FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Rooting the LG Exalt LTE from Verizon (LG VN220) - Request for Advice

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

Post Reply Email Thread
Quote:

TL.DR; Trying to root new Verizon Android flip-phone with Marshmallow 6.0.1, ARMv7. Firmware version: VN22010B. Seems to to be locked down.

I'm trying to root the LG Exalt LTE, or LG VN220, from Verizon. Initially, I've attempted the common rooting kits, such as KingoRoot as well as the tools described around XDA. However all failed. I suspect the cause to be the restrictive permissions of /data/local/tmp, which prevents execution of binaries. I believe any kit using this location will likely fail to achieve anything.

As such, I've been looking to achieve the same using manual techniques. The first step, as in most rooting activity is to put the device into USB debugging mode. To do this on the VN220, first compose ##7764726220. When asked for a service code, use 000000 to access a special menu. Select the Developer Options > USB Debugging and select On. There is an additional menu below named Select USB configuration, from which you can select Media Transfer Protocol or RNDIS among other options.

With that done, you can verify that you can now communicate with the device via ADB. To do so, download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot bundle. While I was successful in querying the device with ADB with
Code:
adb devices
Trying to use fastboot simply outputs "< waiting for device >" indefinitively. It is also possible to open a shell using ADB, however attempting ADB with root will fail. I don't think this is caused by having wrong drivers, as all the other tools could detect the phone (see below), but rather a permission issue.

From there, I've try to boot in different modes, which are accessible by turning off the phone, and then powering up the device while holding the Volume Down button. This will boot into a white screen with some options, including the "Safe Mode" option which I attempted. The second mode is the "Firmware Upgrade" mode which is accessible by again, powering down the phone and powering it up again, but this time holding the Volume Up for 3 seconds.

Attempting to run the following fails:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
That being said, I later found out that LG does provides a legitimate way to unlock the bootloader via their LG developer portal. Unfortunately the VN220 is not in the list of supported devices, nor does the procedure given applies to this phone. Additionally, it requires the device ID which fails also since it requires fastboot:
Code:
fastboot oem device-id
The other attempt I've tried is using the LG Mobile Support Too l and while it was useful to obtain the KDZ file from their website, it also failed to apply the update. LGUP didn't recognise the model. (Note that both requires the USB mode to be RNDIS to detect the phone)

Trying to run apps from the internal storage such as su or even using the chmod command only results in "Operation not permitted" messages. So even temporary root seems rather difficult.

At this point, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on additional things I could try to root the phone, or even have temporary root.

Thanks in advance
@cyberrecce
The Following User Says Thank You to InfectedPackets For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift InfectedPackets Ad-Free

16th September 2017, 07:07 PM |#2  
Flag Bridgewater, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Why?
First of all thank you, I've been looking for that service code to enable developer settings / adb since I discovered the phone secretly runs Android. But I don't see why we would need root, I've been using adb to side load apps since I can't get to a menu that allows it
17th September 2017, 03:40 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn0802

First of all thank you, I've been looking for that service code to enable developer settings / adb since I discovered the phone secretly runs Android. But I don't see why we would need root, I've been using adb to side load apps since I can't get to a menu that allows it

1. Why? To install a custom ROM.
2. Did you get any issue with certificates when side-loading apps? I keep getting INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES. Can't seem to find the "Install from Unknown Sources" option.
9th October 2017, 07:06 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedPackets

2. Did you get any issue with certificates when side-loading apps? I keep getting INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES. Can't seem to find the "Install from Unknown Sources" option.

i get the same error. did you find a solution? i would really appreciate it
28th December 2017, 10:09 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendilR

i get the same error. did you find a solution? i would really appreciate it

re: the certificate error for side loading apps...
Code:
adb shell settings put secure install_non_market_apps 1
turns off the unknown source block, but I'm still getting INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES
Could the apk itself I'm trying to use have a bad certificate? Or is there another solution?
4th January 2018, 03:51 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

I'm trying to root the LG Exalt LTE, or LG VN220, from Verizon. Initially, I've attempted the common rooting kits, such as KingoRoot as well as the tools described around XDA. However all failed. I suspect the cause to be the restrictive permissions of /data/local/tmp, which prevents execution of binaries. I believe any kit using this location will likely fail to achieve anything.

As such, I've been looking to achieve the same using manual techniques. The first step, as in most rooting activity is to put the device into USB debugging mode. To do this on the VN220, first compose ##7764726220. When asked for a service code, use 000000 to access a special menu. Select the Developer Options > USB Debugging and select On. There is an additional menu below named Select USB configuration, from which you can select Media Transfer Protocol or RNDIS among other options.

With that done, you can verify that you can now communicate with the device via ADB. To do so, download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot bundle. While I was successful in querying the device with ADB with

Code:
adb devices
Trying to use fastboot simply outputs "< waiting for device >" indefinitively. It is also possible to open a shell using ADB, however attempting ADB with root will fail. I don't think this is caused by having wrong drivers, as all the other tools could detect the phone (see below), but rather a permission issue.

From there, I've try to boot in different modes, which are accessible by turning off the phone, and then powering up the device while holding the Volume Down button. This will boot into a white screen with some options, including the "Safe Mode" option which I attempted. The second mode is the "Firmware Upgrade" mode which is accessible by again, powering down the phone and powering it up again, but this time holding the Volume Up for 3 seconds.

Attempting to run the following fails:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
That being said, I later found out that LG does provides a legitimate way to unlock the bootloader via their LG developer portal. Unfortunately the VN220 is not in the list of supported devices, nor does the procedure given applies to this phone. Additionally, it requires the device ID which fails also since it requires fastboot:
Code:
fastboot oem device-id
The other attempt I've tried is using the LG Mobile Support Too l and while it was useful to obtain the KDZ file from their website, it also failed to apply the update. LGUP didn't recognise the model. (Note that both requires the USB mode to be RNDIS to detect the phone)

Trying to run apps from the internal storage such as su or even using the chmod command only results in "Operation not permitted" messages. So even temporary root seems rather difficult.

At this point, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on additional things I could try to root the phone, or even have temporary root.

Thanks in advance
@cyberrecce

Just curious - any success or updates. I can't seem to get past " INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES"
5th January 2018, 02:42 AM |#7  

More
For installing apps I'm still not getting past INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES

I even tried pulling an apk from my LG G4 that successfully installed on that device and tried installing it on the Exalt, but same error.

The biggest reason I've seen for the INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES is apks that are signed poorly. When I check the apks I'm using for their signatures with the JDK it says one or more of their signatures lack a timestamp which can cause problems.

Also, downloading the apk from the Exalt's browser and trying to install from either
settings > phone settings > storage > phone > explore > downloads > open > install
or
tools > file manager > internal storage > downloads > open > install
has been coming up with "app not installed" after it tries to install the apk.

I'm not really giving up though, I just don't really know where to go from here.
9th January 2018, 11:05 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by effulgent.unicorn

For installing apps I'm still not getting past INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES

I even tried pulling an apk from my LG G4 that successfully installed on that device and tried installing it on the Exalt, but same error.

The biggest reason I've seen for the INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATES is apks that are signed poorly. When I check the apks I'm using for their signatures with the JDK it says one or more of their signatures lack a timestamp which can cause problems.

Also, downloading the apk from the Exalt's browser and trying to install from either
settings > phone settings > storage > phone > explore > downloads > open > install
or

I'm not really giving up though, I just don't really know where to go from here.

Any ideas on how to get past - "INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATE S"?
13th January 2018, 12:52 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULC91316

Any ideas on how to get past - "INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT_CERTIFICATE S"?

I'm still at the same place I was the other day when I posted this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by effulgent.unicorn

or

I'm not really giving up though, I just don't really know where to go from
here.

22nd February 2018, 04:44 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

Can you please share with us the KDZ file?
Thanks!
3rd April 2018, 12:49 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
anyone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)