[HUAWEI] [EMUI] Remove icon borders, backgrounds etc. - ENABLE PURE ICONS

Search This thread

TKGerrald

Apr 15, 2016
Hi! Thanks for you feedback! Messaging and Telephone icons should be changed by now. Music (I think you mean ringtone) can be changed in future, if you sent me a music that you want to have there, that would be great. I don't know much about changing widget background but if you sent me the Singularity theme, I could try it.
Hi There! I meant the Music Player App. The one where you can play the music that you saved on your SD Card and stuff like that ;)
i would love to upload a screenshot of the icons i'm talking about but xda won't let me because i didn't posted 10 posts by now

+++ Found an icon set on the Play Store which i would loooooove to have in your design. It is called "Glyphsy Icon Pack". I would post a link but xda still won't let me+++

Last edited:

-Mod-

Jan 31, 2010
For me in version3 Google fit and pocket icons in white background. EMUI icon FILES still rounded?

Reactions: MrAdny

andriusvelykis

Apr 25, 2016

12715838_946680365446511_4246771177293837949_o.jpg

Is this screenshot of EMUI 4 (Marshmallow)? If so, how did you get the white icon in the notification bar for debug mode? After upgrading to EMUI 4, all application icons in the notification/status bar are coloured with the corresponding app icons. See attached screenshot with USB debugging icon. I am interested in reverting to the behaviour that was available in Lollipop (EMUI 3.1). My phone is Huawei P8.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-27-10-00-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-27-10-00-00.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 458

MrAdny

Mar 13, 2015
Moldava nad Bodvou
Is this screenshot of EMUI 4 (Marshmallow)? If so, how did you get the white icon in the notification bar for debug mode? After upgrading to EMUI 4, all application icons in the notification/status bar are coloured with the corresponding app icons. See attached screenshot with USB debugging icon. I am interested in reverting to the behaviour that was available in Lollipop (EMUI 3.1). My phone is Huawei P8.
Hello! It is EMUI 3.1. Android 6 has not been (yet) released for Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0. I hope it will soon be released so I can see what can I do with it.

CaptainMalu

Dec 4, 2015
Thank you for the Icons. I've searched a long time for them. :)
But I have some problems: :angel:
- the Google office apps now have all the same icon like Google drive
- the Google play video, games, music, ... Icons are not up to date
- Google fit, antutu benchmark and Ingress have a white square background
- telegram has a blue squared background
- music player and Google play music have the same icon

rX6wftLibccTDD6z6

FzmzNo9uEPa8yzbC6

sxuk

May 12, 2016
Hello I can't get the icons to work with the Google Now launcher on my Huawei P9... Any ideas? Thanks!

ripeed

Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for this mod, but can you update icons for Huawei P9. I have it like this, some icons not changed.

IanCongreave

Jan 7, 2011
Icons on Mate 8

Thank you for this thread, I have a new Mate 8 and I'm completely new to the Huawei EMUI. The appearance of the icons is a particular frustration (although I have others). I put your theme file into Themes and the first part of your instructions worked fine, but from step 8 I got quite lost. I don't know to "unlock animation". I have my lockscreen and homescreen wallpapers set, but I can't see how to follow step 11 (the most important step!) I can't find an "icons", so I haven't been able to complete the process. Has anyone successfully applied this procedure to the Mate 8?

(Update) I have since found Material EMUI on xdadevelopers, and it has provided a simple solution to the problem of icon backgrounds..

Last edited:

MrAdny

Mar 13, 2015
Moldava nad Bodvou
Thank you for this thread, I have a new Mate 8 and I'm completely new to the Huawei EMUI. The appearance of the icons is a particular frustration (although I have others). I put your theme file into Themes and the first part of your instructions worked fine, but from step 8 I got quite lost. I don't know to "unlock animation". I have my lockscreen and homescreen wallpapers set, but I can't see how to follow step 11 (the most important step!) I can't find an "icons", so I haven't been able to complete the process. Has anyone successfully applied this procedure to the Mate 8?

(Update) I have since found Material EMUI on xdadevelopers, and it has provided a simple solution to the problem of icon backgrounds..
Hi!
Thanks for your comment. Not all devices have the same app menu. Maybe Original installation would work better for you.

MrAdny

Mar 13, 2015
Moldava nad Bodvou
Thank you for the Icons. I've searched a long time for them. :)
But I have some problems: :angel:
- the Google office apps now have all the same icon like Google drive
- the Google play video, games, music, ... Icons are not up to date
- Google fit, antutu benchmark and Ingress have a white square background
- telegram has a blue squared background
- music player and Google play music have the same icon

rX6wftLibccTDD6z6

FzmzNo9uEPa8yzbC6

Hi, thanks for your support!
-Unfortunately, I can not change the single icons right now :/
-3.1 fixes that
-Google fit is fixed, Antutu's original icon is also square (picture), Ingress is coming soon
-I will fix that in the next update

Reactions: CaptainMalu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may noticed, Huawei's EMUI is adding rounding borders to icons. This can be very annoying so there is a simple trick to have icons without borders.

But first - I am not responsible for any damage made by doing this.

What will this do?
    • Remove rounded borders and icon background from applications icons
    • Replace system app icons to material design icons
    • [Coming soon][Now available]Replace out-of-date looking app icons (google apps etc.) - Most of them were replaced, if you see any out-of-date icons, please write it in comments

NEW:
    Some users, especially Ankit Aryal, TKGerrald and shahi.persian (I am sorry if I forgot about anyone), suggested me to make theme that only changes 3rd party apps. So, I am presenting Third Party Apps edition known as 3PAE. Installation is the same as "NEW installation (3.0+)". Download HERE

Knows issues
    • Some apps like Google apps, Viber etc. will still have borders, but not rounded - Most of them were fixed, if you see any bordered icons, please write it in comments
    • Lockscreen wallpaper can't be changed, it is always the same as the homescreen wallpaper

Tested on Huawei MediaPad M2 8.0

NEW installation (3.0+) (if something goes wrong, use the original installation below):
    1. Download Pure.HWT file from download section (unpack if you downloaded .7z file, if you have .hwt file, do not unpack)
    2. Put the file into your device to HWThemes folder
    3. Open Themes app on your device
    4. Choose a stock theme that will be used as a base (for example, I like the theme called Brightness) and apply it
    5. Open Themes app again
    6. Tap Customise
    7. Tap lock style, tap more and choose PureIconsV3.0 and Apply
    8. Tap Unlock animation and apply any theme you like
    9. Tap Lock screen and apply your lockscreen wallpaper
    10. Tap Home screen and apply your homescreen wallpaper
    11. The most important step: Tap Icons then more and choose PureIconsV3.0 and apply
    12. Done

Original installation (1.0+):
    1. Download Pure.HWT file from download section (unpack if you downloaded .7z file, if you have .hwt file, do not unpack)
    2. Put the file into your device to HWThemes folder
    3. Open Themes app on your device
    4. Find theme called Pure and tap it
    5. Tap a checkbox
    6. Done

Download

New version - 3.2
    MediaFire
    Google drive
    Mega

All versons
    MediaFire
    Google drive
    Mega

If you like this, please hit the Thanks! button
    If you think something is wrong, feel free to tell it

12715838_946680365446511_4246771177293837949_o.jpg

Changelog:
    Code:
    V3.2 - Bug fixes, Fixed Facebook and Messenger too big icons, Fixed Google Play store too small icon, Added icons for Ingress, Spotify, Telegram and Pocket, Added some backgrounds
    V3.1 - Updated all the Google play icons, Updated Instagram icon, added Facebook icon but does not seem to work
    V3.0 - New possible installation, Bug fixes, Google Play icon and some other - successfully changed, Changed icons: Twitter, Waze
    V2.2 - Changed icons - Dropbox, Google Drive, Google docs, Google calendar, Google Streetview
    V2.1 - Changed icons - Sunrise, Airbnb, WhatsApp, Barcode reader
    V2.0 - Changed system icons, Google icons except Google play and Hangouts, Instagram, ES file explorer, Viber, Adobe reader
    V1.0 - Remove background and borders from icons

PS: Sorry for my bad English
    First of all, thanks so much for the theme. :) Those ugly borders I have been loathing since the moment I got my P8 Lite (ALE-L04, now on 5.1). Got linked from an Android Central article today.

For icons still with white border, apart from the others already mentioned, I have: Google Photos, Play Games, Voice Search.

There seems to be a bug with the theme on my phone. The lockscreen wallpaper cannot be set independently from the homescreen wallpaper. From what I can tell, the theme has "styles" for Homescreen and the Lockscreen. Seems like the lockscreen portion may not be well defined enough and the system treats them as the same. The wallpaper settings allow me to change the lockscreen wallpaper with "Other", but once selected, it does not do anything.

Let me know if you need screenshots.

Keep up the good work!
    Hi thanx for your work ! I have a few icons that are still having their ugly white border : airbnb, WhatsApp, sunrise, play store and barecode scanner. Would be awesome if you can work on those :)
    Cheers !
    In my p9, the icons of the play store and instagram, is smaller :crying:
    Thank you for this awesome "theme", this really rescues the ugly look of the Huawei icons in connection with Nova Launcher.

Would you mind telling me why some of the icons (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, Google Calendar, Play Store) still have a (square, sharp) white background while others (e.g. Spotify, Whatsapp, Google Clock and others) don't have one? How do I disable the ugly white background in an EMUI theme?

Thanks for sharing.