Cannot run alongside with Blokada*

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk
27th September 2017, 07:10 AM |#12  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 39,781

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackel

This looks like a great app! I do wish you would reconsider your position on releasing the source code, both for the Android VPN client and the server. If I could, I would love to run my own, private server instance, even if this means sacrificing some anonymity. I also have to imagine that if this app takes off (which I hope it does), server bandwidth costs would become prohibitively expensive for you to maintain yourself, which means you will start having to charge users for bandwidth. I also think it doesn't make sense to always route everything through France when the majority of the time I'm at home, on my own local WiFi network.

I have no plans to open source VPN/Sentry at this moment. One of the reasons is that I don't want to support running own serves, since this will inevitably result in all kind of questions I don't want / can't put time into at this moment.

Related FAQ: https://www.vpnsentry.net/faq/#FAQ8

This thread is for a reason in the XDA paid apps main forum. Data usage is free at this moment and will stay free up to a limit (to be determined), but will / need to be paid later on.

If you would run your own server, your internet traffic has to pass through your local Wi-Fi network as well, so this is not really an argument. I will add a server in Canada soon, also to have a proper backup, if you are worried about latency.

If you are concerned about your privacy, this is what I wrote in the NetGuard forum:

"I can imagine people asking themselves if I am trustworthy and they should. Therefore a little about my motives: developing VPN/Sentry is mainly a technical challenge to me (although the app looks simple, it is in fact a lot more complex than NetGuard under the hood). VPN/Sentry is something I want to use myself to reduce battery usage while still having full filtering capabilities. VPN/Sentry already has profiles and will have wildcard and global filtering (including ad blocking) in the near future.

I am just a independent developer and not a big company. IMHO you should be more worried about big companies anyway. Run the Android Booking.com app with NetGuard with filtering enabled or with VPN/Sentry enabled and take a look at what is being accessed for an example.

I have no interest in your data and not even the time to analyze your data. I might take a look at your data in the testing phase, but this will be just to debug problems.

Anyway, you have to make up your own mind about this, but I hope this helps.
"

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=5493
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th September 2017, 08:02 AM |#13  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulasno

Cannot run alongside with Blokada*

Only one app can use the Android VPN service at the same time, so this is not surprising.
VPN/Sentry will have it's own ad blocker in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th September 2017, 01:54 PM |#14  
OP Recognized Developer

More
The server data (rules/conditions) will be backed up daily from now.
29th September 2017, 12:26 PM |#15  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Possible to trigger VPN with apps without using 3rd party tools?

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk
29th September 2017, 12:32 PM |#16  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Possible to trigger VPN with apps without using 3rd party tools?

I am not sure what you mean, so can you explain in more detail what you want?
What do you mean by "trigger" ?
29th September 2017, 12:38 PM |#17  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Turn on VPN when I use Facebook. Off when I shut down FB

Sent from my Samsung SM-J730GM using XDA Labs
29th September 2017, 12:48 PM |#18  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Turn on VPN when I use Facebook. Off when I shut down FB

Without root permissions it is not possible to monitor the state (active or not) of other apps, so what you want is not possible. Note that VPN/Sentry was designed to not require root permissions.

I don't see the added value either, since the VPN is there to secure all connections, not only those of Facebook. If you really want, you can enable the VPN and exclude all apps except Facebook from using the VPN.
29th September 2017, 11:10 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I'm very excited to see you working on another privacy app, thankyou M. - I will be happy to assist by testing as far as my time allows.

Is there any public repository of issues where to check before asking stupid questions or reporting duplicate 'bugs' ?

At my first trials, I noticed odd app behaviour regarding defaults of blocking/permitting. Are you aware of any issues in that area?
29th September 2017, 11:26 PM |#20  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerolianis

I'm very excited to see you working on another privacy app, thankyou M. - I will be happy to assist by testing as far as my time allows.

Is there any public repository of issues where to check before asking stupid questions or reporting duplicate 'bugs' ?

At my first trials, I noticed odd app behaviour regarding defaults of blocking/permitting. Are you aware of any issues in that area?

Thanks for helping.

Just comment here if you have any question or remark. Everything is still deliberately low profile.

What odd app behavior did you notice?
30th September 2017, 12:02 PM |#21  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I have just released beta version 0.21.

Changelog:
  • Added menu 'show all apps' to show system components
  • Added menu to import/export all settings
  • Added option to purchase unlimited data usage
  • Added support for fragmented IP packets
  • Small improvements and bug fixes

It can take a few hours until this release is available in the Play store.

Edit: existing users will lose their rules and conditions, this is because of a library update of Google ("Sorry for the inconvenience"). It was too much work to workaround this for just a few users. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but then you can at least import your rules again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
firewall, privacy, security, vpn
Previous Thread Next Thread