FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What should be my next focus?

Try to work out how to integrate ODB2/CAN data?

18 Vote(s)
94.74%
Build a HUD app to work with HUR(HUDWAY style)?

1 Vote(s)
5.26%
Something else?

0 Vote(s)
0%

[Android 4.1+] HeadUnit Reloaded for Android Auto with Wifi

2,629 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,082

By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 4th August 2016, 12:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th August 2019, 07:04 PM |#3801  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
USB works better with the latest beta.
still would love to see a 1280x480 resolution.

what would be the recommended way to use wifi with my setup?:

phone: android 9
Headunit: android 9

Phone always runs wifi hotspot (2.4g) for multiple devices
headunit is always connected to the wifi of the phone
(i would like to avoid wifi direct (bt connection is already in use and multiple devices are connected to the phone hotspot with a strong password and different bssid)

14th August 2019, 07:53 PM |#3802  
Flag Fareham (not in Wales)
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Was trying to download the beta via XDA Labs earlier and it kept failing either from being tethered to my phone or via my home wifi. This is my first time using XDA Labs so I'm not sure if its an issue with that. Its on my old 4.4 .x something NU3000 head unit and the downloading icon flashed up briefly a couple of time in the taskbar and then flagged an error "something when wrong".
Anybody got any ideas?
14th August 2019, 08:31 PM |#3803  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taostn

(i would like to avoid wifi direct (bt connection is already in use and multiple devices are connected to the phone hotspot with a strong password and different bssid)

As per my understanding, WiFi direct and normal WiFi hotspot can coexist. Maybe these questions can be added to the second post as FAQ as this seems to be a very common use case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
14th August 2019, 08:41 PM |#3804  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhdamm

Thanks Emil
Excellent, and I'll give it a try

@Emil Borconi
I went through your how-to for "Phone runs PIE or higher / Headunit is running Android version between 4.1 and 7.0" as is the case.
HUR Tablet shows in the WiFi direct option on my phone, but I get no pairing pop-up on either device.
Connecting HUR under WiFi Direct on my phone manually is not a problem though, but nothing happens on the HUR.
I didn't manage to get past the "Listening for incoming connection on the HUR".
Tried several times, clearing cache etc. but no pairing.
(HUR definitely creates a Hotspot.)

Tried different combos in HUR and Wifi Launcher without any success.

Went back to creating a hotspot on phone and manually starting AA server, which made things work, however the WiFi Direct feature would be my prefered option, if I could get it to work.
Thanks for all your efforts Emil

(Huawei P30 Pro android 9.1 / Galaxy Tab S2 8" android 7.0)

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex531

Sorry I forgot to mention it doesn't have a option in my head unit to create hotspot since it doesn't have a sim card(or there is one but I can't find it). The hotspot is created by the HUR

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

If you try to disable the incoming listening feature, restart HUR, does it say wifi direct enabled and then p2p service failed? I didn't get the second notification until I turned incoming listening off. And try exit and open it few times to be sure, sometimes it doesn't show

Yes, in that case I get the "p2p group creation failed".
What should that tell me?
The Following User Says Thank You to uhdamm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift uhdamm Ad-Free
14th August 2019, 11:12 PM |#3805  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taostn

USB works better with the latest beta.
still would love to see a 1280x480 resolution.

what would be the recommended way to use wifi with my setup?:

phone: android 9
Headunit: android 9

What do you mean by "still would love to see a 1280x480 resolution." the new beta does adjust and scale the content so the resolution and aspect ratio are kept correctly. Can you send a picture?

Sure you can use that as well, see the second post of this thread for how to create a tasker or a macrodoid automation on the headunit, as for the phone, you will need to have the headunit server running in this case all the time. There you will need to use a tasker/macrodoid as well to turn on the hotspot for you.

If you chose to do this, you can ignore everything about the new icoming connection, wifi direct, etc, just make sure you have something which turns on the hotspot on the phone and something which sends the intent on the headunit.
14th August 2019, 11:13 PM |#3806  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshblob

Was trying to download the beta via XDA Labs earlier and it kept failing either from being tethered to my phone or via my home wifi. This is my first time using XDA Labs so I'm not sure if its an issue with that. Its on my old 4.4 .x something NU3000 head unit and the downloading icon flashed up briefly a couple of time in the taskbar and then flagged an error "something when wrong".
Anybody got any ideas?

It's something to do with XDA Labs, feel free to email me directly.
14th August 2019, 11:19 PM |#3807  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

@Emil Borconi
I went through your how-to for "Phone runs PIE or higher / Headunit is running Android version between 4.1 and 7.0" as is the case.
HUR Tablet shows in the WiFi direct option on my phone, but I get no pairing pop-up on either device.
Connecting HUR under WiFi Direct on my phone manually is not a problem though, but nothing happens on the HUR.
I didn't manage to get past the "Listening for incoming connection on the HUR".
Tried several times, clearing cache etc. but no pairing.
(HUR definitely creates a Hotspot.)

Tried different combos in HUR and Wifi Launcher without any success.

Went back to creating a hotspot on phone and manually starting AA server, which made things work, however the WiFi Direct feature would be my prefered option, if I could get it to work.
Thanks for all your efforts Emil

(Huawei P30 Pro android 9.1 / Galaxy Tab S2 8" android 7.0)

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Yes, in that case I get the "p2p group creation failed".
What should that tell me?

Please re-read the second post, for phone running Pie and headunit running anything between 4.0 and 7.0 there is no single word mentioning Wifi Direct.
Tablet/Car:
1) Enable Incoming connection and make sure the Create Wifi Hotspot is also enabled (both HUR settings!)
2) Restart HUR
Phone:
1) Install Wifi Launcher, do NOT enable the Wifi Direct option, only select the car's BT adaptor and of course make sure you BT is turned on the phone.

Go to the car start the car as soon as the phone connects to the car's BT Wifi Launcher will do the rest, do make sure that HUR is running on the car.
14th August 2019, 11:28 PM |#3808  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

Please re-read the second post, for phone running Pie and headunit running anything between 4.0 and 7.0 there is no single word mentioning Wifi Direct.
Tablet/Car:
1) Enable Incoming connection and make sure the Create Wifi Hotspot is also enabled (both HUR settings!)
2) Restart HUR
Phone:
1) Install Wifi Launcher, do NOT enable the Wifi Direct option, only select the car's BT adaptor and of course make sure you BT is turned on the phone.

Go to the car start the car as soon as the phone connects to the car's BT Wifi Launcher will do the rest, do make sure that HUR is running on the car.

Thanks Emil.

WiFi direct was only to see if the HUR was visible.

I did the exact steps several times with no luck.
Tommorow I'll install everything from scratch, and give it another try. I'm not giving up
14th August 2019, 11:31 PM |#3809  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgarcor

As per my understanding, WiFi direct and normal WiFi hotspot can coexist. Maybe these questions can be added to the second post as FAQ as this seems to be a very common use case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

This indeed creates confusions, they can't co-exist, BUT the Wifi Direct has a function which creates a hotspot (if the chip supports it).
It's a bit more complicated to explain, but basically:

Wifi Direct is also know as Wifi P2P or Wifi Peer 2 Peer, it's a protocol where there is no central router or such, but every device is equal and can speak to each other, there is no server in this scenario either.

To use Wifi Direct, the Wifi MUST be enabled, so in case you turn on tethering the old fashion way from settings, then Wifi Direct won't work at all.
Now if Wifi is enabled (not necessarily connected to any network) and you start Wifi Direct service, once the service starts up, you have a method to create a so called group owner peer. This is a special Peer and it's designed to facilitate communication with devices which do not support Wifi Direct, to facilitate this, the method creates a hotspot and simulate a "server" role. This created hotspot does not show up on the device anywhere, however neighbouring devices will see a new Wifi network when they scan for network. So if a neighbour device does not support the Wifi Direct, it will in theory still be able to connect to this peer to peer network, by connecting to a hotspot. The problem is the hotspot name changes every time and so does the password, and there is no way for an app to control this, so this cannot be used exactly as a classic hotspot.

Hope this does shed a bit of light to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2019, 11:35 PM |#3810  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks Emil.

WiFi direct was only to see if the HUR was visible.

I did the exact steps several times with no luck.
Tommorow I'll install everything from scratch, and give it another try. I'm not giving up

Steps to take to troubleshoot in case connection is not firing:
1) When phone connects to car's BT you should see a notification and Wifi Launcher for HUR should start, if it doesn't you might have selected the wrong BT or the phone doesn't pair with the car for some reason.
2) If Wifi Launcher for HUR does start on the phone and HUR is running on the car in listenning mode, on the phone go to Wifi networks and see if you see a network called HUR. If you do see try to forget it, and then reconnect to it, the password should be "AndroidAutoConnect"
3) If there is no HUR wifi in the list, open the tethering settings on the car and check if the name is set to HUR and password to AndroidAutoConnect
15th August 2019, 03:58 AM |#3811  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Android 8.0 problems? Model specific?
I have 2 Xperia XZs's (G8232), with most updated stock OS (Android 8.0). Both do not work with Headunit Reloaded on wired USB (they chime the charger inserted sound 3 times, that's it). They are not defective units.

I've been reading that Android 8.0 has problems with USB and Android Auto. Can anyone else comment on Android 8.0? Does anyone else have the Xperia model I have and figured out a way to get it to work?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android auto, androidauto, headunit

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)