output Settings->SmartphoneSetup and set Device to 'Others' and Connection to 'HDMI'. See this video: Smarthphone setup

Any other AppRadio related app needs to be uninstalled as this blocks the connection to AppRadio Unchained Reloaded.

AppRadio mode requires that your device is connected to the HDMI input of the head unit. Depending on the device this can be done with a MHL / Slimport / Miracast / Chromecast adapter.

Because this app may not work for your setup there's an extended trial period of 48 hours. In order to claim this simply request a refund within 48 hours after purchase by emailing the order number to the support email address.

Two versions
    When your device has Android 4.3 or higher you will get version 0.31 which has support for automatic connection to wireless casting devices.
    The user's manual is available here: Version 0.31 user's manual
    Please read it as it contains all details about setting up a wireless screencasting connection.

When your device has Android version lower than 4.3 you will get version 0.29 without support for wireless casting devices
    The user's manual is here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded User's manual

Supported head units: any AppRadio that supports Android AppMode via HDMI.
    For example: SPH-DA100, SPH-DA110, SPH-DA210, SPH-DA120, AVH-X8500BHS, AVH-4000NEX, AVH-4100NEX, AVH-4200NEX, AVIC-X850BT, AVIC-X950BH, AVIC-Z150BH, AVIC-6000NEX, AVIC-6100NEX, AVIC-6200NEX, AVIC-7000NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-7200NEX, AVIC-8000NEX, AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-8200NEX

Units that have AppRadio mode via USB (a.k.a. AppRadio One) are not supported.

Beta test version
    The beta test version has the latest features but can also contain bugs.
    You need to become a tester of the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded app to be able to get it.
    Please apply here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/mars.area51.arunchained

The following features are supported:
    - Multitouch
    - AppRadio buttons
    - Steering wheel controls
    - GPS data transfer via mock locations (only works with head units that have a GPS receiver AND do not have built-in navigation)
    - Auto enables mock locations on connection (if app is converted to a system app)
    - Wake lock
    - Rotation locker (to put any app in landscape mode)
    - Real calibration
    - Start at boot (for use with Android sticks)
    - Start on HDMI detection (for use with phones and HDMI adapters)
    - Notifications to indicate connection state
    - Widget for returning to head unit home screen
    - Diagnostics
    - Automatic Bluetooth toggle for improved connection
    - Assign system app rights without the need to move files

For Reloaded to be able to switch Mock locations automatically, it needs to have system app rights. These can be assigned as following:
    In the menu select the entry 'System app enable'. Once the rights are assigned the entry will change to 'System app disable'. When executed the system app rights will be revoked. When 'System app enable' is activated, the diagnostics will show 'Can switch mock locations' ticked. However it will not show 'Installed as system app' as technically it's not installed as a system app but nonetheless it has system app rights and the Mock locations can be switched.

When the app is still installed as a system app (by moving the files) the menu entry is disabled as it makes no sense. In order to enable the functionality remove the files that were moved to make it a system app first and then install the latest version.

AppRadio is a registered trademark of Pioneer.
    Disclaimer: You are solely responsible for using this app in such a way that it does not impair your ability to drive.
    Alpha version with screencasting support available

The first version with support for screencasting is made available for alpha testing. This first version was only tested with my Nexus 6. It has Miracast and Chromecast support. To join alpha testing you need to have a Google+ account and then you can apply here: https://plus.google.com/communities/108835433120083901102

Miracast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting start delay' enter 20
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Miracast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Miracast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Chromecast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Chromecast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Chromecast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Control of the screencasting and phone's hotspot (in case of Chromecast) is done via the Settings app GUI. All necessary items are recognised by text from the GUI. In case your phone's language is English most texts to be recognised are predefined and you only need to set the name of the device to cast to. If you use another language you probably need to change the texts in the settings.
    Cast integration progress

Finally have time available to work on cast integration. Currently I have casting to a Belkin Miracast device working reliably on my Nexus 6. From start to a fully working connection takes about 1:40 minutes. This includes booting time of the head unit and the booting time of the Belkin Miracast which actually takes the most time. Still have to debug the code for connection to a Chromecast and clean it up a bit. I expect to have an alpha version available within a week.
    Yeah Cant Wait! Keep in mind also here to help and test!
    As soon as there is a version for testing available I will announce it here. I am trying to work on it as much as possible. I made the prototype more stable and also have implemented keyevent injection so now the buttons work as well. My best guess is that ETA for the test version is less than 2 weeks.
    Rootless version progress

Good news, I have a prototype of the rootless version working on a non-rooted Samsung S4. There's still quite some work to do to tidy up things and make it really stable as currently it's really unstable but the most difficult part is done now. Even multi-touch is working already.