FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][5.0+]AndroidAuto carNotifier (Multi-language and Email support)

2,449 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,911
 
By Emil Borconi, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 18th November 2018, 02:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Beta 1.0 released

I will like to start saying a very big thank you to @bggold who asked me to consider this in the first place

While there isn't any way to use the nice Google Assistant voice, and it's still rough around the edges, this demonstrates how we can use Android Auto in a multi-lingual environment as well as how to read out and reply emails.

The concept is very simple, instead of relaying on Android Auto to read out the notifications I have created a small app which mimics that behaviour, with some extras:

1) It try to do a language detection for each test, and use the appropriate TextToSpeech
2) It allows the user to select which app notification does he/she want's to read
3) If the content is really long (like a lengthy email) the app will prompt the user if it want's to go ahead with the message readout or not
4) If notification supports quick-reply the app will prompt the user for a reply (in the same language as the the original message)

Planning to support a lot of languages but there I will need user input, I have translated the basic strings to around 70 languages using Google translator, but I can tell it's not quite right (I can see with the languages I do speak)

Best part, app won't be affected by 3rd party restriction at all and it won't require root either, however I'm pretty sure Google will not allow it on the PlayStore

Beta version available now on XDA Labs.

App will be payable, however current beta is free so grab a copy while you can

To use the app you will need to enable unknown sources in Android Auto, simply open Android Auto, go to About, tap the "About Android Auto" header 10 times till you become a developer, then from the 3 dotted right menu select developer options and enable "Unknown sources"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
22nd November 2018, 06:50 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 2,537
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

Beta 1.0 released

I will like to start saying a very big thank you to @bggold who asked me to consider this in the first place

While there isn't any way to use the nice Google Assistant voice, and it's still rough around the edges, this demonstrates how we can use Android Auto in a multi-lingual environment as well as how to read out and reply emails.

The concept is very simple, instead of relaying on Android Auto to read out the notifications I have created a small app which mimics that behaviour, with some extras:

1) It try to do a language detection for each test, and use the appropriate TextToSpeech
2) It allows the user to select which app notification does he/she want's to read
3) If the content is really long (like a lengthy email) the app will prompt the user if it want's to go ahead with the message readout or not
4) If notification supports quick-reply the app will prompt the user for a reply (in the same language as the the original message)

Planning to support a lot of languages but there I will need user input, I have translated the basic strings to around 70 languages using Google translator, but I can tell it's not quite right (I can see with the languages I do speak)

Best part, app won't be affected by 3rd party restriction at all and it won't require root either, however I'm pretty sure Google will not allow it on the PlayStore

Beta version available now on XDA Labs.

App will be payable, however current beta is free so grab a copy while you can

To use the app you will need to enable unknown sources in Android Auto, simply open Android Auto, go to About, tap the "About Android Auto" header 10 times till you become a developer, then from the 3 dotted right menu select developer options and enable "Unknown sources"

Thanks for making this app!

After first start it asked for notification permission and then it was gone to build the list of installed apps/services - endless...

So I've forced close the app after minutes, went to app info/permissions, and enabled unselected permissions for it.

After that the app works now, as it should!

I'll test the functionality today while using AA in my car.

Regards bitstra
The Following User Says Thank You to bitstra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bitstra Ad-Free
22nd November 2018, 03:33 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield
Thanks Meter: 1,911
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitstra

Thanks for making this app!

After first start it asked for notification permission and then it was gone to build the list of installed apps/services - endless...

So I've forced close the app after minutes, went to app info/permissions, and enabled unselected permissions for it.

After that the app works now, as it should!

I'll test the functionality today while using AA in my car.

Regards bitstra

Thanks. It was 3 am )) updating the app now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2018, 07:20 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
This is exactly what I needed. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work. Using Samsung S9 plus running Oreo. Gave read permission to the app, enabled developer settings on Android Auto, enabled unknown sources, enabled whatsapp and Gmail.
Whatsapp notifications haven't changed and it continues to read the foreign text in English. Gmail notifications don't pop up at all.
Any suggestions?
23rd November 2018, 07:11 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 290
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yavuzyay

This is exactly what I needed. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work. Using Samsung S9 plus running Oreo. Gave read permission to the app, enabled developer settings on Android Auto, enabled unknown sources, enabled whatsapp and Gmail.
Whatsapp notifications haven't changed and it continues to read the foreign text in English. Gmail notifications don't pop up at all.
Any suggestions?

Not sure if you saw but there is a new release. It fixes this issue. Just remember to reboot after updating.
The Following User Says Thank You to bggold For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bggold Ad-Free
23rd November 2018, 09:29 AM |#6  
Junior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Unfortunately I have the same problem as @yavuzyay. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge with Android 7.0 and Carnotifier Beta v3.
23rd November 2018, 02:15 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Wakefield
Thanks Meter: 1,911
 
Donate to Me
More
Thanks to @yavuzyay for bugreport and Turkish language input.

I have identified the problem where the app was crashing in case you where using AA on the phone only, and this has been now fixed.
@CeldeSuS - Are you phone only or are you using AA on the car? If phone only, download the new beta 1.4
The Following User Says Thank You to Emil Borconi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd November 2018, 02:22 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Borconi

@CeldeSuS - Are you phone only or are you using AA on the car? If phone only, download the new beta 1.4

I'm using AA on the car (Alpine X802D-U head unit). I'll try the new beta anyway and report back.
24th November 2018, 09:04 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Awesome. Works perfectly.
27th November 2018, 06:15 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
V4 work fine with SM960F(android 8.0) & RLink1 !
Great job!
27th November 2018, 03:33 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 276
 
More
Very good stuff!
I use it with the now playing feature - basically phone picks up music on the radio,.detects the song and artist and throws a notification. This app picks that up and shows it as a notification on the car screen! I have disabled read out. So it stays as a simple notification.
Quick question - haven't been able to try it - if I set zero seconds as the duration, will it leave the notification forever?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
androidauto, multilanguage, notification, tts

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes