[CLOSED][APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua Pro companion app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I'm using latest pro version 0.35. Love the dark theme.
Theme switch doesn't work when pro App was called via xprivacylua. When I start pro App directly it works.
Doesn't work means I have dark theme even the switch is off. Do I enable switch it changes to white. Going back to xprivacylua and start pro App again (via xprivacylua) its dark and switch is off.
There is a note below the check box, does that help?

Phoost

Jan 16, 2013
There is a note below the check box, does that help?

I'm talking about the dark theme of Pro App.
Let's report it this way.
I'm on dark theme in lua and start to Pro.
Switch is off but Pro is dark.
Change switch, means enable it and Pro changes to white.
That's weird.
It's still reproducable. Switch doesn't reflect the status when Pro was called from lua.

Pogo

Mar 19, 2007
Would you consider to move "Dark Theme" checkbox from the top of the screen somewhere down or in the menu?
On my Nexus 5 with 5" LCD I need now to scroll down to get Log View button. IMHO, the Log View button is typically used way more more than Dark Theme button.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180211-151704.png
    Screenshot_20180211-151704.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 415

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I'm talking about the dark theme of Pro App.
Let's report it this way.
I'm on dark theme in lua and start to Pro.
Switch is off but Pro is dark.
Change switch, means enable it and Pro changes to white.
That's weird.
It's still reproducable. Switch doesn't reflect the status when Pro was called from lua.
I will see if I can reproduce this.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Would you consider to move "Dark Theme" checkbox from the top of the screen somewhere down or in the menu?
On my Nexus 5 with 5" LCD I need now to scroll down to get Log View button. IMHO, the Log View button is typically used way more more than Dark Theme button.
Moving the switch to the menu a good idea.

Edit: this has been done in the just released version 0.36.

Changelog:
  • Moved theme switch to menu
  • Small improvements and minor bug fixes

Last edited:

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
@M66B,

Thanks for the updates,

I updated both XPrivacyLua and the companion app to the latest, rebooted and checked Build.Fingerprint in the companion app, to my surprise it was still set enabled.

Also I was looking around the definitions and noticed ActivityManager.getRecentTasks and few others within the group was in gray, I wondered why, drilled to the details to see what it was about and they all showed enabled.

Are these some UI glitches or I'm misunderstanding the proper use?

Thanks
BB

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B,

Thanks for the updates,

I updated both XPrivacyLua and the companion app to the latest, rebooted and checked Build.Fingerprint in the companion app, to my surprise it was still set enabled.

Also I was looking around the definitions and noticed ActivityManager.getRecentTasks and few others within the group was in gray, I wondered why, drilled to the details to see what it was about and they all showed enabled.

Thanks
BB
Only the Build.Fingerprint hook was disabled and nothing else was changed to the hooks:
https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/commit/b721af4742cc01dbd58ea7ba36a1f6c516b1f272

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks,

I understand that, my questions are:

1- why Build.Fingerprint was still enabled in the companion app after the update?

2- why some enabled hooks are showing up in gray in the companion app.

Thanks
BB
I don't know and I cannot reproduce it.

Did you update to the latest version of XPrivacyLua and did you hard reboot?

There is really no change that can explain this.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
I don't know and I cannot reproduce it.

Did you update to the latest version of XPrivacyLua and did you hard reboot?

There is really no change that can explain this.
Yes to both.
Is it possible that because I had unchecked Build.Fingerprint for few apps like lastpass for granular control while keeping use tracking on this could have happened?

See attached for the gray issue.
Thanks
BB
gray.jpgenabled.jpg

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Yes to both.
Is it possible that because I had unchecked Build.Fingerprint for few apps like lastpass for granular control while keeping use tracking on this could have happened?

See attached for the gray issue.
Thanks
BB
View attachment 4417688View attachment 4417689
Editing a hook will make a copy of the hook, so that is likely the cause of the Build.FINGERPRINT stuff.

getRunningServices is enabled for API levels up to 25 only (check the min/max SDK field), so I guess you are using a more recent Android version.

Reactions: badabing2003

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Editing a hook will make a copy of the hook, so that is likely the cause of the Build.FINGERPRINT stuff.

getRunningServices is enabled for API levels up to 25 only (check the min/max SDK field), so I guess you are using a more recent Android version.

Thanks, the gray mystery resolved, yes I'm running Oreo 8.1, I believe sdk 27

As for the Build.Fingerprint I didn't edit the hook, I just made lastpass not restrict it while keeping use.tracking checked.

Thanks
BB

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B,

Thanks for the updates,

Thanks, the gray mystery resolved, yes I'm running Oreo 8.1, I believe sdk 27

As for the Build.Fingerprint I didn't edit the hook, I just made lastpass not restrict it while keeping use.tracking checked.
Isn't this contradicting: "it was still set enabled" and "not restrict it" ?

Anyway, I have tried multiple scenarios and I cannot find any problem. Since it will not happen often that an existing hook will be disabled and this therefore can be considered an edge situation, I am not going to put more time into this minor problem. Just disable/enable/delete it to set it as it should be set.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Isn't this contradicting: "it was still set enabled" and "not restrict it" ?

Anyway, I have tried multiple scenarios and I cannot find any problem. Since it will not happen often that an existing hook will be disabled and this therefore can be considered an edge situation, I am not going to put more time into this minor problem. Just disable/enable/delete it to set it as it should be set.
Yeah sure, not asking you to invest time on it, just reporting it.
You be the judge of the importance.

Just to be clear,
- I never edited the definition.
- It was enabled in the previous version, part of use.tracking
- I had use.tracking applied to most apps, including lastpass, which in effect had build.restriction applied.
- I then went into granular selection in the companion app (for lastpass) and unchecked Build.Fingerprint (restriction, not definition) while keeping all other use.tracking checked for lastpass.
- updated both apps, rebooted.
- definition was still enabled.
That's all

Not sure why that would be contradictory.

Of course I disabled it once I saw it was still enabled.

Thanks.
BB

Phoost

Jan 16, 2013
One issue I noticed today:
Open xprivacylua, start pro App for an App.
Pro App started with two tabs. "Global" and "App" .
Select manage hooks in App tab. Close manage hooks via "back" or the symbol in the left upper corner. Pro tab "App" disappeared. There is only "global" anymore.

One wish for manage hooks: possibility to sort by name and/or search field

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
One issue I noticed today:
Open xprivacylua, start pro App for an App.
Pro App started with two tabs. "Global" and "App" .
Select manage hooks in App tab. Close manage hooks via "back" or the symbol in the left upper corner. Pro tab "App" disappeared. There is only "global" anymore.

One wish for manage hooks: possibility to sort by name and/or search field
Actually, this only happens when you use the back symbol in the action bar.

OSheden

Feb 13, 2017
play.google.com
Sorry for having used the wrong thread.
So here is my question: Could you add a search box in the log of the pro companion to allow us to search all the resrictions for a specific app?

Reactions: piskor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

XPrivacyLua Pro companion app

This thread is to discuss about the pro companion app of XPrivacyLua.

You can install the pro companion app for free and manage hook definitions and access the hook definition repository for free. You can see how the other features work, but using them requires a purchase:

• backup and restore all settings
    • manage individual hooks per app
    • set/randomize custom identifiers globally/per app
    • allow (non) starred contacts globally/per app
    • set custom fake or coarse location globally/per app
    • view a global log of which restriction were applied and when
    • notify on applying an app restriction
    • dark theme

Although the pro companion app is stable, it will be forever published in the Play store as "testing" because I don't want to deal with unfair ratings/comments. Just too many people have unreasonable expectations.

If you value your privacy, please consider to support this project by purchasing pro features or with a donation.

If you want to install the pro companion app and activate the pro features without Google services, please contact me through this contact form: https://contact.faircode.eu (select "XPrivacyLua standalone").

The pro companion app is supported with Xposed only.

XDA:DevDB Information
    XPrivacyLua pro companion app, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B

Version Information

Created 2018-01-31
    Last Updated 2018-01-31

XDA:DevDB Information
    XPrivacyLua Pro companion app, App for the Paid Software Discussion

Contributors
    M66B

Version Information

Created 2018-01-31
    Last Updated 2019-04-17
    Christ dude $15 for pro features???!!

And you even got the admins to delete the fork that enables the pro features for free. **** move.
    XPrivacyLua is completely free to use, so you can protect your privacy for free. Given the time I have put into it, this is a big gift. The pro companion app offers convenience and advanced features and is not free to use.

You clearly experience the price too high, but in fact it is much too low because it will never ever pay for the hours I have put into this project.

Most apps are free, but in fact you are paying in some other, likely privacy invading way. Most paid apps are cheap and they can be due to the high number of users. XPrivacyLua has maybe 3000 users and just a few percent actually support the project. I have put about 450 hour into this project. Go figure.

So, if you value your privacy, please support this project instead of trying to use the pro companion app for free.

Edit: there has never been a fork or whatever, so you have been using either cracking tools or a cracked version of the pro companion app. Crackers do not work for free because that is simply not how the world works most of the time. Mostly they earn their money by inserting malicious code. So, you are not only using illegal stuff, but also taking a big risk. Don't be surprised if something was stolen from you.
    You were very vocally against the pro features despite the community feedback and only enabled it as a means to kill the community fork. So yes you released it but locked it behind a prohibitively expensive price as a way of getting back at people. For $15 it might as well not exist. But tbh I think it's more of an ego issue than a money issue. And it's obviously apparent from how you took an amazing app and neutered it because you want to police how others want to use their devices. Yes this is your personal project and you can do whatever the hell you want with it but it just seems so counter productive.
    Which community fork are you talking about?

Edit: all source code is here: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua, but it doesn't contain the pro companion app because I don't want it to be used free.

And yes, I was against pro features and still I built them and put a price on them, which go together. So, be happy that there are pro features available and not only XPrivacyLua. It is not 'a way of getting back at people', that lives only in your mind.

I provided XPrivacyLua for free and open sourced it. How is that an ego issue?

I am not policing how you use your device. That is absolute nonsense.

You obviously want to use the pro companion app for free. Can you please explain me why?

Basically you come here to complain that your cracked version doesn't work anymore. You should be banned for that.

I think it is pretty disrespectful to steal somebody else's work.
    A ton of apps do this. XPL is literally useless if you can't or don't want to pay $15. Your privacy ends when your inability to pay begins.

And to those preaching this as the holy grail as privacy: don't even pretend, you know some apps outright crashes when restrictions are applied.

I'm usually okay with these semi functional freemium apps since they cost a few bucks at most to unlock but $15 is too greedy out of principle alone, especially if he's making this for the, lol, "betterment of humanity". You'd think with a mission that great the not-so-optional features would be more accessible.

Watch him interpret this as wanting things for free because in his mind less money apparently equals no money. Probably sprinkled with some threats of leaving because he thinks he's rovo89 or something.
    If $15 is worth the pro features and to support the XPrivacyLua project is up to you, but it is clear to me that you don't want to pay anything or almost nothing. That is fine, but then you should not have access to the pro features.

XPrivacyLua generally doesn't let apps crash, although this can't be prevented completely. See also the FAQ.

Nobody preaches that XPrivacyLua is the holy grail of privacy, but it is the most complete privacy tool for Android there is.

Anyway, go find another completely free privacy tool that is maintained and supported and just go away here.
    I have just released version 0.69.

Changelog:
    • Android 9 Pie compatibility
    • Switched to AndroidX
    • Updated libraries
    • Updated build tools