FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[HUAWEI] [EMUI] Remove icon borders, backgrounds etc. - ENABLE PURE ICONS

47 posts
Thanks Meter: 51

Post Reply Email Thread
As you may noticed, Huawei's EMUI is adding rounding borders to icons. This can be very annoying so there is a simple trick to have icons without borders.

But first - I am not responsible for any damage made by doing this.

What will this do?
  • Remove rounded borders and icon background from applications icons
  • Replace system app icons to material design icons
  • [Coming soon][Now available]Replace out-of-date looking app icons (google apps etc.) - Most of them were replaced, if you see any out-of-date icons, please write it in comments

NEW:
Some users, especially Ankit Aryal, TKGerrald and shahi.persian (I am sorry if I forgot about anyone), suggested me to make theme that only changes 3rd party apps. So, I am presenting Third Party Apps edition known as 3PAE. Installation is the same as "NEW installation (3.0+)". Download HERE

Knows issues
  • Some apps like Google apps, Viber etc. will still have borders, but not rounded - Most of them were fixed, if you see any bordered icons, please write it in comments
  • Lockscreen wallpaper can't be changed, it is always the same as the homescreen wallpaper

Tested on Huawei MediaPad M2 8.0

NEW installation (3.0+) (if something goes wrong, use the original installation below):
  1. Download Pure.HWT file from download section (unpack if you downloaded .7z file, if you have .hwt file, do not unpack)
  2. Put the file into your device to HWThemes folder
  3. Open Themes app on your device
  4. Choose a stock theme that will be used as a base (for example, I like the theme called Brightness) and apply it
  5. Open Themes app again
  6. Tap Customise
  7. Tap lock style, tap more and choose PureIconsV3.0 and Apply
  8. Tap Unlock animation and apply any theme you like
  9. Tap Lock screen and apply your lockscreen wallpaper
  10. Tap Home screen and apply your homescreen wallpaper
  11. The most important step: Tap Icons then more and choose PureIconsV3.0 and apply
  12. Done

Original installation (1.0+):
  1. Download Pure.HWT file from download section (unpack if you downloaded .7z file, if you have .hwt file, do not unpack)
  2. Put the file into your device to HWThemes folder
  3. Open Themes app on your device
  4. Find theme called Pure and tap it
  5. Tap a checkbox
  6. Done

Download

New version - 3.2
MediaFire
Google drive
Mega

All versons
MediaFire
Google drive
Mega

If you like this, please hit the Thanks! button
If you think something is wrong, feel free to tell it

Screenshot (please, ignore text, it is in Slovak)

Changelog:
Code:
V3.2 - Bug fixes, Fixed Facebook and Messenger too big icons, Fixed Google Play store too small icon, Added icons for Ingress, Spotify, Telegram and Pocket, Added some backgrounds
V3.1 - Updated all the Google play icons, Updated Instagram icon, added Facebook icon but does not seem to work
V3.0 - New possible installation, Bug fixes, Google Play icon and some other - successfully changed, Changed icons: Twitter, Waze
V2.2 - Changed icons - Dropbox, Google Drive, Google docs, Google calendar, Google Streetview
V2.1 - Changed icons - Sunrise, Airbnb, WhatsApp, Barcode reader
V2.0 - Changed system icons, Google icons except Google play and Hangouts, Instagram, ES file explorer, Viber, Adobe reader
V1.0 - Remove background and borders from icons

PS: Sorry for my bad English
Attached Files
File Type: 7z PureV3.2.hwt.7z - [Click for QR Code] (7.67 MB, 14918 views)
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to MrAdny For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrAdny Ad-Free

22nd February 2016, 12:27 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi thanx for your work ! I have a few icons that are still having their ugly white border : airbnb, WhatsApp, sunrise, play store and barecode scanner. Would be awesome if you can work on those
Cheers !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcm84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mcm84 Ad-Free
22nd February 2016, 04:51 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Moldava nad Bodvou

Donate to Me
More
Updated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm84

Hi thanx for your work ! I have a few icons that are still having their ugly white border : airbnb, WhatsApp, sunrise, play store and barecode scanner. Would be awesome if you can work on those
Cheers !

Hello! Thanks for your feedback! Icons were added, I hope they work. Unfortunately, I can´t change Google play store icon.
Have a nice day
The Following User Says Thank You to MrAdny For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrAdny Ad-Free
22nd February 2016, 04:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdny

Hello! Thanks for your feedback! Icons were added, I hope they work. Unfortunately, I can´t change Google play store icon.
Have a nice day

WOW awesome !!!!!
25th February 2016, 07:49 PM |#5  
Flag Wil SG
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thank you for this awesome "theme", this really rescues the ugly look of the Huawei icons in connection with Nova Launcher.

Would you mind telling me why some of the icons (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, Google Calendar, Play Store) still have a (square, sharp) white background while others (e.g. Spotify, Whatsapp, Google Clock and others) don't have one? How do I disable the ugly white background in an EMUI theme?

Thanks for sharing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chetteli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chetteli Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 08:22 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Moldava nad Bodvou

Donate to Me
More
The theme
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetteli

Thank you for this awesome "theme", this really rescues the ugly look of the Huawei icons in connection with Nova Launcher.

Would you mind telling me why some of the icons (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, Google Calendar, Play Store) still have a (square, sharp) white background while others (e.g. Spotify, Whatsapp, Google Clock and others) don't have one? How do I disable the ugly white background in an EMUI theme?

Thanks for sharing.

Greetings!
So... The reason of that is because some "clever" people in Huawei decided it will be better if they replace the icons of the most popular apps. So even if you generaly disable backgrounds theese apps will still have borders and will be looking out of date. And the reason of that some apps doesn't have borders is because I replaced the icon manually but for some reason I can't replace the play store icon. So if you give me a list of ugly looking apps, I can replace them in the next update.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrAdny For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrAdny Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 08:41 PM |#7  
Flag Wil SG

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdny

Greetings!
So... The reason of that is because some "clever" people in Huawei decided it will be better if they replace the icons of the most popular apps. So even if you generaly disable backgrounds theese apps will still have borders and will be looking out of date. And the reason of that some apps doesn't have borders is because I replaced the icon manually but for some reason I can't replace the play store icon. So if you give me a list of ugly looking apps, I can replace them in the next update.

Really clever of them, thanks for clarification.

Icons that still have a white border and might be of general interest: Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Street View (comes with Google Maps). Interestingly, though, some apps that are 100% not included in your list and have an irregular shape with transparency (e.g. Automate, DiscoMark Benchmark) don't have such a border. This behaviour seems quite strange.
I anyways use Nova Launcher, so no need to include my listed apps, I just thought I might mention them for your information.

Cheers mate

PS: Do you need to replace all the single icons in order to not show a border? Or can you replace some kind of theme-wide "border file" with an empty file to not show a border?
The Following User Says Thank You to chetteli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chetteli Ad-Free
25th February 2016, 09:01 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Moldava nad Bodvou

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetteli

Really clever of them, thanks for clarification.

Icons that still have a white border and might be of general interest: Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Street View (comes with Google Maps). Interestingly, though, some apps that are 100% not included in your list and have an irregular shape with transparency (e.g. Automate, DiscoMark Benchmark) don't have such a border. This behaviour seems quite strange.
I anyways use Nova Launcher, so no need to include my listed apps, I just thought I might mention them for your information.

Cheers mate

PS: Do you need to replace all the single icons in order to not show a border? Or can you replace some kind of theme-wide "border file" with an empty file to not show a border?

Hello!
I will include the icon.s ASAP. The reason because the apps like automate don't have a border is because Huawei didn't change the icon, just added borders so in this case it is easier to remove the borders generally. For regular apps I simply remove the file that add borders. But in apps like Google apps and other popular apps I have to do it manually, icon by icon
18th March 2016, 04:59 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Some other apps with ugly white boxes, in 2.2 version: Waze, Messenger (Facebook), Play Store.
Anyway, great job, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sverik For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sverik Ad-Free
14th April 2016, 03:46 AM |#10  

More
First of all, thanks so much for the theme. Those ugly borders I have been loathing since the moment I got my P8 Lite (ALE-L04, now on 5.1). Got linked from an Android Central article today.

For icons still with white border, apart from the others already mentioned, I have: Google Photos, Play Games, Voice Search.

There seems to be a bug with the theme on my phone. The lockscreen wallpaper cannot be set independently from the homescreen wallpaper. From what I can tell, the theme has "styles" for Homescreen and the Lockscreen. Seems like the lockscreen portion may not be well defined enough and the system treats them as the same. The wallpaper settings allow me to change the lockscreen wallpaper with "Other", but once selected, it does not do anything.

Let me know if you need screenshots.

Keep up the good work!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flyfox99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flyfox99 Ad-Free
14th April 2016, 05:57 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Moldava nad Bodvou

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfox99

First of all, thanks so much for the theme. Those ugly borders I have been loathing since the moment I got my P8 Lite (ALE-L04, now on 5.1). Got linked from an Android Central article today.

For icons still with white border, apart from the others already mentioned, I have: Google Photos, Play Games, Voice Search.

There seems to be a bug with the theme on my phone. The lockscreen wallpaper cannot be set independently from the homescreen wallpaper. From what I can tell, the theme has "styles" for Homescreen and the Lockscreen. Seems like the lockscreen portion may not be well defined enough and the system treats them as the same. The wallpaper settings allow me to change the lockscreen wallpaper with "Other", but once selected, it does not do anything.

Let me know if you need screenshots.

Keep up the good work!

Hi! Thanks for your feedback! Icons you mentioned for some reason can't be changed. I have the same problem with the wallpaper and don't know how to fix it I will add it to known issues and if I find something, I will let you know.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)