FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Which manufacturer support warranty with unlocked bootloader?

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By TylerD13, Junior Member on 17th February 2018, 12:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Did you know which manufacturer support warranty with unlocked bootloader?
I think only Google didn't void warranty in this case.

HTC change is policy 1,5 year ago : http://dl4.htc.com/Web_materials/Man..._May1_2016.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerD13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TylerD13 Ad-Free

17th February 2018, 06:46 AM |#2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Thanks for putting this up. This is a very relevant topic, but could not find any consolidated thread containing references/materials. While my experience with bootloader unlocking, rooting, etc. is limited, I am kind of certain to buy my next phone from those manufacturers who honor the warranty even after a bootloader unlock and root. Flashing a custom ROM may be a different scenario, because if we flash a ROM which fries the hardware due to some bug, they may not honor the warranty, which seems reasonable.

Now, as per my research, I have found the following manufacturers to honor the warranty after bootloader unlocking and rooting. If the devices are on contract, then they may have disabled the option altogether, so ymmv.

1. Google (I can't find any proper warranty policy, it is believed commonly and forums suggest that customer representatives have reiterated that they will honor the warranty)
2. Oneplus (IN) (US) (Bonus: FAQ)
3. Xiaomi (IN) (Global)

I could not find any reference to root/bootloader, etc. in these warranty policies, and forum posts seem to support this.

Any further input from the community may help.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandy_1988 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sandy_1988 Ad-Free
24th September 2018, 11:14 AM |#3  
Flag Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Hello, yes, this is an interesting topic.
I was interested in a Huawei device, but after reading about their new locked BL policy, I'll never buy such a device.

I wrote in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkerts

Yes, indeed. With this behaviour, they're sabotaging the development of custom ROMs during the "active" phase of the device. After the manufactorer sw support stops, there is nothing you can switch to, and you basically have a swiss cheese like device with security holes. Yay.
And so much for sustainability ... That basically forces you to buy a new phone much sooner.

In general I despise this trend, that manufacturers even void the warranty for hardware defects after you modify the software. This is crazy.
I hate this patronising on the mobile devices.
Why can't we have open computing plattforms, like we have with desktops and notebooks ?! ...

Anyway, thank you for the confirmation.
Is there a list with manufacturers which are closed and which are more open ?
I had negative experiences with Sony and Motorola.
I've read that Samsung locks it's devices as well.

OnePlus seems to have a fair policy.
Are there any others ?

@sandy_1988
Thanks for mentioning Google and Xiaomi.

As for the fried hardware, they should get their s**t together and develop hardware, which can't be fried with wrong software. On the PC plattform this worked for the most time as well.

But I agree, having at least unlock & root and being able to remove the bloatware (if any) would be a good first step.

And the main thing is about the obstruction of the community. The phone becomes almost worthless, after the support period, if there is no real community.

So, basically, I see atm only 3 manufacturers I'd buy from ...

Update:
I found this site
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...aders-0179751/
and it mentions
Essential and Nokia as well
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)