FORUMS

[Android 4.1+] Headunit for Android Auto - 160117 - Self Mode+ other fixes, x86, 720p

7,827 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,172

By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 2nd June 2015, 10:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd July 2015, 01:00 PM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
hi,
please help
with Samsung S5 exynos, it stops at android Auto black screen.
23rd July 2015, 02:22 PM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

If you run "getprop ro.build.version.sdk" from adb shell or a terminal app, it should return 18 for 4.3, 19 for 4.4 or 21 for 5.0.

Try my new 07_23 release below. I added protection that should prevent a crash.

getprop on my asus tablet says im on sdk level 18 as it should be.
07_23 still crashes with "could not find method android.hardware.usb.UsbDevice.getManufacturerName referenced from method ca.yyx.hu.hu_tra.usb_dev_name_get"

Also I have to report severe slowdowns and delays on my Nexus 5 in "self" mode with the 07_23 update. The "Test" video still runs fluidly. Anything I can help to diagnose that?
23rd July 2015, 02:40 PM |#503  
Flag Valladolid
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Have you ever tried putting AA into developer or Retail or Demo modes ? Start the AA app, tap 7 times and select Developer Settings from the dots.

Yep, I tried on each mode and always the red screen, doesn't matter if i try stand alone or usb with other device, AA won't work :S
23rd July 2015, 02:57 PM |#504  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 870

More
Quote:

Interesting...

Do you have a business plan, or is this more of a hobby/fun project ?

Fun/hobby, plus the frustration of there not being any products on the market that satisfy my objectives.
But if I can come up with something that would be useful to others and make a few bucks doing it, then all the better.
I have a very strong feeling that an automotive interface Mezzanine board would really bridge the gap between the die-hard hackers who would typically favor an SBC, and automotive high tech consumers. So if I can build a good quality board and sell it through 96boards/linaro, it just might take off, both for my benefit AND for linaro. But... only time will tell.

Quote:

I'm surprised to see FM at all on an inexpensive dev board. I think early releases (only) of Beagleboard (?) had FM but not officially supported.

Qualcomm wifi/bluetooth chips have FM receivers built in, so it "came along for the ride". Unlike most cellphones that get these chips though, they decided to hook the antenna up to a pin in the audio expansion header rather than just tying it to ground. After all... why not?

Quote:

I am personally hesitant to put much work into a platform with low sales numbers. Selling apps (or soliciting "donations") is hard enough on extremely popular devices like Nexus 7.

Like I said, I am doing this primarily for my own use, and will be satisfied even without selling any.

Quote:

I would favor Qualcomm boards/devices as well and am leery of Chinese products.

There are Chinese hackers who are VERY good at bypassing copy protection, but they are not known for developing software, and I'm sure these two things are directly connected. Because they don't believe in IP rights, and copy/hack everything they can, they aren't willing to make investments in software. Why develop when others will just copy/steal it ?

Company I work for flirted with Chinese hardware for a while. Now we have a metric sh....poop-ton of Chinese junk to show for it. I would say that the HiKey board is probably better than your typical Chinese consumer product. The reality is that the stability of the SoC is really the only concern I have over it, as far as quality goes. I am forced to wonder about thermals on it and stability under load. A lot of pictures of that board show it with a big heat sink on the SoC. Thus far with the dragonboard, I haven't been able to warm the SoC much past "cold steel", though I'll admit, I haven't really put it through its paces yet. The HiKey board itself is CircuitCo (i.e., the American company behind BeagleBoard), and the software is by Linaro.

Oh, bit of warning... don't google image search for HiKey. It does not end well
The Following User Says Thank You to doitright For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doitright Ad-Free
23rd July 2015, 03:00 PM |#505  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright

There are currently TWO 96board consumer devices, 8xA53 HiSilicon Kirin 6220, and 4xA53 Snapdragon 410. I'm working with the Snapdragon, due to onboard GPS and an audio header, plus familiarity with Qualcomm hardware, and general better feeling the Qualcomm hardware brings over the other board's China-SoC.

Is the Snapdragon 410 version's integrated Cat4 LTE modem enabled? Is there also a SIM slot (presumably 4FF nanoSIM?) What about the HiSilicon Kirin 6220 version?
23rd July 2015, 03:05 PM |#506  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 870

More
Quote:

- Last release put the device into Night mode along with Car mode. Now it sets AUTO mode, meaning that it's supposed to switch Night/Day automatically. But it always seems to show Day for me. Android SHOULD have it's own settings. Does it ? Maps had a setting years ago but I can't see one now.

Wild guess... does the AA protocol include provision for a "headlights are on" signal? Most factory headunits have provision to tie in to the headlights for auto-dimming.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline

Is the Snapdragon 410 version's integrated Cat4 LTE modem enabled? Is there also a SIM slot (presumably 4FF nanoSIM?) What about the HiSilicon Kirin 6220 version?

The answer is "no" to all. Can't imagine why you would want it though, does your cell phone not have a mobile data connection that can be shared to the car? Alternatively, if you *insist* on your car having its own data connection, it will, of course, work with a USB "data stick".

Note that the SoC on the Dragonboard will randomly be one of MSM8916 or APQ8016 (I have two boards, one of each). The APQ version is technically the same internally, but binned as "modem failed", and some fuse bits blown to completely disconnect it. In addition, the pins on the SoC necessary for modem usage are physically N/C.
The Following User Says Thank You to doitright For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doitright Ad-Free
23rd July 2015, 05:58 PM |#507  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender

I apologize, I feel like I missed something, although I think I've read most of the thread.

I'm waiting on a new usb otg cable to be delivered. In the meantime, I'm trying to get it working via wifi. I'm using a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 7 2013. They can both see each other via wifi direct, and I've created connections in both directions. However, when I launch headunit, nothing happens? Just the black screen with the buttons at the bottom.

Both are rooted, running Franco kernel, but otherwise stock.

Thanks,

If you have installed both AA and headunit on nexus7 rooted then self mode works without nfc tag.

But if you have AA on nexus5 and hu on nexus7 the only way to trigger aa start is by using nfc tag (or adb command, not tried)
The Following User Says Thank You to francarl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift francarl Ad-Free
23rd July 2015, 07:28 PM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by francarl

If you have installed both AA and headunit on nexus7 rooted then self mode works without nfc tag.

But if you have AA on nexus5 and hu on nexus7 the only way to trigger aa start is by using nfc tag (or adb command, not tried)

Thanks. I'll try when I get home. I think I've got the tag written properly, at any rate, I see the com.google.android.gms.car process show up in the running processes after using the tag on my Nexus 5 (AA only).

I presume that I should set up the wifi direct connection before using the tag?

I tried with a no-name tablet that I have at work, running 4.4.2. HU appears to work, but no connection between the two. I'll try with my Nexus 7 (HU only) when I get home.

PS on the latest version when I tap 3 times at the top, it launches a bug report. It there a different action to start looking for a wifi connection, or should I stick with the previous b version?

Thanks
23rd July 2015, 09:26 PM |#509  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphfalcon

getprop on my asus tablet says im on sdk level 18 as it should be.
07_23 still crashes with "could not find method android.hardware.usb.UsbDevice.getManufacturerName referenced from method ca.yyx.hu.hu_tra.usb_dev_name_get"

Also I have to report severe slowdowns and delays on my Nexus 5 in "self" mode with the 07_23 update. The "Test" video still runs fluidly. Anything I can help to diagnose that?

OK, so I guess it's failing when it's loading, before it REALLY starts running, is that right ?

I don't think that should happen; it doesn't on other devices.

It's important to me to be able to make that call on Lollipop+, so I don't want to disable it completely.

I guess the only way to avoid it is by using Java "reflection". I'll see if I can do that for next release.

I see the same slowness with Wifi and Self. Was it better in earlier releases ? I'll look into it.
23rd July 2015, 09:32 PM |#510  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender

Thanks. I'll try when I get home. I think I've got the tag written properly, at any rate, I see the com.google.android.gms.car process show up in the running processes after using the tag on my Nexus 5 (AA only).

I presume that I should set up the wifi direct connection before using the tag?

I tried with a no-name tablet that I have at work, running 4.4.2. HU appears to work, but no connection between the two. I'll try with my Nexus 7 (HU only) when I get home.

PS on the latest version when I tap 3 times at the top, it launches a bug report. It there a different action to start looking for a wifi connection, or should I stick with the previous b version?

Thanks

Yes, it's best to manually connect the devices first. It can work without this, but I think complications arise if you try to reverse the connection or use other devices for testing.

Yes, gms:car process indicates it recognized the NFC tag.

The "Self" button is also the "Wifi" button. But in order to prevent local AA from starting (if it's installed), you need to deny root to the Headunit app.

I will create some better buttons/options, but lack of a button labelled "Wifi" is driven by my desire to keep AA over Wifi relatively quiet for now.
23rd July 2015, 09:37 PM |#511  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkyShadoW

Yep, I tried on each mode and always the red screen, doesn't matter if i try stand alone or usb with other device, AA won't work :S

AA includes a blacklist of known problem devices.

I've never tried, but it's possible changing ro.product.device in /system/build.prop will work around the blacklist. Or maybe there's a GMS system config file that can be changed.

But the blacklist DOES indicate that the device is or was known to have problems with AA. Some problems might have work-arounds though, like the way too big video problem.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)