[Android 4.0+, ROOT] AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

Search This thread

mikek753

Sep 24, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
Yes, multiple times. I have also cleared the cache off the Bluetooth app, but still no result.

I think this is due to Android 10, no I can't say why or how to fix it :confused:
somehow android 10 kills connection and even ARUR, even the app is "locked" app, it doesn't stay up and running

someone posted Tasker tasks to keep it up and running with 10 sec checks for connection / reconnection - maybe that will work?

just my 2c

Jan 19, 2019
Have you tried unpairing and pairing again?

Yes I have. I had also deleted cache in the Bluetooth app, but still no result.

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 AM ----------

I think this is due to Android 10, no I can't say why or how to fix it :confused:
somehow android 10 kills connection and even ARUR, even the app is "locked" app, it doesn't stay up and running

someone posted Tasker tasks to keep it up and running with 10 sec checks for connection / reconnection - maybe that will work?

just my 2c

Ok, I will try it. Thank you.

Jan 19, 2019
Is toggle Bluetooth on start activate on the app?

I have tried to connect with both options, but still no connection.
I have also found something which maybe isn't relevant, but when enabling the System App option SU reports that the task is done, but in the diagnostic menu of the app the installed as system app info is not checked.

Jan 19, 2019
It's normal. Root didn't mean the app is installed as a system app.

Have you try to delete the AppRadio device from tout Bluetooth paired list?

Hi, I have deleted the paired list and after adding a new device it would still not connect.
In the end I have installed an android 9 pixel rom and everything is working fine. ( Except for the radio hardware buttons, but I will fix that)
Nevertheless, thank you all for your help.

Area51©

Aug 30, 2013
Breda
Android 10

Because of the reports here that there's issues with Android 10 I was looking for a way to test it. It can't be tested with the Android simulator as that doesn't support Bluetooth. As an alternative I found Bliss OS 12 Beta which is a X86 version of Android 10 that I can run on my laptop.

When running the app the first time, you get this warning: 'The app was built for an older version of Android and may not work properly. Try checking for updates, or contact the developer.' This can be ignored.

Some testing shows that the app still works. It connects via Bluetooth and touch gets transferred to the screen.
The only thing that went wrong was that the license check crashed (in Google's own license checker code) but that may be because the Play store doesn't work properly in Bliss OS. I can't enter an account.

Basically it should work for you as well. Unless the app crashes when you press the 'Start' button. Then the licence check is crashing for you too. If so let me know.

bigbaldbloke

Jun 26, 2007
All worked fine from the app side on my OnePlus 6, but connecting was an issue. Seems to be a problem with Oxygen OS 10 and Miracast.

thestagemanager

Jul 15, 2008
Best Android Stick to use with ARU these days

I miss being able to do more than just bluetooth with my AppRadio 3. What's the best piece of hardware to buy to use for media and navigation with it these days?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In addition to the well known AppRadio Unchained mod of the Pioneer AppRadio app, a completely Pioneer-less app was developed.
    It's called AppRadio Unchained Reloaded and its available from the Play store here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

If you don't want to root your phone and have Android 7 or higher there's AppRadio Unchained Rootless

Video of AppRadio Unchained Reloaded in use by Alexei Andreyev: Pioneer AVH-X8600BT & LG G3 with ARUnchained
    Another video by Alecion420: STI GR 2012 with ARUnchained+Note 3+pioneer 8000nex+Rockford Fosgate+Boyo backup Cam+SMY keyless
    Video by Rubn: Appradio 3 - ARUR

AppRadio Unchained Reloaded allows full mirroring of your phone from your AppRadio. This means that any app can be controlled from the head unit screen and not just a few that are specially adapted.

For this app to work ROOT is required. Do not ignore this requirement and blame the app for not working!
    V0.17 and up work with SELinux in enforcing mode.

Important
    The 'Smartphone setup' on the head unit needs to be set correctly for Android as by default it's configured for Iphone. Go to Settings->System->Input/Output Settings->SmartphoneSetup and set Device to 'Others' and Connection to 'HDMI'. See this video: Smarthphone setup

Any other AppRadio related app needs to be uninstalled as this blocks the connection to AppRadio Unchained Reloaded.

AppRadio mode requires that your device is connected to the HDMI input of the head unit. Depending on the device this can be done with a MHL / Slimport / Miracast / Chromecast adapter.

Because this app may not work for your setup there's an extended trial period of 48 hours. In order to claim this simply request a refund within 48 hours after purchase by emailing the order number to the support email address.

Two versions
    When your device has Android 4.3 or higher you will get version 0.31 which has support for automatic connection to wireless casting devices.
    The user's manual is available here: Version 0.31 user's manual
    Please read it as it contains all details about setting up a wireless screencasting connection.

When your device has Android version lower than 4.3 you will get version 0.29 without support for wireless casting devices
    The user's manual is here: AppRadio Unchained Reloaded User's manual

Supported head units: any AppRadio that supports Android AppMode via HDMI.
    For example: SPH-DA100, SPH-DA110, SPH-DA210, SPH-DA120, AVH-X8500BHS, AVH-4000NEX, AVH-4100NEX, AVH-4200NEX, AVIC-X850BT, AVIC-X950BH, AVIC-Z150BH, AVIC-6000NEX, AVIC-6100NEX, AVIC-6200NEX, AVIC-7000NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-7200NEX, AVIC-8000NEX, AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-8200NEX

Units that have AppRadio mode via USB (a.k.a. AppRadio One) are not supported.

Beta test version
    The beta test version has the latest features but can also contain bugs.
    You need to become a tester of the AppRadio Unchained Reloaded app to be able to get it.
    Please apply here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/mars.area51.arunchained

The following features are supported:
    - Multitouch
    - AppRadio buttons
    - Steering wheel controls
    - GPS data transfer via mock locations (only works with head units that have a GPS receiver AND do not have built-in navigation)
    - Auto enables mock locations on connection (if app is converted to a system app)
    - Wake lock
    - Rotation locker (to put any app in landscape mode)
    - Real calibration
    - Start at boot (for use with Android sticks)
    - Start on HDMI detection (for use with phones and HDMI adapters)
    - Notifications to indicate connection state
    - Widget for returning to head unit home screen
    - Diagnostics
    - Automatic Bluetooth toggle for improved connection
    - Assign system app rights without the need to move files

For Reloaded to be able to switch Mock locations automatically, it needs to have system app rights. These can be assigned as following:
    In the menu select the entry 'System app enable'. Once the rights are assigned the entry will change to 'System app disable'. When executed the system app rights will be revoked. When 'System app enable' is activated, the diagnostics will show 'Can switch mock locations' ticked. However it will not show 'Installed as system app' as technically it's not installed as a system app but nonetheless it has system app rights and the Mock locations can be switched.

When the app is still installed as a system app (by moving the files) the menu entry is disabled as it makes no sense. In order to enable the functionality remove the files that were moved to make it a system app first and then install the latest version.

AppRadio is a registered trademark of Pioneer.
    Disclaimer: You are solely responsible for using this app in such a way that it does not impair your ability to drive.
    Alpha version with screencasting support available

The first version with support for screencasting is made available for alpha testing. This first version was only tested with my Nexus 6. It has Miracast and Chromecast support. To join alpha testing you need to have a Google+ account and then you can apply here: https://plus.google.com/communities/108835433120083901102

Miracast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting start delay' enter 20
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Miracast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Miracast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Chromecast
    - Go to the app's settings
    - For 'Connection trigger method' select 'Bluetooth-Screencasting'
    - Scroll down to 'Screencast Settings'
    - At 'Head unit bluetooth address' select the Bt connection to your head unit
    - At 'Casting method' select 'Chromecast'
    - At 'Casting device name' enter the name of the Chromecast device to connect to
    - Go to the Phone's 'Settings->Accessibility' and enable 'ARUnchained Reloaded'

Control of the screencasting and phone's hotspot (in case of Chromecast) is done via the Settings app GUI. All necessary items are recognised by text from the GUI. In case your phone's language is English most texts to be recognised are predefined and you only need to set the name of the device to cast to. If you use another language you probably need to change the texts in the settings.
    Cast integration progress

Finally have time available to work on cast integration. Currently I have casting to a Belkin Miracast device working reliably on my Nexus 6. From start to a fully working connection takes about 1:40 minutes. This includes booting time of the head unit and the booting time of the Belkin Miracast which actually takes the most time. Still have to debug the code for connection to a Chromecast and clean it up a bit. I expect to have an alpha version available within a week.
    Yeah Cant Wait! Keep in mind also here to help and test!
    As soon as there is a version for testing available I will announce it here. I am trying to work on it as much as possible. I made the prototype more stable and also have implemented keyevent injection so now the buttons work as well. My best guess is that ETA for the test version is less than 2 weeks.
    Rootless version progress

Good news, I have a prototype of the rootless version working on a non-rooted Samsung S4. There's still quite some work to do to tidy up things and make it really stable as currently it's really unstable but the most difficult part is done now. Even multi-touch is working already.