FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What should be my next focus?

Try to work out how to integrate ODB2/CAN data?

18 Vote(s)
94.74%
Build a HUD app to work with HUR(HUDWAY style)?

1 Vote(s)
5.26%
Something else?

0 Vote(s)
0%

[Android 4.1+] HeadUnit Reloaded for Android Auto with Wifi

2,632 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,115

By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 4th August 2016, 12:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th July 2017, 08:33 PM |#1101  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestar1217

I would be ok with that, but the audio quality of the HB01 isn't the best, that's one reason why I'm working to integrate the Tinker Board instead. It over-boosts the low end, and I think that may be fine on most cars, but I have upgraded my sound system and it really doesn't sound great in my car.

That makes sense, indeed in a normal car the HB01 sounds fine (better than my FM radio ) but if you upgraded the sound system, I can understand where you are coming from.
Are you planning to use AUX input from the thinker board if so I'm pretty sure there must be some splitter which will allow dual aux input, and normally you won't have any signal going from the thinkerboard when the bluetooth is in use and other way around so probably filters won't be really needed, but again if you sound system is upgraded it might still cause back noise...
4th July 2017, 09:03 PM |#1102  
Flag DFW Texas
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

That makes sense, indeed in a normal car the HB01 sounds fine (better than my FM radio ) but if you upgraded the sound system, I can understand where you are coming from.
Are you planning to use AUX input from the thinker board if so I'm pretty sure there must be some splitter which will allow dual aux input, and normally you won't have any signal going from the thinkerboard when the bluetooth is in use and other way around so probably filters won't be really needed, but again if you sound system is upgraded it might still cause back noise...

I may consider it, or something similar later on. I actually have 2 auxillary inputs, one 3.5mm on the front that I don't really use much, and one RCA video/audio on the rear that I'll be using for the Tinker Board. So it would be possible to have the HB01 wired up on the front aux and switch when I need to take a call. But I don't like wires, I prefer everything to look factory (so as not to invite criminals), so it'll depend on whether my needs outweigh my cosmetic preferences :P

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Looks like Pine64 just released a new board with a 64-bit Rockchip 3328 and up to 4GB of RAM. Plus eMMC capability. No built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth though, which is a bummer. Great price though.

https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=7147
5th July 2017, 08:41 AM |#1103  
Thanks Meter: 1,659

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

"Ok Google" is always detected by the phone mic, all other voice commands are picked up by the tablet mic.

Quote:

I may consider it, or something similar later on. I actually have 2 auxillary inputs, one 3.5mm on the front that I don't really use much, and one RCA video/audio on the rear that I'll be using for the Tinker Board. So it would be possible to have the HB01 wired up on the front aux and switch when I need to take a call. But I don't like wires, I prefer everything to look factory (so as not to invite criminals), so it'll depend on whether my needs outweigh my cosmetic preferences :P

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Looks like Pine64 just released a new board with a 64-bit Rockchip 3328 and up to 4GB of RAM. Plus eMMC capability. No built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth though, which is a bummer. Great price though.

Surely the Aux port on the tinker board is going to be just as bad quality as the bluetooth adapter, you need a USB DAC or something.
5th July 2017, 08:57 AM |#1104  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Nice one, and it has usb 3.... Wonder if the WiFi module from the other pine64 fits on it....
5th July 2017, 02:38 PM |#1105  
Flag DFW Texas

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fma965

Surely the Aux port on the tinker board is going to be just as bad quality as the bluetooth adapter, you need a USB DAC or something.

I won't be using the aux port on the Tinker Board, although it does have a great one that supports 192k/24bit audio. I'm actually using the HDMI output and a converter that changes it to an RCA signal that's compatible with my radio. The sound quality is really very good. I also ran my Himbox to the RCA jacks on the rear of my radio, but unfortunately as I said it wasn't great quality. I've attached a picture of an old MHL capable phone I'm using in the car right now with the same converter. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170623_210512.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	4202351  
6th July 2017, 05:24 AM |#1106  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal_Nick

Edit: I've installed another ROM (Beanstalk 7.1) which has an OTG supported kernel, and that "works" for OTG and charging. "Works" because I can now install android auto and run it, but I can't get headunit reloaded to work still. This is actually far less stable as well, as I keep getting force restarts, which then bootloop if I've got an OTG cable plugged in. If I get past this hump with some help I'll certainly help to write a from-scratch guide to getting this all sorted!

Not sure if this is a bit late, but I have been running this MM based ROM for my Nexus 7 Car Install without any issues:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...emake-t3282311
It has all the bits required for Car Install (OTG+Charging, Fast Charge in Host Mode, etc) merged in

Make sure to get the PowerEventManager apk from here and install it for auto-sleep:
https://github.com/michiil/packages_...erEventMgr.apk
If it doesn't work by itself, you can always create a Tasker Task to invoke it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sara.ramli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sara.ramli Ad-Free
6th July 2017, 09:54 AM |#1107  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli

Not sure if this is a bit late, but I have been running this MM based ROM for my Nexus 7 Car Install without any issues:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...emake-t3282311
It has all the bits required for Car Install (OTG+Charging, Fast Charge in Host Mode, etc) merged in

Make sure to get the PowerEventManager apk from here and install it for auto-sleep:
https://github.com/michiil/packages_...erEventMgr.apk
If it doesn't work by itself, you can always create a Tasker Task to invoke it.

i tried that rom but couldn't really get anything working, did you not need to do anything other than what you mentioned? also isn't it really laggy on android 6?
7th July 2017, 12:18 AM |#1108  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Question.

Does anybody uses Intel based headunit? How is the bluetooth mic quality for calls? I just got myself another car today and it highly likely that I'm going to get one of those chinese units, too complicated to build in my own tablet, but I need a good quality handsfree, I had very bad experience in the past, so I'm a bit reluctant, and as far as I know all the other units do lack a good echo cancellation and noise reduction making the cal quality quite poor.

Thank you.

P.S. Yesterday I had a very positive breakthrough with the app, so hopefully tomorrow I can release the full app, I just want to finish a small Wifi-Direct connector app for the phone as well, so I can release both at the same time.
7th July 2017, 05:18 AM |#1109  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fma965

i tried that rom but couldn't really get anything working, did you not need to do anything other than what you mentioned? also isn't it really laggy on android 6?

It worked mostly as expected out of the box. Did the usual optimizing steps using a combo of Greenify, Servicely and Amplify to cut down on unwanted background activity and improve Deep Sleep time. Also use ForceDoze to begin Doze mode as soon as power is lost along with PowerEventManager.

I'll try and post an exhaustive writeup of the setup if that may help and an accompanying video probably, as long as we are not hijacking this thread.

BTW, planning to try out the HUR on the tab this weekend.
9th July 2017, 01:49 AM |#1110  

Donate to Me
More
Is there any reason why i am getting the "scrolling locked" message when scrolling through playlists/songs/etc, i thought this was bypassed? have google updated their method or something?
10th July 2017, 03:53 AM |#1111  
Flag DFW Texas

More
Hello Emil,
When I start up my Tinker Board I have a USB mouse and keyboard plugged in and every time the HU Reloaded app starts right upon boot up and gives me the Default USB device message. I'm wondering if the app sees every USB device as a potential candidate for AA and that's why it starts up? It only happens on initial boot up, but after I dismiss everything and close the app it doesn't seem to detect my phone like it should. When I plug the phone in it starts AA and goes to the AA screen, but the HUR app doesn't open on my Tinker Board. If I open it myself and then unplug/plug in my phone again it will work as it should. Was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

Thanks for any help! I purchased your app from the Play Store and I'm very excited about getting it installed in my car, just waiting for a last piece of the puzzle to arrive.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto, androidauto, headunit

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)