More
I have just released beta version 0.21.

Changelog:
  • Added menu 'show all apps' to show system components
  • Added menu to import/export all settings
  • Added option to purchase unlimited data usage
  • Added support for fragmented IP packets
  • Small improvements and bug fixes

It can take a few hours until this release is available in the Play store.

Edit: existing users will lose their rules and conditions, this is because of a library update of Google ("Sorry for the inconvenience"). It was too much work to workaround this for just a few users. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but then you can at least import your rules again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th September 2017, 12:11 PM |#22  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 18

More
How much is unlimited data usage? My current speed is 100 Mbps and my average usage is 80 Gb a month

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

It's usd5 a month for unlimited usage

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk
30th September 2017, 12:11 PM |#23  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 39,853

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulasno

How much is unlimited data usage? My current speed is 100 Mbps and my average usage is 80 Gb a month

Unlimited means that your connection to the server will never be terminated for exceeding a usage limit. The available bandwidth is shared though, see also the terms of service. Currently the chance that you have 100 Mbps available on the server is high, but there is no guarantee that this will be available at all times. I will hire bigger servers as the number of users increase to have a reasonable amount of bandwidth available for everybody. However, guaranteeing bandwidth cannot be done for a few euros per month.

Edit: to be exact the price is 4.50 euros excluding local taxes, which is comparable with most VPN providers. Note that there doesn't exist a VPN provider offering a configurable firewall and that both the client and server had to be developed from scratch to make this possible, which took me quite some time and effort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th September 2017, 02:33 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

What odd app behavior did you notice?

When trying yesterday morning, it happened that changing a single application's settings would also change default settings (main profile)
However, I could not reproduce that using todays version (0.21). So, pls disregard

Different items:

1) would it be possible to import settings from Netguard backup?
2) option 'show all apps' resets to unchecked whenever switching to different task
3) will there be other sorting & grouping options anytime soon? Currently it's cumbersome to work through a long list of apps, where many apps differ from default (blocked) profile settings. Any app will immediately jump to top of list, when changed from blocked to unblocked
4) will blocking of single adresses work as in Netguard? Currently, when tapping an adress, it will change its color to orange - does that mean it gets blocked?
30th September 2017, 03:00 PM |#25  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerolianis

When trying yesterday morning, it happened that changing a single application's settings would also change default settings (main profile)
However, I could not reproduce that using todays version (0.21). So, pls disregard

Different items:

1) would it be possible to import settings from Netguard backup?
2) option 'show all apps' resets to unchecked whenever switching to different task
3) will there be other sorting & grouping options anytime soon? Currently it's cumbersome to work through a long list of apps, where many apps differ from default (blocked) profile settings. Any app will immediately jump to top of list, when changed from blocked to unblocked
4) will blocking of single adresses work as in Netguard? Currently, when tapping an adress, it will change its color to orange - does that mean it gets blocked?

1. Maybe I will add this later, but right now there are things with more priority, like a real-time log. Edit: this will be in the next version.
  2. Yes I know, I will fix this later. Edit: 'show all apps' will stick in the next version.
  3. Apps with changed settings (relative to the selected profile) are sorted on top / moved to the top, which is IMHO quite convenient. I like to keep the UI elements to the minimum, so for now there are no other sorting/filtering options planned. You can always use the search to quickly find an app, which is what I do all the time myself.
  4. Yes, blocking addresses works the same as in NetGuard (yellow=blocked, blue=allowed, black=app rule). A little secret: long press to allow when the screen is on (this can't be done in NetGuard).

Thank you very much for your feedback!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st October 2017, 12:54 PM |#26  

More
Quote:

*Apps with changed settings (relative to the selected profile) are sorted on top / moved to the top, which is IMHO quite convenient. I like to keep the UI elements to the minimum, so for now there are no other sorting/filtering options planned. You can always use the search to quickly find an app, which is what I do all the time myself.

I agree, grouping changed apps on the top is very convenient, once the system is set up completely.

However, initial setup for a list of 200+ apps (or refining after modifying defaults) will make you curse. At least, that's what I felt and many (potentially) new users might feel the same.

Of course, this would not be a high prio request, just something to enhance ease of use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerolianis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gerolianis Ad-Free
1st October 2017, 01:04 PM |#27  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerolianis

I agree, grouping changed apps on the top is very convenient, once the system is set up completely.

However, initial setup for a list of 200+ apps (or refining after modifying defaults) will make you curse. At least, that's what I felt and many (potentially) new users might feel the same.

Of course, this would not be a high prio request, just something to enhance ease of use.

Do you have an idea how this can be improved, preferably without introducing a new setting?
1st October 2017, 01:38 PM |#28  

More
Quote:

Do you have an idea how this can be improved, preferably without introducing a new setting?

Without new setting? That's a challenge, hehe...

My first thought would be to have the list ungrouped as long as VPN/S is inactive and grouped when active.
But first thought might not be the best, less techie users might get confused by that approach. Maybe another idea crosses my mind...
1st October 2017, 07:43 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi Marcel,

I Really like your work and have great respect for all the work you put in these apps, even if it's "fun to do". I hope there will be a donation button in this app soon I will test the app and report any feedback I have.

Are you considering dutch servers by any chance? And/or the possibility to choose server locations?

And (off-topic) are you considering a version of xprivacy for more recent versions of android? I am hooked on this app!
The Following User Says Thank You to water1309 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift water1309 Ad-Free
1st October 2017, 08:47 PM |#30  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by water1309

Hi Marcel,

I Really like your work and have great respect for all the work you put in these apps, even if it's "fun to do". I hope there will be a donation button in this app soon

There is a button to buy unlimited data usage if you want to support this project.

Quote:

I will test the app and report any feedback I have.

Feedback is very welcome, especially in this stage of development.

Quote:

Are you considering dutch servers by any chance? And/or the possibility to choose server locations?

If there were hundreds of Dutch users, I would consider adding a server in the Netherlands, but there are not even enough users yet to justify servers on the main continents (America's and Asia beside Europe). As soon as there are multiple servers, I will add a server selector to the app.

The latency from France to the Netherlands is quite low, about 15 milliseconds, so there is not much to gain anyway.

Quote:

And (off-topic) are you considering a version of xprivacy for more recent versions of android? I am hooked on this app!

There are less and less people able to root their devices and the official Xposed version is quite dated, so there is no sound basis to put a lot of work into XPrivacy anymore.
1st October 2017, 10:03 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Hi Marcel,

I have convinced a lot of people around me to use NetGuard. I also recently talked to them about VPN/Sentry.

I would like to be sure about my VPN/Sentry understanding.

After reading VPN/Sentry features and FAQ, I understand that :
- VPN/Sentry exports "filtering" process concerning applications, on an external server instead of doing it locally on the device,
- communication between the device and the server is encrypted, and only that one,
- IP address seen by the target server is external server IP address, and not device IP address,
- battery usage is lower on the device.

Is my understanding globally right ?

Thanks for your engagement and all your work in privacy.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
firewall, privacy, security, vpn
Previous Thread Next Thread