[Android 4.0+, ROOT] AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

Search This thread

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
In addition to the well known AppRadio Unchained mod of the Pioneer AppRadio app, a completely Pioneer-less app was developed.
It's called AppRadio Unchained Reloaded and its available from the Play store here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

If you don't want to root your phone and have Android 7 or higher there's AppRadio Unchained Rootless

Video of AppRadio Unchained Reloaded in use by Alexei Andreyev: Pioneer AVH-X8600BT & LG G3 with ARUnchained
Another video by Alecion420: STI GR 2012 with ARUnchained+Note 3+pioneer 8000nex+Rockford Fosgate+Boyo backup Cam+SMY keyless
Video by Rubn: Appradio 3 - ARUR

AppRadio Unchained Reloaded allows full mirroring of your phone from your AppRadio. This means that any app can be controlled from the head unit screen and not just a few that are specially adapted.

For this app to work ROOT is required. Do not ignore this requirement and blame the app for not working!
V0.17 and up work with SELinux in enforcing mode.

Important
The 'Smartphone setup' on the head unit needs to be set correctly for Android as by default it's configured for Iphone. Go to Settings->System->Input/Output Settings->SmartphoneSetup and set Device to 'Others' and Connection to 'HDMI'. See this video: Smarthphone setup

Any other AppRadio related app needs to be uninstalled as this blocks the connection to AppRadio Unchained Reloaded.

AppRadio mode requires that your device is connected to the HDMI input of the head unit. Depending on the device this can be done with a MHL / Slimport / Miracast / Chromecast adapter.

Because this app may not work for your setup there's an extended trial period of 48 hours. In order to claim this simply request a refund within 48 hours after purchase by emailing the order number to the support email address.

Two versions
When your device has Android 4.3 or higher you will get version 0.31 which has support for automatic connection to wireless casting devices.
The user's manual is available here: Version 0.31 user's manual
Please read it as it contains all details about setting up a wireless screencasting connection.

When your device has Android version lower than 4.3 you will get version 0.29 without support for wireless casting devices
The user's manual is here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded User's manual

Supported head units: any AppRadio that supports Android AppMode via HDMI.
For example: SPH-DA100, SPH-DA110, SPH-DA210, SPH-DA120, AVH-X8500BHS, AVH-4000NEX, AVH-4100NEX, AVH-4200NEX, AVIC-X850BT, AVIC-X950BH, AVIC-Z150BH, AVIC-6000NEX, AVIC-6100NEX, AVIC-6200NEX, AVIC-7000NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-7200NEX, AVIC-8000NEX, AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-8200NEX

Units that have AppRadio mode via USB (a.k.a. AppRadio One) are not supported.

Beta test version
The beta test version has the latest features but can also contain bugs.
You need to become a tester of the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded app to be able to get it.
Please apply here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/mars.area51.arunchained

The following features are supported:
- Multitouch
- AppRadio buttons
- Steering wheel controls
- GPS data transfer via mock locations (only works with head units that have a GPS receiver AND do not have built-in navigation)
- Auto enables mock locations on connection (if app is converted to a system app)
- Wake lock
- Rotation locker (to put any app in landscape mode)
- Real calibration
- Start at boot (for use with Android sticks)
- Start on HDMI detection (for use with phones and HDMI adapters)
- Notifications to indicate connection state
- Widget for returning to head unit home screen
- Diagnostics
- Automatic Bluetooth toggle for improved connection
- Assign system app rights without the need to move files

For Reloaded to be able to switch Mock locations automatically, it needs to have system app rights. These can be assigned as following:
In the menu select the entry 'System app enable'. Once the rights are assigned the entry will change to 'System app disable'. When executed the system app rights will be revoked. When 'System app enable' is activated, the diagnostics will show 'Can switch mock locations' ticked. However it will not show 'Installed as system app' as technically it's not installed as a system app but nonetheless it has system app rights and the Mock locations can be switched.

When the app is still installed as a system app (by moving the files) the menu entry is disabled as it makes no sense. In order to enable the functionality remove the files that were moved to make it a system app first and then install the latest version.

AppRadio is a registered trademark of Pioneer.
Disclaimer: You are solely responsible for using this app in such a way that it does not impair your ability to drive.

Last edited:

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
Beta

Beta test release notes
- Alternate menu. Long press the background of the app to show this menu.

- Support key layout for TV boxes
- Improve screencast autoconnect support

- Fix crash at connection time when getPort not found
- Fix for LG V20 screen offset

Last edited:
Reactions: Mibuix0r

400ixl

Moved across from the other thread as it will no doubt be an FAQ.

Method for getting ARUR working on Lollipop (in this case the Nexus 5)
Update your phone to Lollipop using Wugfresh Toolkit. This allows you to flash the factory image LRX210 (which it will download for you)
Use the same toolkit to root the phone including your choice of recovery (TWRP etc).
Set SELinux to permissive with SELinux Mode Changer.
Check the phone still reports it has the right sized storage (16Gb/32Gb). If it is reporting it is half the size it should be, boot into recovery and wipe the data partition and it will get restored.
Install ARUR from the Play Store
Move the Installed application into /system/priv-app using Root Browser and set the permissions to read write execute

Alternative way to flash and root:
Install with the factory image LRX21O (not with an OTA update zip).
Root with CF Auto-Root.

If you get it installed and still have problems, Try:
Delete your Bluetooth connection on both your Nexus and your HU, perhaps a full reset on the HU, then re-add the Bluetooth connection.
Ensure the HU configuration is set to "Other" and not iPhone
Check ARUR has SU permissions in SuperSU application (or whichever app you have installed)
Check that your solution works to a standard TV (won't allow touch but will check the HDMI output)

Last edited:

supernewf

Jan 19, 2013
Is the nexus 6 supported, yet? If so, which cable is required?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

blackcompany

Dec 1, 2014
just bought ARUR because of the newest update, but touch control still isn't working on my S5.

for my diagnostics, the only things not checked are:

no app interfernce
installed as system app
can switch mock locations.

do these need to be checked for touch controls to work? Thanks.

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
just bought ARUR because of the newest update, but touch control still isn't working on my S5.

no app interfernce
installed as system app

No. The one for touch control to work would be "Event injection". I had it reported working by some people with an S5 but maybe they used a different root method. It looks like there might be still some work to do. Would it be possible for you to make a logcat dump and email it to the support email from the Play store? It can be done with an app called "Catlog". Please first start Catlog first, force close ARUR and then start it, then connect to your HU.

Edit: No app interference, do you still have ARU/Pioneer app installed? If so uninstall it first. If frozen with titanium backup it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

blackcompany

Dec 1, 2014
No. The one for touch control to work would be "Event injection". I had it reported working by some people with an S5 but maybe they used a different root method. It looks like there might be still some work to do. Would it be possible for you to make a logcat dump and email it to the support email from the Play store? It can be done with an app called "Catlog". Please first start Catlog first, force close ARUR and then start it, then connect to your HU.

Edit: No app interference, do you still have ARU/Pioneer app installed? If so uninstall it first. If frozen with titanium backup it doesn't matter.

I didn't reailze it before, but because ARU was still installed, ARUR kept saying Listening for Connection. Once I uninstalled ARU it finally connected. But I still don't have touch controls. I uninstalled it and now my app interference box is checked. the other two boxes are still unchecked.

I started catlog, forced closed ARUR, and then connected to the HU. Now how do i get to the log info so I can send it to you? I've never used catlog.

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
I didn't reailze it before, but because ARU was still installed, ARUR kept saying Listening for Connection. Once I uninstalled ARU it finally connected. But I still don't have touch controls. I uninstalled it and now my app interference box is checked. the other two boxes are still unchecked.

I started catlog, forced closed ARUR, and then connected to the HU. Now how do i get to the log info so I can send it to you? I've never used catlog.
How to make a logcat using an app called Catlog
Start Catlog logcat through app menu and select record.
Select home button so you leave Catlog app running.
Go through process to start ARUR and connect to AR.
Once you know the bug was created, open the Catlog app from notification bar (this stops recording).
Select the recording, which is named by date-timestamp...from action selection pick share by email...this zips the logcat and system info txt files into one zip.
Email to self and share the zip with dev by email or any other method you want.

blackcompany

Dec 1, 2014
How to make a logcat using an app called Catlog
Start Catlog logcat through app menu and select record.
Select home button so you leave Catlog app running.
Go through process to start ARUR and connect to AR.
Once you know the bug was created, open the Catlog app from notification bar (this stops recording).
Select the recording, which is named by date-timestamp...from action selection pick share by email...this zips the logcat and system info txt files into one zip.
Email to self and share the zip with dev by email or any other method you want.

So I didn't see any options to share the recording in the catlog app. There's only a search function, pause button, a sort button, and a refresh button and then all the log info in a long scroll. I transferred the files from my phone to my computer and sent it to the email on the play store. If there's anything else I got to do let me know. Thank you.

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda

no app interfernce
installed as system app

I heard via email from blackcompany that it's working now. The thing that fixed it was to update to the latest SuperSU version.

ddash97

Nov 24, 2007
i wish i had more thumbs, so i could give this app four thumbs up

Phone: OnePlus One
ROM: Paranoid Android 4.6 (using ART instead of Dalvik)
HeadUnit: SPH-DA210
Connection: WiFi hotspot and Chromecast (tried Amazon FireStick but it was cumbersome to initiate the screen casting, it worked though)

I have the service running all the time and use NFC tags and the Trigger app to turn on/off bluetooth, wifi, hotspot, etc. I'm not sure of the battery usage so far with the service running all the time (just bought the app about 12hrs ago). This stand alone app has really sped up the time it takes to get connected and on the road. I also am not using ARUR as a system app and have mock locations on at all times. My initial impressions have been so outstanding that I have uninstalled Tasker, Secure Settings, AppRadio Unchained & AppRadio Unchained GPS Injector.

couple of quirks...
1) when i check "Do not switch Mock locations", gps injection will not work. I have mock locations on already so its my understanding there is no need to "switch" and ARUR is not a system app.
2) during my testing i stopped the app when it was already connected to my appradio and restarted. it says connected but the touches do not register. on the old unchained app you could on/off bluetooth and reconnect with the headunit to get the touches back, this method did not work.

feature request...
i'm not sure if you are familiar with the screen standby app, but if you could have such a feature as an option would be awesome! one less app to have.

question for anyone...
if anybody knows a way to automatically start casting my screen upon successful connection to my appradio, i would greatly appreciate the advice.

stargate125645

Sep 25, 2012
Omaha, NE
Method for getting ARUR working on Lollipop (in this case the Nexus 5)
Move the Installed application into /system/priv-app using Root Browser{/URL] and set the permissions to read write execute

Are you sure that's all that is required for converting to a system priv-app? Last time I did it, a library file needed to be transferred as well. Also, there are multiple permissions to set (owner, group, and other), so you may want to edit it the sentence to be more explicit. Finally, was the typo using a brace intentional? The Play Store link does not work as a result.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Phone: OnePlus One
ROM: Paranoid Android 4.6 (using ART instead of Dalvik)
HeadUnit: SPH-DA210
Connection: WiFi hotspot and Chromecast (tried Amazon FireStick but it was cumbersome to initiate the screen casting, it worked though)

I have the service running all the time and use NFC tags and the Trigger app to turn on/off bluetooth, wifi, hotspot, etc. I'm not sure of the battery usage so far with the service running all the time (just bought the app about 12hrs ago). This stand alone app has really sped up the time it takes to get connected and on the road. I also am not using ARUR as a system app and have mock locations on at all times. My initial impressions have been so outstanding that I have uninstalled Tasker, Secure Settings, AppRadio Unchained & AppRadio Unchained GPS Injector.

couple of quirks...
1) when i check "Do not switch Mock locations", gps injection will not work. I have mock locations on already so its my understanding there is no need to "switch" and ARUR is not a system app.
2) during my testing i stopped the app when it was already connected to my appradio and restarted. it says connected but the touches do not register. on the old unchained app you could on/off bluetooth and reconnect with the headunit to get the touches back, this method did not work.

feature request...
i'm not sure if you are familiar with the screen standby app, but if you could have such a feature as an option would be awesome! one less app to have.

question for anyone...
if anybody knows a way to automatically start casting my screen upon successful connection to my appradio, i would greatly appreciate the advice.
Are you using a 2nd phone to control the mirroring, or did you get around it by ignoring the warning in the Chromecast application? What does it do to your audio quality?

ddash97

Nov 24, 2007
Are you using a 2nd phone to control the mirroring, or did you get around it by ignoring the warning in the Chromecast application? What does it do to your audio quality?

I see no Chromecast warnings. The only warnings I do see are from the Pioneer AppRadio itself. Also, I have to use an app called "#MirrorEnabler" in order to get the "Cast screen" option in the Chromecast app as the OnePlus is not an officially supported device.

As far as the audio is concerned, I would say the quality is equal to bluetooth 2.0. I listen to sport talk about 95% of the time i'm in my car so its not enough to out weigh all the other benefits. you can stop here or...

you can read this if you want a bit more information about my opinion with regards to audio quality...

i have factory speakers with an external amp & sub connected to the appradio. Also, my vehicle is performance oriented so my cabin noise is above average. With all that said, there is still a discernible difference in the below scenarios and I would rate the "cast screen" audio as on par with bluetooth 2.0

#audio and video compression over wifi with phone as the source
appradio + chromecast cast screen + oneplus = good

#audio and/or video compression over wifi with chromecast as the source
appradio + individual app casting (ie Netflix, Play Music) = better

#potentially no compression depending on the source
appradio + directly connected media (ie dvd, cd,usb,hdmi) = best

Now, replace the appradio with my home theater system in the above scenarios and I would rate all three higher.

Reactions: stargate125645

stargate125645

Sep 25, 2012
Omaha, NE
I see no Chromecast warnings. The only warnings I do see are from the Pioneer AppRadio itself. Also, I have to use an app called "#MirrorEnabler" in order to get the "Cast screen" option in the Chromecast app as the OnePlus is not an officially supported device.

As far as the audio is concerned, I would say the quality is equal to bluetooth 2.0. I listen to sport talk about 95% of the time i'm in my car so its not enough to out weigh all the other benefits. you can stop here or...

you can read this if you want a bit more information about my opinion with regards to audio quality...

i have factory speakers with an external amp & sub connected to the appradio. Also, my vehicle is performance oriented so my cabin noise is above average. With all that said, there is still a discernible difference in the below scenarios and I would rate the "cast screen" audio as on par with bluetooth 2.0

#audio and video compression over wifi with phone as the source
appradio + chromecast cast screen + oneplus = good

#audio and/or video compression over wifi with chromecast as the source
appradio + individual app casting (ie Netflix, Play Music) = better

#potentially no compression depending on the source
appradio + directly connected media (ie dvd, cd,usb,hdmi) = best

Now, replace the appradio with my home theater system in the above scenarios and I would rate all three higher.
That pretty much seals the deal for me to stick with a wired setup. As far as the warning goes, it is the one that pops up on the phone when the editing the Chromecast application options for the Chromecast device that is connected to your phone's WiFi tether. Chromecast doesn't like to cast a screen from the same device to which it is tethered, in my experience. So, I was inquiring if you found a way around this without getting such a device warning, and without having to use a 2nd phone.

JeffDC

Oct 21, 2009
Roseburg
DDash,

I'm very interested in your use of the AppRadio and the OnePlus.

Would you be willing to write up a short 'how to', and if any other equipment/cables, etc are necessary?

Thank you for the prededing information.

ddash97

Nov 24, 2007
That pretty much seals the deal for me to stick with a wired setup. As far as the warning goes, it is the one that pops up on the phone when the editing the Chromecast application options for the Chromecast device that is connected to your phone's WiFi tether. Chromecast doesn't like to cast a screen from the same device to which it is tethered, in my experience. So, I was inquiring if you found a way around this without getting such a device warning, and without having to use a 2nd phone.

oh yeah, without a doubt stay wired. i was perfectly happy with my previous nexus 4 hard wired setup. My original nexus 4 never had an overheating issue, it just decided not to turn on one morning so every "repaired" nexus since (4 of them now) ,overheats to the point of powering off,when connected to my appradio over hdmi. So now i have a oneplus and only kept it because it was good enough over chromecast or firetv stick.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

DDash,

I'm very interested in your use of the AppRadio and the OnePlus.

Would you be willing to write up a short 'how to', and if any other equipment/cables, etc are necessary?

Thank you for the prededing information.

Sure, i can write something up. I'll do it in the OnePlus forum and send you a link.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In addition to the well known AppRadio Unchained mod of the Pioneer AppRadio app, a completely Pioneer-less app was developed.
    It's called AppRadio Unchained Reloaded and its available from the Play store here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

If you don't want to root your phone and have Android 7 or higher there's AppRadio Unchained Rootless

Video of AppRadio Unchained Reloaded in use by Alexei Andreyev: Pioneer AVH-X8600BT & LG G3 with ARUnchained
    Another video by Alecion420: STI GR 2012 with ARUnchained+Note 3+pioneer 8000nex+Rockford Fosgate+Boyo backup Cam+SMY keyless
    Video by Rubn: Appradio 3 - ARUR

AppRadio Unchained Reloaded allows full mirroring of your phone from your AppRadio. This means that any app can be controlled from the head unit screen and not just a few that are specially adapted.

For this app to work ROOT is required. Do not ignore this requirement and blame the app for not working!
    V0.17 and up work with SELinux in enforcing mode.

Important
    The 'Smartphone setup' on the head unit needs to be set correctly for Android as by default it's configured for Iphone. Go to Settings->System->Input/Output Settings->SmartphoneSetup and set Device to 'Others' and Connection to 'HDMI'. See this video: Smarthphone setup

Any other AppRadio related app needs to be uninstalled as this blocks the connection to AppRadio Unchained Reloaded.

AppRadio mode requires that your device is connected to the HDMI input of the head unit. Depending on the device this can be done with a MHL / Slimport / Miracast / Chromecast adapter.

Because this app may not work for your setup there's an extended trial period of 48 hours. In order to claim this simply request a refund within 48 hours after purchase by emailing the order number to the support email address.

Two versions
    When your device has Android 4.3 or higher you will get version 0.31 which has support for automatic connection to wireless casting devices.
    The user's manual is available here: Version 0.31 user's manual
    Please read it as it contains all details about setting up a wireless screencasting connection.

When your device has Android version lower than 4.3 you will get version 0.29 without support for wireless casting devices
    The user's manual is here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded User's manual

Supported head units: any AppRadio that supports Android AppMode via HDMI.
    For example: SPH-DA100, SPH-DA110, SPH-DA210, SPH-DA120, AVH-X8500BHS, AVH-4000NEX, AVH-4100NEX, AVH-4200NEX, AVIC-X850BT, AVIC-X950BH, AVIC-Z150BH, AVIC-6000NEX, AVIC-6100NEX, AVIC-6200NEX, AVIC-7000NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-7200NEX, AVIC-8000NEX, AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-8200NEX

Units that have AppRadio mode via USB (a.k.a. AppRadio One) are not supported.

Beta test version
    The beta test version has the latest features but can also contain bugs.
    You need to become a tester of the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded app to be able to get it.
    Please apply here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/mars.area51.arunchained

The following features are supported:
    - Multitouch
    - AppRadio buttons
    - Steering wheel controls
    - GPS data transfer via mock locations (only works with head units that have a GPS receiver AND do not have built-in navigation)
    - Auto enables mock locations on connection (if app is converted to a system app)
    - Wake lock
    - Rotation locker (to put any app in landscape mode)
    - Real calibration
    - Start at boot (for use with Android sticks)
    - Start on HDMI detection (for use with phones and HDMI adapters)
    - Notifications to indicate connection state
    - Widget for returning to head unit home screen
    - Diagnostics
    - Automatic Bluetooth toggle for improved connection
    - Assign system app rights without the need to move files

For Reloaded to be able to switch Mock locations automatically, it needs to have system app rights. These can be assigned as following:
    In the menu select the entry 'System app enable'. Once the rights are assigned the entry will change to 'System app disable'. When executed the system app rights will be revoked. When 'System app enable' is activated, the diagnostics will show 'Can switch mock locations' ticked. However it will not show 'Installed as system app' as technically it's not installed as a system app but nonetheless it has system app rights and the Mock locations can be switched.

When the app is still installed as a system app (by moving the files) the menu entry is disabled as it makes no sense. In order to enable the functionality remove the files that were moved to make it a system app first and then install the latest version.

AppRadio is a registered trademark of Pioneer.
    Disclaimer: You are solely responsible for using this app in such a way that it does not impair your ability to drive.
    Alpha version with screencasting support available

The first version with support for screencasting is made available for alpha testing. This first version was only tested with my Nexus 6. It has Miracast and Chromecast support. To join alpha testing you need to have a Google+ account and then you can apply here: https://plus.google.com/communities/108835433120083901102

Miracast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting start delay' enter 20
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Miracast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Miracast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Chromecast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Chromecast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Chromecast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Control of the screencasting and phone's hotspot (in case of Chromecast) is done via the Settings app GUI. All necessary items are recognised by text from the GUI. In case your phone's language is English most texts to be recognised are predefined and you only need to set the name of the device to cast to. If you use another language you probably need to change the texts in the settings.
    Cast integration progress

Finally have time available to work on cast integration. Currently I have casting to a Belkin Miracast device working reliably on my Nexus 6. From start to a fully working connection takes about 1:40 minutes. This includes booting time of the head unit and the booting time of the Belkin Miracast which actually takes the most time. Still have to debug the code for connection to a Chromecast and clean it up a bit. I expect to have an alpha version available within a week.
    Yeah Cant Wait! Keep in mind also here to help and test!
    As soon as there is a version for testing available I will announce it here. I am trying to work on it as much as possible. I made the prototype more stable and also have implemented keyevent injection so now the buttons work as well. My best guess is that ETA for the test version is less than 2 weeks.
    Rootless version progress

Good news, I have a prototype of the rootless version working on a non-rooted Samsung S4. There's still quite some work to do to tidy up things and make it really stable as currently it's really unstable but the most difficult part is done now. Even multi-touch is working already.