Root achieved on CAT B15Q !!!

Search This thread

as672

Jul 20, 2014
Root finally achieved on CAT B15Q.

I tried all the simple methods, none worked.

I used PDAnet USB drivers.

To achieve root, I made a recovery using the CWM method with SP Flash Tool V5.1408.00 following this guide
chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thread-Tutorial-Ultimate-no-root-backup-CWM-MT6582-MT6592-MT6589-MT6589T-MT6577-MT6595

Recovery was patched using MTK Droid tools. However, SP Flash Tool V5 would not flash the phone with the patched Recovery and Boot files, so for that I used SP Flash Tool V3.1332.0sn187. Then root using MTK Droid tools - Superuser (SuperSU failed). Also useful was this guide
chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thread-Tutorial-How-to-build-CWM-and-root-Bedove-X21-MTK6577-and-other-MTK-phones

Note: When plugging phone in for flashing (this is done with the phone OFF), put battery in, plug cable into phone, hold volume down button when you plug the USB cable into the computer.

Checking with a root checker, it told me I did not have full root access, even though Superuser appeared to be working, I only had temporary root.

I then used Root Genius, which finally achieved full root.

A bit of messing around, but worth it.

Last edited:

htron

Jul 24, 2014
Yes, a detailed tutorial how to successful rooting a Cat B15Q would be greatly appreciated.
I've tried with towelroot, but app says phone is not compatible.
Newest chinese version from RootGenius is 1.9.6, but international version is only 1.8.7 from
march 2014. Has anybody tried successfully with one of the versions?

Greetings,
htron

Reactions: kolk and Frit0

denkteich

Jul 11, 2014
To achieve root, I made a recovery using the CWM method with SP Flash Tool V5.1408.00 following this guide
chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thread-Tutorial-Ultimate-no-root-backup-CWM-MT6582-MT6592-MT6589-MT6589T-MT6577-MT6595

failed at this one...
read back not working.

any more informations?

D

dashdeckers

did i understand correctly, root genius works?

just want to be sure before i try it, thanks in advance

cityshark_cz

Mar 28, 2011
Roor genius didn't work for me. Left my phone in wierd state (screen flickering during call). Had to do factory reset after my root tries.

Reactions: kolk
D

dashdeckers

i hope this thread wont die, there isnt much information on the web on how to root the b15q.

has anyone found some good links, or some in any way useful info that they could post here?

i really hope this will turn out better than with the b15, where after half a year there was still nothing reliable

thanks in advance :good: :fingers-crossed:

htron

Jul 24, 2014
Roor genius didn't work for me. Left my phone in wierd state (screen flickering during call). Had to do factory reset after my root tries.

Can you tell us which version of RootGenius you used? Chinese 1.9.6, or older international version 1.8.7 from march 2014 ? Or another else?

For info: I have tried to contact as672 for more details, but no answer until today.

Greetings,
htron

cityshark_cz

Mar 28, 2011
Can you tell us which version of RootGenius you used? Chinese 1.9.6, or older international version 1.8.7 from march 2014 ? Or another else?

For info: I have tried to contact as672 for more details, but no answer until today.

Greetings,
htron

The older (international) one...
EDIT: just tried the lastest Chinese. no luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: htron

taz22

Oct 25, 2007
RootGenius not good:crying:

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Root genius 1.9.7 not good

cityshark_cz

Mar 28, 2011
It's an apk fille (in chinese). Just download, run, wait, reboot and voila... Root is there. At least i have it on my B15Q since morning. Root is persistent (still rooted after multiple reboots) and controlled by KingUser app that you will get preinstalled after running thar chinese apk. How much is it safe or not I have absolutely no clue nor guarantee. For me it works without any problems (so far).

Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk

Stefan Grühn

Oct 2, 2007
1+ for RootGenius_general_mobile.apk

Dear cityshark_cz,
thank you for pioneering to root @ my CAT B15Q, keeps any reboot, all works fine!
Through rooting installed Kinguser App is near equal to SuperSU or Superuser.
Hopefully without Chinese back door...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I tried all the simple methods, none worked.

I used PDAnet USB drivers.

Recovery was patched using MTK Droid tools. However, SP Flash Tool V5 would not flash the phone with the patched Recovery and Boot files, so for that I used SP Flash Tool V3.1332.0sn187. Then root using MTK Droid tools - Superuser (SuperSU failed). Also useful was this guide
    chinaphonearena.com/forum/Thread-Tutorial-How-to-build-CWM-and-root-Bedove-X21-MTK6577-and-other-MTK-phones

Note: When plugging phone in for flashing (this is done with the phone OFF), put battery in, plug cable into phone, hold volume down button when you plug the USB cable into the computer.

Checking with a root checker, it told me I did not have full root access, even though Superuser appeared to be working, I only had temporary root.

I then used Root Genius, which finally achieved full root.

A bit of messing around, but worth it.
    Hey people, since cyanogenmod.org is down, i annouce my latest release of cm 13.0 here. It's the first upload on github itself, so you will find it here:
    https://github.com/hersche/android/releases/tag/cm-13.0

Mateuszol: i've tried to document the stuff as good as possible here: https://github.com/hersche/android/wiki

i assume you have to learn something more about sp-flashtool, but i'm not shure where it hangs on your side.

i whish you good luck and a good new year :)
    hey people, i'm sorry for answering that late..

i invest my time atm really in other stuff and get me a blackview bv6000, rooted proper tonight, but with stock (wanna say: don't do dev there).

because of it's still in use, i've compiled another version - i'm really not shure if it solves any problem, but have a look at the commits told me, some zip-related stuff is fixed. also there are 3 "r-versions"/revisions increased from google itself which may also fix some stuff..?

i hope that helps, but with android 6 you may have to live with such workarounds like adb and/or moving the apk's directly to /data/apps..

the new rom is here: https://github.com/hersche/android/releases/tag/0.0.2

because it looks missing in discussion, i did some doc's there: https://github.com/hersche/android/wiki

also possible, that ported roms, which are older, works better on some points, but i don't will test this - hope there is a good solution for the users. if someone want to continue with the development, i will give answers where i can :)

good luck with the apks!
    Root apk to download

Sorry guys I posted wrong url.

correct is: http://203.205.136.145/dl.shuame.co...obile.apk?mkey=53eb98d2161940bb&f=178a&p=.apk

Let me know if this works for you as it worked for me :)
    Yes, a detailed tutorial how to successful rooting a Cat B15Q would be greatly appreciated.
    I've tried with towelroot, but app says phone is not compatible.
    Newest chinese version from RootGenius is 1.9.6, but international version is only 1.8.7 from
    march 2014. Has anybody tried successfully with one of the versions?

Greetings,
    htron