FORUMS

[Android 4.1+] Headunit for Android Auto - 160117 - Self Mode+ other fixes, x86, 720p

7,827 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,172
 
By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 2nd June 2015, 10:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th July 2015, 05:17 AM |#421  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,172
 
Donate to Me
More
The July 14b release of the Headunit app now supports single device standalone mode and is attached at the bottom of this post.

Changes:

- Fixes timing issue on Nexus 7 2012 and other slow devices.
- Video corruption issues fixed. (At least some.)
- Video Test button renamed "Test" and works again, but with just 0.5 seconds of video.
- Wifi button is now called "Self" to indicate a standalone mode connection. If the app gets root/SU it simulates the NFC tag so you don't need one.
- I'm not "supporting" actual Wifi connections at this time because it's tricky to convince Android to switch different devices and I don't have a good feel for that yet. And I don't need AA over Wifi publicity now.
- "SU" button renamed "SUsb". It's to try SU/root USB code when Android doesn't support host mode but kernel does.
- USB tested and still works.
- App should exit car mode on the device when the Exit button is pressed now.
- On-screen clock in last few releases.
- Only error messages in logcat now. Should speed it up a bit.


To start in standalone mode:

- Write an NFC tag as described below. NFC tag is optional if you have SU.
- Ensure Wifi is on and USB is not connected via OTG.
- All the usual AA apps must be loaded and up to date.
- Start the app. Press Self button.
- If you grant SU, NFC tag may be optional, but you need to restart app after first SU. Swipe from top and select option to exit car mode.
- If no SU or if it doesn't start after 5-10 seconds, Tap the NFC tag to the device. Move it around until you hear a "success" sound effect. Sometimes it works after several quick attempts.
- Wait a few seconds and hopefully it comes up.
- If you have never run Android Auto on this device, you'll have some prompts to go through.


NFC Tag:

- I have NFC tags like these but any decent writeable ones should work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Piece-NTAG203-Chip-NFC-Smart-Tags-for-All-NFC-Cell-Phones-Samsung-Iphone-5-5S-/400749741944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4e8b c778
- Make sure NFC is on.
- Install the NFC Tools app and start it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ev.wdnfc&hl=en
- Bring the tag to the device until it reads it OK.
- Select "Write" tab and "Add a record".
- Scroll to bottom and select "Data - Add a custom record".
- Enter text as specified without the quotes:
- Enter "application" in the first text box. After the slash ("/") enter "com.google.android.gms.car".
- For good luck enter "Android Auto" in the Data field. Press OK.
- Press write and bring the tag back to the device until you get a success message.
Attached Files
File Type: apk hu_150714b.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.24 MB, 3276 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 07:14 AM |#422  
ahrion's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,169
 
More
The problem I'm having with my nexus 7 2013 is android auto says its not compatible with my device. Any way to get around this? It won't let me download and even when I sideload it is still throwing me errors when aa is setting up.

Please remove the bottom bar with something like this from Google camera

Maybe trigger it with a 3-dot menu on the bottom right of the screen? Maybe a swipe from right to left on the right side of the screen? (Opposite of the drawer). Or even better use immersive mode and then when the status bar is shown, show a floating "settings gear" that then shows the floating drawer similar to camera.

A few suggestions to improve immersion.
@mikereidis
14th July 2015, 08:01 AM |#423  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,172
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrion

The problem I'm having with my nexus 7 2013 is android auto says its not compatible with my device. Any way to get around this? It won't let me download and even when I sideload it is still throwing me errors when aa is setting up.

Please remove the bottom bar with something like this

from Google camera

Maybe trigger it with a 3-dot menu on the bottom right of the screen? Maybe a swipe from right to left on the right side of the screen? (Opposite of the drawer). Or even better use immersive mode and then when the status bar is shown, show a floating "settings gear" that then shows the floating drawer similar to camera.

A few suggestions to improve immersion.
@mikereidis

Are you running the latest stock Android 5.1 on your N7 ? It works for me and most others.

Ensure that you have the latest June 10 release of AA sideloaded: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/

Also ensure you have Google Maps, Google Play Music, Google Now and the Google app and that they are all up to date.

If all else fails, go into AA app, tap 7 times on picture then access Developer settings at the dots. Change mode to "Developer" and check "Skip Disclaimer". It's worth a shot anyway.

I'm happy to hear suggestions and I have some UI ideas myself, but doing it well takes time.

I'm continuing to concentrate for now on functionality, not UI. I only added the buttons at bottom because they are essential to testing. It's more work than you might imagine just to make them disappear, like dealing with SurfaceTexture's instead of SurfaceViews. I have to learn UI stuff as I go because I've always concentrated on the low level stuff that "actually makes stuff happen".
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 08:20 AM |#424  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Try the July 14b release below. A timing fix has it working on N7 2012 now and likely other slower devices will benefit too.


I'm interested to see that many people still want a 2 device solution.

I think Wifi will be preferable to USB given all the problems USB and related cables have, but I'm seeing some older devices don't properly support Wifi direct.

I will try to focus on getting Wifi working better. That will enable both standalone mode and 2 devices Wifi connected.

14b is working much better for sure! Thanks for that.
Standalone is great but most of my music is online, and I would like the ability to make or answer calls. For now the standalone is amazing and I'll take this app as it comes. I'm not going to rush or push you. I'm actually really impressed by the pace this app is being developed. I think the Voice input, WiFi connection, and Multitouch are the 3 most important features to me. I own a galaxy S6 and a galaxy S3 (i747M) in terms of phones and a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet. I have yet to try the Wifi connection because I dont have any NFC tags yet.

USB connection seems like a really big task to implement as there are so many variables that can cause it not to work. WiFi seems ideal, but older phones don't really work with it well as you say. It's a difficult to balance between compatibility and stability. I hope donations are keep coming in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epikarus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Epikarus Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 09:57 AM |#425  
ahrion's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,169
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epikarus

14b is working much better for sure! Thanks for that.
Standalone is great but most of my music is online, and I would like the ability to make or answer calls. For now the standalone is amazing and I'll take this app as it comes. I'm not going to rush or push you. I'm actually really impressed by the pace this app is being developed. I think the Voice input, WiFi connection, and Multitouch are the 3 most important features to me. I own a galaxy S6 and a galaxy S3 (i747M) in terms of phones and a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet. I have yet to try the Wifi connection because I dont have any NFC tags yet.

USB connection seems like a really big task to implement as there are so many variables that can cause it not to work. WiFi seems ideal, but older phones don't really work with it well as you say. It's a difficult to balance between compatibility and stability. I hope donations are keep coming in.

He could probably try to implement force Bluetooth tethering or maybe just have the app pull WiFi direct just for calls \messages?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
14th July 2015, 11:05 AM |#426  
Member
Flag Sydney, Australia
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Perhaps I'm doing this wrong but could someone maybe make a youtube video with a tutorial?

I'm using a Galaxy Note 4.

Trying to do self mode.
I push 'Self'
I have root access and have granted it to the application.
It loads Android Auto and then just have the Android Auto screen... is there anyway to continue after this?

Thanks
Anthony
The Following User Says Thank You to Anton2079 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Anton2079 Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 06:01 PM |#428  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

The July 14b release of the Headunit app now supports single device standalone mode and is attached at the bottom of this post.

Changes:

- Fixes timing issue on Nexus 7 2012 and other slow devices.
- Video corruption issues fixed. (At least some.)
- Video Test button renamed "Test" and works again, but with just 0.5 seconds of video.
- Wifi button is now called "Self" to indicate a standalone mode connection. If the app gets root/SU it simulates the NFC tag so you don't need one.
- I'm not "supporting" actual Wifi connections at this time because it's tricky to convince Android to switch different devices and I don't have a good feel for that yet. And I don't need AA over Wifi publicity now.
--

Tested on my Sony devices, Xperia ZL and Tablet Z stock rom 5.0.2 not rooted, and standalone mode works great! AA is triggered by NFC tag.
So in this July 14b release, is Wifi connection between two different devices disabled? I'm asking because it's not working anymore.
Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to francarl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift francarl Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 07:06 PM |#429  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Works fine in Memo Pad 7 (5.02 rooted) (Nov 2014) phone Oneplus one 64gb.(running Oxygen OS, rooted). better WIFI than USB ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javcarbe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift javcarbe Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 07:27 PM |#430  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
I could make it work between my N5 and my old Galaxy Note N7000 via Wifi Direct using the 14 release.
The video was very lag but worked anyway! Later I will try 14b!
Very nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to xumasso For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xumasso Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 08:32 PM |#431  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,172
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by francarl

Tested on my Sony devices, Xperia ZL and Tablet Z stock rom 5.0.2 not rooted, and standalone mode works great! AA is triggered by NFC tag.
So in this July 14b release, is Wifi connection between two different devices disabled? I'm asking because it's not working anymore.
Thank you.

Good.

I just switched my Z2 tablet back to stock 5.0 last night and it's working good there too.

AA over Wifi between two devices is still enabled. But it may be tricky to get to once the device has connected to itself. Android tends to keep the connection info in ways that are not really documented.

First step (for anyone rooted) is to go into SuperUser/SuperSU config and set Headunit to not be allowed to have SU/root and save. The entry should show red now. Without this the Self/Wifi button will continue to try to connect to self.

Now go into System Wifi settings and tap on "Advanced" after tapping the 3 dots at top right. Now select "Wifi Direct".

If you see a Remembered group with the same name suffix as the local name at top, tap on it and press OK for the "Forget this group?" dialog, You can delete other un-needed groups too, but you might leave a group that represents the other device.

You may also see Peer devices that could be removed too.

Do all this on both devices. Now reboot both.

I tried at least some of this and I still haven't got a remote connection after connecting to self, but I'll try to investigate better.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes