FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What should be my next focus?

Try to work out how to integrate ODB2/CAN data?

18 Vote(s)
94.74%
Build a HUD app to work with HUR(HUDWAY style)?

1 Vote(s)
5.26%
Something else?

0 Vote(s)
0%

[Android 4.1+] HeadUnit Reloaded for Android Auto with Wifi

2,629 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,082

By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 4th August 2016, 12:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th August 2016, 01:04 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price

Need much more information to help. What S4 firmware, carrier, and Android version are you running? What Nexus 7 firmware? Are you trying to connect over Wi-Fi or USB?

Samsung S4
LRX22C.I9505XXUPOL1
NL KPN

Nexus 7 2012
LMY47V

Connection over USB works. Although I have to restart HU 3times to actually get a AA connection. Was 2x with previous version 20/1 BTW)

Wifi and WifiP2P doesnt work at all..

10th August 2016, 01:32 PM |#22  
Flag chester
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

Hi. Not that I'm aware of this is the first time I heard it. Does the GPS work in other applications? Sometimes GPS does get stuck, try to open a Google Maps please see if you get a location and it's all working and once that is ok try to open the app.

i have managed to get the GPS working my issue now is how slow the transitions through options is, i have a nexus 7 (2013) tablet so should be powerfull enough to run it, im also using wifi connect, im not transmitting audio either
10th August 2016, 01:57 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpostma

Im interested too because isnt working on my s4 and nexus7 2012

Quote:

Samsung S4
LRX22C.I9505XXUPOL1
NL KPN

Nexus 7 2012
LMY47V

Connection over USB works. Although I have to restart HU 3times to actually get a AA connection. Was 2x with previous version 20/1 BTW)

Wifi and WifiP2P doesnt work at all..

I'd definitely try the 1.02 update first. What is the IP that the Nexus 7 is getting from the phone (in Wi-Fi tethering mode)?
10th August 2016, 02:31 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher price

i'd definitely try the 1.02 update first. What is the ip that the nexus 7 is getting from the phone (in wi-fi tethering mode)?

10th August 2016, 02:40 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:

Hmm, that's correct.

Also run the Play Services Info app and make sure you're at the latest version. I've seen some Galaxy devices refuse to update for ages - particularly pre-S5: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...viceinfo&hl=en

Personally though I'd stick to USB. Wi-Fi performance is going to be poor due to the S4 being slow to transcode frames outbound. On my Snapdragon 810's there is still chops.
10th August 2016, 09:00 PM |#26  
Flag chester
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Ok so i have sortes mine out using usb ota. But now the audio plays from the tablet and the call audio from the phone, is their anyway like on wifi to have the phone or tablet handle all audio? That way i only need one device connected to my car via bluetooth?

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA Premium HD app
10th August 2016, 09:50 PM |#27  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Updates:

I have re encountered today the Wifi disconnection as previously... so currently looking into alternative solutions on how to get this sorted and stable for once. Mike originally used socket read/write to communicate with the AA, trying to reverse engineer as much as I can the official Desktop Head Unit I see that they use recv/send instead, while write can be the same as send the recv and read will most probably behave slightly different. What I couldn't work out till now is the flags used for the recv in the DHU (Desktop Head Unit), neither the options used for the socket connections.
Of course now that the tablet is plugged in and I'm watching the ADB log constantly, with verbose output it works correctly....

Other issues

- I know of 3 different users with 4 devices which just do not connect over Wifi or Self mode, till now I wasn't able to reproduce the error, I have now ordered a tablet like the one with problems, will get it configured exactly the same (same rom/kernel) and will try to figure that out as well, if anybody else is having this sort of problem please let me know. Fingers crossed I don't have to wait too much till it gets delivered from Ebay.

- Sluggish video: - Please try to make a video and send it over, sluggish can mean different to everybody

One I manage to get to the bottom of this issues I will look into other improvements as well, but my current goal is to make the app stable before I start looking into additional tweaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2016, 11:23 PM |#28  
One of the people have make an interesting test. I testet the HeadUnit with an other phone (XperiaSP) with cyanogen and the self mode and WiFi not run. Then I change the ROM to AOSP and both works.
10th August 2016, 11:33 PM |#29  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon818

One of the people have make an interesting test. I testet the HeadUnit with an other phone (XperiaSP) with cyanogen and the self mode and WiFi not run. Then I change the ROM to AOSP and both works.

That is good news, but I want to make sure it works across all the roms (or at least as much as possible)
11th August 2016, 09:39 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Let me first say how thrilled I am that this app works again, it honestly works better than ever! Amazing work! A problem I have encountered is the newest APK will often connect once over wifi but fail after it crashes once. Force closing both android auto and headunit reloaded won't fix it but after I reboot both devices it usually works once. Running HU Reloaded on an Android M Nexus 7 2013 and Android Auto dev server on an Android N DP5 Nexus 6p. I am unsure if this problem comes up via USB as the port on my nexus 7 is 80% broken and unfit for the continuous connection that this app needs. Another problem (often but not always after a successful connection) is that android auto will open on the phone but only show the android auto GUI and never go to the black ANDROID AUTO splash screen. I can absolutely send logs tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised if the problems are due to android N and not headunit reloaded.

Wifi mode, when it works, is pretty slow between the devices. Besides turning off audio transmission between the devices is there anything we can do to improve performance? If not thats OK. I am just surprised wifi doesn't have the bandwidth to stream 720P or lower video but maybe theres other factors at play.
11th August 2016, 09:55 AM |#31  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
I'm waiting for my Nexus to be delivered one of this days so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the problems mentioned. As I said I made some tweaks again in the app and today the journey was stable no close no wifi disconnect at all, but I'm afraid to say anything, since the first version worked fine for a couple of days than it went AWOL, keep alive fix looked promising for 2 days and then same, so before I push an update I want to make sure that it does work.

As of wifi bandwidth...I have a got feeling that wifi isn't always using the 54 Mbps occasionally I see connection speeds dropping to single figures, and I think this is all to do with the os trying to optimise everything....

I can consider myself a lucky one since I have no paper problem with the WiFi, but will see once I get my Nexus.

Other theory is that underlying TCP socket isn't operating properly.... Which will explain the sluggish behaviour...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto, androidauto, headunit

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)