FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Android 4.1+] Headunit for Android Auto - 160117 - Self Mode+ other fixes, x86, 720p

7,827 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,164

By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 2nd June 2015, 10:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th June 2015, 10:04 AM |#11  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

Donate to Me
More
"Headunit" - Build an AA Headunit with a $165 tablet...
As I posted on the original thread:

240 downloads of the Free APK now... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=94

"Headunit" is the app name I've settled on. Short & sweet.

Want to see this Headunit app fixed and improved on a regular basis ?

Then I need your help...

First need is some IMO well deserved publicity. There is no other app like this and I think there is a need...

I saw LOTS of excitement on Android enthusiast sites about Android Auto. And a LOT of excitement dissipated hearing that a $700 Headunit or new car was required.

So wouldn't turning a $165 Nexus 7 2013 tablet into a basic AA Headunit with an app restore some excitement ?

I've been busy on the tech side, but to keep this project moving, people need to find out about it.

I've started a new thread here for all further discussion about my Headunit app: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...-auto-t3125252

If it seems worthy to you, please consider clicking on "Submit Thread as News Tip" at top right of that thread.

Most Android news and discussion sites have similar functions to submit news tips. If it comes from people like you, I'd think it has more weight than me trying to promote my new app.

XDA is kinda, sorta, not supposed to be used to SELL things (and that's kinda vague & fuzzy, and there IS a section for paid apps, where my new thread is), and I understand and respect that...

But truth is that my second, and perhaps most important need, in order to support YOU, is for some "little bits" of support from you... See my new thread or sig for the new paid APK on Play.

There are other, Android Auto/Connected Car app ideas I have, should this one garner insufficient support. Feel free to comment:

- Use any media player (or messenging) with AA, where it does not have AA extensions.

- App to connect sensors, + via ODB and maybe Torque like functionality.

- Standalone mode for AA running on a phone. Will likely require root and Xposed and LOTS of work and workaround when Google sabotages it.

- Customization of Android Auto via root/Xposed app; Change anything from backgrounds to color to rules that AA imposes in the name of safety and anything else that needs a mod.

Thanks !

Mike ( [email protected] )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free

6th June 2015, 06:15 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi!

I've just purchased your headunit app. I've attempted to connect it, but am unable to get it working. I'm really excited to see something like this, and can probably help you debug it if needed.

My devices:
- Nexus 7 (2012 Wifi), running stock Android 5.1.1, stock recovery, rooted with Nexus Root Toolkit
- Nexus 4, running stock Android 5.1.1, custom recovery, rooted with Nexus Root Toolkit

Cables:
- USB OTG cable, purchased some time ago, but known to be functional -- I've used it on my Nexus 4 to connect a microSD reader.
- Micro USB (male) connector from USB OTG cable plugged into Nexus 7.
- Charging cable plugged into micro USB connector (female) on USB OTG cable.
- Standard micro USB connected from Nexus 4 to USB A (female) port on USB OTG cable.
- Both devices show as charging.

Problem:
- When starting Headunit app, the screen stays black (with only standard on-screen controls, and never prompts me on either device for anything).
- I have also tested this in reverse, by sideloading the Headunit APK onto my Nexus 4 (Google Play Store said incompatible, but what do they know? ), and sideloading the Android Auto app onto my Nexus 7. I reversed the cabling, so that the USB OTG cable is plugged into the Nexus 4 as the host device. Same results.
- I've tried various combinations of unplugging and replugging, force closing and restarting apps, etc.

What's the next step in debugging this setup?
The Following User Says Thank You to jpreston84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jpreston84 Ad-Free
7th June 2015, 05:16 AM |#13  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreston84

Hi!

I've just purchased your headunit app. I've attempted to connect it, but am unable to get it working. I'm really excited to see something like this, and can probably help you debug it if needed.

My devices:
- Nexus 7 (2012 Wifi), running stock Android 5.1.1, stock recovery, rooted with Nexus Root Toolkit
- Nexus 4, running stock Android 5.1.1, custom recovery, rooted with Nexus Root Toolkit

Cables:
- USB OTG cable, purchased some time ago, but known to be functional -- I've used it on my Nexus 4 to connect a microSD reader.
- Micro USB (male) connector from USB OTG cable plugged into Nexus 7.
- Charging cable plugged into micro USB connector (female) on USB OTG cable.
- Standard micro USB connected from Nexus 4 to USB A (female) port on USB OTG cable.
- Both devices show as charging.

Problem:
- When starting Headunit app, the screen stays black (with only standard on-screen controls, and never prompts me on either device for anything).
- I have also tested this in reverse, by sideloading the Headunit APK onto my Nexus 4 (Google Play Store said incompatible, but what do they know? ), and sideloading the Android Auto app onto my Nexus 7. I reversed the cabling, so that the USB OTG cable is plugged into the Nexus 4 as the host device. Same results.
- I've tried various combinations of unplugging and replugging, force closing and restarting apps, etc.

What's the next step in debugging this setup?

Hi, Thanks for your support.

Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you a debug release. Or I'll PM you a link when I get one built in a few hours. Are you able to capture a logcat or should I add an easy "Send logcat" button ?

Some quick googling tells me the stock Nexus 4 does not support USB OTG (ie running the headunit app). But some kernels enable this and this is the first thread I saw about that: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...181820/page154

The app specifies that USB OTG is required, and I thought that was a great way to prevent people from purchasing on incompatible devices. But now that I see Nexus 4 (and I'm sure many other devices) can do OTG with a custom kernel, I guess I should remove that as a hard requirement. A popup warning would be better.

I have that same Nexus 7 2012 with the latest Android 5.1.1 (unrooted even) and pretty much stock, and all released versions of the Headunit app work on it. So I feel confident that the hardware and software work OK together.

And AFAIK, Android Auto runs fine on stock Nexus 4.

If you aren't getting prompted for USB permissions on the Headunit app side, that seems to indicate a connection problem.

Can you stop charging the Nexus 7 and reboot it to see if that helps ? My understanding is that Nexus devices can't do USB host mode and charge at the same time. Custom kernels are needed to allow this.

If you have a plain OTG cable without a charging connection please try that also. Ensure that the regular USB cable supports data tranfer. Some are for charging only.

My test setup is:

- 1 regular USB cable: large male (plugged into OTG large female) to micro-USB male (plugged into Android Auto phone).
- 1 OTG cable: large femaie (plugged into regular large male) to micro-USB male (plugged into Headunit device).

Sometimes between the 2 cables I insert a powered USB hub, but a straight connection seems to work for both Nexus 7's, Nexus 9 and Xperia Z2 tablet, though it does drain the Headunit device battery to charge the Android Auto device.

A good sign that the cabling is working is seeing the Gallery app opening on the Headunit device when they are plugged. Android Auto device pictures and videos are shown via USB MTP I guess.

I'm going to add a startup screen that shows connected USB devices and that can be used for trouble-shooting.
7th June 2015, 06:05 AM |#14  

Donate to Me
More
This thread needs to be woken up...

If you have ANY questions or comments, please post !

I'm encouraged to see the Headunit app on Play has had 2 confirmed sales in the last 2 days; there are also 9 cancels (boo !) and 3 unconfirmed....

Pretty Good I think for the first few days of a new app.... Could be more if I remove the strict USB host requirement, but probably more disappointed cancellers too.

I appreciate Google Play reviews from anyone who has purchased and/or cancelled.

Right now I have two 1 star reviews on Play to deal with; thankfully Google lets us reply to reviews now.

Here's what I just added to the Play Store description:

Quote:

No risk/full refund within 90 days. Just email 15 digit order ID or email of purchase to [email protected] . But "be warned" that I WILL do my best to get this app working for you and make you happy, or at least explain why your device may be incompatible...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
7th June 2015, 06:27 AM |#15  

Donate to Me
More
Message to app reviewers on Play:

The Reviews section of Google Play has a 350 letter maximum. It is impossible to provide good technical support with that limit.

Please email me [email protected] for private support.

But I prefer to discuss publicly for everyone's benefit if you are registered or don't mind registering at XDA Developers Forum. Headunit Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...-auto-t3125252

If Headunit is working well for you, Great !

For problems, please read on:

I updated the Play Store description with this:

Quote:

NOTE: Requires 2 devices ! Needs an Android 4.1+ tablet (that supports USB Host mode) running this Headunit app connected to an Android 5.0+ phone running Android Auto. Connection requires 1 standard phone USB cable and a special USB OTG cable connected to the Headunit app device.

No risk/full refund within 90 days. Just email 15 digit order ID or email of purchase to [email protected] . But "be warned" that I WILL do my best to get this app working for you and make you happy, or at least explain why your device may be incompatible...

I hope you understand this is the first release of a new type of app, and that I'm still calling it "experimental".

I will do my best to support as many devices as I can. But some devices will never work, particularly those that can not support "USB Host Mode".

The most common problem will be USB cable connection problems. Generally, you will need at least 2 cables:

1 USB OTG cable connected to tablet or other device running the Headunit app.

1 Regular USB cable connected to phone running Android Auto.

The cables are connected together of course, directly or though a hub. Sometimes you may need to insert a powered USB hub between the cables, with the powered side going to the Android Auto phone.

Sometimes connections may be loose. Ensure that (at least) all 3 connections are securely made. Gently try to push the plugs in just a little deeper to see if it goes farther. This has fixed it for me more than once.

I will put some better debugging and logging options in the next release of this app.

There is a LOT more information about how to get the Headunit app working, and some trouble-shooting hints in the First 10 posts of thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...-auto-t3125252
7th June 2015, 06:08 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Hi, good work on getting this started. For me the deal breaker feature down the line would be car integration, namely:

Bluetooth calls take place over car mic and speakers
Steering wheel controls (volume, answer, next track, etc.)
I imagine some support for the pioneer adapter that allows this would be feasible.

Any plans or knowledge about that?
7th June 2015, 06:43 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
ok, seems to be working ok (although slowly) on a nexus 7 2012 (as headunit). does not work at all on a nexus 7 2013 (as headunit), just a black screen without any notices.
7th June 2015, 08:16 PM |#18  
XDA Feed Mod/RD/RC
Flag Augsburg, Germany
Thanks Meter: 3,235

Donate to Me
More
I would really like to try this, but the USB port of my N7 2012 is broken, and I still haven't fixed it :/

Sent using my nexus⁴ running Euphoria 1.1 with Xposed and hells-Core B78
7th June 2015, 11:05 PM |#19  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxr1998

I would really like to try this, but the USB port of my N7 2012 is broken, and I still haven't fixed it :/

I really hope that Google can enable Android Auto over WiFi soon. If not, I will consider mods that would allow this. But it would require root on both sides; an AA standalone mode (that only needs one rooted device) may be desirable to more people.

Android Auto over Wifi would solve USB specific connection problems, like the need for USB Host mode on the Headunit and the associated "charging while in USB host mode" problems that usually requite a custom kernel.
7th June 2015, 11:13 PM |#20  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldti

ok, seems to be working ok (although slowly) on a nexus 7 2012 (as headunit). does not work at all on a nexus 7 2013 (as headunit), just a black screen without any notices.

Good start...

My N7 2012 seems to have good video speed, but I only use it for testing so I have very few apps and they aren't doing many background tasks.

Does the video have defects or does it look accurate ? I have seen slowness and defects together, but mostly on my older, slower phones.

The release I'm working on now has better debbuging capabilities. I'll try to post a new version within the next 12 hours.

Can I presume both Nexus 7's are stock ? Root and recovery shouldn't matter, but a custom kernel (or ROM) could make a big difference.
7th June 2015, 11:17 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hey. N7 12 video is somewhat slow, but accurate without corruption.
All nexuses are completely stock.
After further investigation, it appears like the nexus 7 13 doesn't have otg support at all...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)