FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What should be my next focus?

Try to work out how to integrate ODB2/CAN data?

18 Vote(s)
94.74%
Build a HUD app to work with HUR(HUDWAY style)?

1 Vote(s)
5.26%
Something else?

0 Vote(s)
0%

[Android 4.1+] HeadUnit Reloaded for Android Auto with Wifi

2,630 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,087

By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 4th August 2016, 12:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th June 2017, 04:03 PM |#1001  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel9o2

hi Emil,

in previous versions there was auto start option for self mode. would it be possible to add that again?

Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]

7th June 2017, 06:04 PM |#1002  
Quote:
Originally Posted by fma965

Yeah, i have just got the AA beta for Waze aswell, Headunit working better than ever in the more recent versions on my Nexus 7 2012 4.4.4 (AutoDroid).

Used waze to get to work today aswell and despite only being 5mins away had no issues, both with Waze AA and Headunit, only problem is Waze AA doesn't show speed/speed limits hopefully they add that.

Question for the dev @Emil Borconi, what microphone does it use for voice recognition? and is it possible we could change it to use the phones handsfree kit if it doesn't already?

That waze no show the speed limit is no problem from the headunit app. Look in all videos from waze in Android Auto from the last day. In none video you can see the speed limit.
8th June 2017, 10:51 AM |#1003  
Thanks Meter: 1,659

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

I really don't get why I'm not getting the notifications of post in this thread.... Grrrr!
Sorry for late replies. @donjamal - Nem is olyan lassu az, legalabb is USB-n keresztul. Az uj valtozat amin dolgozok sokkal gyorsabb kene legyen de meg nem mukszik rendesen. (English version: Not that slow, over USB the new version should be MUCH faster, but I'm having stability issues!) @fma965 - Speech goes like this:
- "Ok Google" hotword will ALWAYS be detected by the phone, this is AA design!
- For everything else the app uses the default audio source, which on devices running pre 5.0 will result in auto pick between the tablet mic or the bluetooth mic. For 5.0+ it will mean only tablet mic.

I will add an option for bluetooth mic in the next release, however on devices with 5.0+ enabling that option will mean that it will ONLY listen over bluetooth mic so if you don't have one it will not hear you.

Now as of development, it's possible that I'm getting close to sort the video decoding problems from latest beta's... just need to do more testing..

Ok that's great, Awesome thanks for the quick reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon818

That waze no show the speed limit is no problem from the headunit app. Look in all videos from waze in Android Auto from the last day. In none video you can see the speed limit.

I'm fully aware of that and at no point did i say it was, i was merely pointing out / confirming that waze works with headunit just like any other android auto device.
9th June 2017, 01:34 AM |#1004  
Flag DFW Texas
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Hi Emil,

I wanted to try out this app using my tablet, just to make sure it was exactly what I wanted before purchasing. I got a USB OTG cable, plugged my Nexus 6 into my tablet (after changing modes in AA to developer), and the phone knows it's plugged in to a head unit because it tells me. I open the app on the tablet first, then open the AA app on the phone and nothing shows up on the tablet screen. I've tried several different times, with various settings (like 720p) on and off. No luck.

I have a Lenovo Tab 2 A8 which uses a Mediatek MT8161 1.3 Ghz quad core processor. No one else has the same tablet, so I wouldn't be surprised if the app just isn't compatible.
9th June 2017, 02:03 AM |#1005  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestar1217

Hi Emil,

I wanted to try out this app using my tablet, just to make sure it was exactly what I wanted before purchasing. I got a USB OTG cable, plugged my Nexus 6 into my tablet (after changing modes in AA to developer), and the phone knows it's plugged in to a head unit because it tells me. I open the app on the tablet first, then open the AA app on the phone and nothing shows up on the tablet screen. I've tried several different times, with various settings (like 720p) on and off. No luck.

I have a Lenovo Tab 2 A8 which uses a Mediatek MT8161 1.3 Ghz quad core processor. No one else has the same tablet, so I wouldn't be surprised if the app just isn't compatible.

Hi.

Something is not OK then, if you are using OTG cable you shouldn't open anything at all, everything should start automatically, so it might be the OTG cable or it might be that the tablet has some app which is set as default for USB...
Have you tried the Wifi way, that is probably the easiest way to tell if your tablet supports it or not. It's also possible that the tablet lacks USB Host from the kernel... which will prevent it from working.

Have a look at the following 2 videos:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Z1OAZIUbesI - for OTG
and
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=j-Z5SbQQsZA - for Wifi

Those videos should get you on the right track on how to start the app.
9th June 2017, 03:48 AM |#1006  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Hi Emil,

I have a tab 3 AND it's the same it only works with wifi, no OTG
9th June 2017, 04:05 AM |#1007  
Flag DFW Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj010489

I have a tab 3 AND it's the same it only works with wifi, no OTG

Thank you Emil and thank you sj010489 for also testing! I bought the Tab 2 because it had a great screen and was the perfect size, but man it is just not fast at all, there's not a single thing I do on this tablet that doesn't feel like I'm taxing it in some way, even just browsing.

I did get it working via Wi-Fi, though I couldn't get it working with Wi-Fi Direct which I feel would have been a better experience. But I did get it working well enough that I could see that it will do exactly what I'm looking for.

I think I am going to follow your advice Emil and purchase a Odroid C2 board to use for my car PC install. The eMMC memory is a huge plus, and comes from Odroid with Android pre-loaded. With the Tinker Board my only option is MicroSD, and I gather that would be a much slower system all around. I'm hopeful that the Odroid board will work fine if I plug my Nexus 6 in via USB, this whole thing will be one big experiment!

Thank you everyone for all of your help so far! I'll be sure to update with pictures and videos as I make progress.
9th June 2017, 12:22 PM |#1008  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you Emil and thank you sj010489 for also testing! I bought the Tab 2 because it had a great screen and was the perfect size, but man it is just not fast at all, there's not a single thing I do on this tablet that doesn't feel like I'm taxing it in some way, even just browsing.

I did get it working via Wi-Fi, though I couldn't get it working with Wi-Fi Direct which I feel would have been a better experience. But I did get it working well enough that I could see that it will do exactly what I'm looking for.

I think I am going to follow your advice Emil and purchase a Odroid C2 board to use for my car PC install. The eMMC memory is a huge plus, and comes from Odroid with Android pre-loaded. With the Tinker Board my only option is MicroSD, and I gather that would be a much slower system all around. I'm hopeful that the Odroid board will work fine if I plug my Nexus 6 in via USB, this whole thing will be one big experiment!

Thank you everyone for all of your help so far! I'll be sure to update with pictures and videos as I make progress.

Well this was done with an Odroid C2: https://twitter.com/EmilBorconi/stat...66999788580865

and both of this videos are powered by a Odroid C2 as well:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...trQjhaX0RrelN3
9th June 2017, 02:19 PM |#1009  
Flag DFW Texas

More
Looks great! I'm excited to try it! Would the new XU4 board be worth it in your opinion? It's $20 more but even their website says the C2 is the most bang for your buck.
9th June 2017, 02:36 PM |#1010  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Looks great! I'm excited to try it! Would the new XU4 board be worth it in your opinion? It's $20 more but even their website says the C2 is the most bang for your buck.

I think the c2 is more than enough.
9th June 2017, 02:44 PM |#1011  
Flag DFW Texas

More
Thanks again for all your help. I'm hoping to get something going soon. I'll be sure to be taking pictures and videos, my Pontiac G8 group is going to be interested too.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto, androidauto, headunit

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)