FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What should be my next focus?

Try to work out how to integrate ODB2/CAN data?

18 Vote(s)
94.74%
Build a HUD app to work with HUR(HUDWAY style)?

1 Vote(s)
5.26%
Something else?

0 Vote(s)
0%

[Android 4.1+] HeadUnit Reloaded for Android Auto with Wifi

2,638 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,129

By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 4th August 2016, 12:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th June 2017, 02:44 PM |#1011  
Flag DFW Texas
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Thanks again for all your help. I'm hoping to get something going soon. I'll be sure to be taking pictures and videos, my Pontiac G8 group is going to be interested too.
10th June 2017, 09:20 AM |#1012  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Just trying this out and running into a few issues. With the trial version on my Nexus 7 it just freezes and crashes. Trying my Nexus 6 as the car head unit and connecting my Pixel XL the XL says connected to car in the notification tray but doesn't open AA, when I open it my XL still has the UI and nothing shows on the Nexus 6. Any pointers please?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
10th June 2017, 12:08 PM |#1013  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestride

Just trying this out and running into a few issues. With the trial version on my Nexus 7 it just freezes and crashes. Trying my Nexus 6 as the car head unit and connecting my Pixel XL the XL says connected to car in the notification tray but doesn't open AA, when I open it my XL still has the UI and nothing shows on the Nexus 6. Any pointers please?

Nexus 7 should work fine, are you trying USB or Wifi? Pixel over USB is know to have problems (quite a few!)
Is your Pixer running N or O?
10th June 2017, 12:57 PM |#1014  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

Nexus 7 should work fine, are you trying USB or Wifi? Pixel over USB is know to have problems (quite a few!)
Is your Pixer running N or O?

I was trying USB. WiFi works but fairly slow (I tested over home WiFi rather than phone hotspot). Pixel is on 7.1.2

10th June 2017, 01:11 PM |#1015  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestride

I was trying USB. WiFi works but fairly slow (I tested over home WiFi rather than phone hotspot). Pixel is on 7.1.2

Try a different otg and/or USB-c cable or try WiFi with Tethering directly.
10th June 2017, 01:57 PM |#1016  
Flag Saint Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 152

More
If you run Nexus 6P/5X or Pixel/Pixel XL at Android O you need enable USB Debugging mode at Developer Settings if you want USB Mode
The Following User Says Thank You to RazGame For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RazGame Ad-Free
10th June 2017, 02:52 PM |#1017  
Thanks Meter: 479

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

I really don't get why I'm not getting the notifications of post in this thread.... Grrrr!
Sorry for late replies. @donjamal - Nem is olyan lassu az, legalabb is USB-n keresztul. Az uj valtozat amin dolgozok sokkal gyorsabb kene legyen de meg nem mukszik rendesen. (English version: Not that slow, over USB the new version should be MUCH faster, but I'm having stability issues!) @fma965 - Speech goes like this:
- "Ok Google" hotword will ALWAYS be detected by the phone, this is AA design!
- For everything else the app uses the default audio source, which on devices running pre 5.0 will result in auto pick between the tablet mic or the bluetooth mic. For 5.0+ it will mean only tablet mic.

I will add an option for bluetooth mic in the next release, however on devices with 5.0+ enabling that option will mean that it will ONLY listen over bluetooth mic so if you don't have one it will not hear you.

Now as of development, it's possible that I'm getting close to sort the video decoding problems from latest beta's... just need to do more testing..

it very well can be an issue with my device as well it's running android 7.

and regarding the waze beta, the recent ones are crashing all the time if i love mobile coverage, it's really not reliable. unfortunately the way i'm taking to work, i'm going through hills and mountains and stuff, so coverage comes and goes and therefore waze is fc all the time. not usable at all for me. yesterday i was going to a different direction on the highway where the coverage is pretty much reliable and waze never crashed. in AA, the map goes black time to time, probably when there's no proper network coverage...

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

a feature request: would that be possible to add an option to rename the car to whatever we want?
10th June 2017, 02:57 PM |#1018  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjamal

[/COLOR]a feature request: would that be possible to add an option to rename the car to whatever we want?

Why you don't like my name )

In the beta is already called "Headunit" but I might consider adding that, I just want to get it stable for once.... of course I'm missing one thing, TIME!
10th June 2017, 08:44 PM |#1019  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestar1217

Looks great! I'm excited to try it! Would the new XU4 board be worth it in your opinion? It's $20 more but even their website says the C2 is the most bang for your buck.

What about a khadas vim? That has a better version of the processor and has onboard emmc. Plus they have both marshmallow and nougat available
10th June 2017, 09:17 PM |#1020  
Flag DFW Texas
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Thank you for the suggestion! I looked into it, and I think I like the flexibility of 4 USB ports. I may later on decide to add a USB GPS receiver, so having the flexibility there will be nice. I'm still trying to decide which board to buy though. The Asus Tinker Board has a lot of things I like about it.
12th June 2017, 12:47 AM |#1021  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi All!

I've searched this thread for any number of keywords related, but can't find answers to the following question:

I've got a 2012 Nexus 7, running TIMUR's ROM and Kernel (for OTG support + fast charging). Unfortunately, that's Android 4.2, so not the 5+ that AA seems to need.

Do I need to have the AA app installed on the tablet as well as Headunit Reloaded? If so, how do I find an APK for AA that removes the minimum version requirement?

At the moment I've got the "trial" APK installed as I'm waiting to hear back from you RE: purchase of Mike's (RIP) version that no longer works.

I briefly managed to get it working using WiFi (but only with audio on the phone) and have been prompted about MTP over USB when I've plugged it in once or twice (but the prompt only ever opened Headunit Reloaded to the main screen, not AA). I've read the instructions a thousand times and from my understanding all I need to do is plug my phone into the OTG cable's USB port, which should then start AA on both devices right?

If the issue IS that I can't install AA on the tablet with 4.2.2, I can always get one of the Marshmallow/Nougat roms with OTG support (I saw a beanstalk one the other day) but they don't seem to have (or at least not documented) support for things like auto-sleep on power loss/ fast charge (1800ma, though I've tried turning this off as suggested in the troubleshooting steps) on OTG etc. Any recommendations for a slim ROM that will run all this stuff? OR I suppose I could use a stock ROM (5.1) but I'd need a Kernel that supports USB OTG charging right?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've installed another ROM (Beanstalk 7.1) which has an OTG supported kernel, and that "works" for OTG and charging. "Works" because I can now install android auto and run it, but I can't get headunit reloaded to work still. This is actually far less stable as well, as I keep getting force restarts, which then bootloop if I've got an OTG cable plugged in. If I get past this hump with some help I'll certainly help to write a from-scratch guide to getting this all sorted!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto, androidauto, headunit

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)