Thanks Meter: 2

Post Reply Email Thread
6th June 2018, 08:21 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
software for LG vn220
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedPackets

I'm trying to root the LG Exalt LTE, or LG VN220, from Verizon. Initially, I've attempted the common rooting kits, such as KingoRoot as well as the tools described around XDA. However all failed. I suspect the cause to be the restrictive permissions of /data/local/tmp, which prevents execution of binaries. I believe any kit using this location will likely fail to achieve anything.

As such, I've been looking to achieve the same using manual techniques. The first step, as in most rooting activity is to put the device into USB debugging mode. To do this on the VN220, first compose ##7764726220. When asked for a service code, use 000000 to access a special menu. Select the Developer Options > USB Debugging and select On. There is an additional menu below named Select USB configuration, from which you can select Media Transfer Protocol or RNDIS among other options.

With that done, you can verify that you can now communicate with the device via ADB. To do so, download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot bundle. While I was successful in querying the device with ADB with

Code:
adb devices
Trying to use fastboot simply outputs "< waiting for device >" indefinitively. It is also possible to open a shell using ADB, however attempting ADB with root will fail. I don't think this is caused by having wrong drivers, as all the other tools could detect the phone (see below), but rather a permission issue.

From there, I've try to boot in different modes, which are accessible by turning off the phone, and then powering up the device while holding the Volume Down button. This will boot into a white screen with some options, including the "Safe Mode" option which I attempted. The second mode is the "Firmware Upgrade" mode which is accessible by again, powering down the phone and powering it up again, but this time holding the Volume Up for 3 seconds.

Attempting to run the following fails:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
That being said, I later found out that LG does provides a legitimate way to unlock the bootloader via their LG developer portal. Unfortunately the VN220 is not in the list of supported devices, nor does the procedure given applies to this phone. Additionally, it requires the device ID which fails also since it requires fastboot:
Code:
fastboot oem device-id
The other attempt I've tried is using the LG Mobile Support Too l and while it was useful to obtain the KDZ file from their website, it also failed to apply the update. LGUP didn't recognise the model. (Note that both requires the USB mode to be RNDIS to detect the phone)

Trying to run apps from the internal storage such as su or even using the chmod command only results in "Operation not permitted" messages. So even temporary root seems rather difficult.

At this point, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on additional things I could try to root the phone, or even have temporary root.

Thanks in advance
@cyberrecce

Hi
can you make a software for the LG vn220 phone that I can install to block the internet service from that. and after I install the software it's not possible to bring bake the old software whit internet service or when I restart the phone.

7th June 2018, 04:40 AM |#22  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhorowitz25

Hi
can you make a software for the LG vn220 phone that I can install to block the internet service from that. and after I install the software it's not possible to bring bake the old software whit internet service or when I restart the phone.

You could use ADB to uninstall the internet app? Then it shouldn't come back unless you factory reset the phone.
adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0

And, @98jbsz I said it was something different than the usual, I never said it was a solution..

Thirdly, anyone know of a way around Verizon's network check for tethering that'll work with this phone? Pop the sim out doesn't work because of battery/sim placement, we're stuck on the apps/root front, and none of the adb solutions I've found are working. :/
27th June 2018, 01:31 AM |#23  

More
[Less on topic, sorry again, but has anyone seen the LG Wine LTE? (url)
It's strikingly similar to our friend the Exalt LTE here, but it seems less carrier branded/available at US Cellular, so I'm wondering if that would make a difference?

I'm curious about what/if the Wine would have for sms messaging (I doubt it'd have Verizon's message+) and instead of my Verizon app...][/QUOTE]

I've been poking around with one of these, was able to remove apps via adb shell with above instructions. No success rooting or installing new apps though.

I believe the messaging app is just a standard lg built app
27th June 2018, 11:05 PM |#24  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhorowitz25

Hi

Yes, we can have something like that
27th June 2018, 11:10 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What do you talking about..
28th June 2018, 06:48 PM |#26  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98jbsz

What do you talking about..

You asked for a software (app) which can block the internet, and the answer is yes we have such an app, and it is not possible to remove it
28th June 2018, 06:54 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsggt

Yes, we can have something like that

Quote:

You asked for a software (app) which can block the internet, and the answer is yes we have such an app, and it is not possible to remove it

First I didn't ask it.. (check the names)
2'nd who is we.. also on this phone you can remove any app but you can't install new apps..
28th June 2018, 07:33 PM |#28  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98jbsz

First I didn't ask it.. (check the names)
2'nd who is we.. also on this phone you can remove any app but you can't install new apps..

Sorry, i meant @Mhorowitz25 asked for it

We did manage to install our app on this device
3rd July 2018, 08:33 PM |#29  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsimple

I've been poking around with one of these, was able to remove apps via adb shell with above instructions. No success rooting or installing new apps though.

I believe the messaging app is just a standard lg built app

Oooh, thank you. I do kind of wish I had known about the Wine LTE before I got my Exalt. Preference in branding and messaging app is enough, all things considered. And I never remember US Cell having a network requirement for tethering (i.e. I'm salty that I can't tether now that I'm off Verizon)

Quote:

Sorry, i meant @Mhorowitz25 asked for it

We did manage to install our app on this device

Care to share more? The how?
31st October 2018, 04:28 AM |#30  

More
How do I network unlock this phone to use with other carriers? I can't find even on the paid sites the option to unlock this model.
7th November 2018, 05:16 AM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimon353

How do I network unlock this phone to use with other carriers? I can't find even on the paid sites the option to unlock this model.

Verizon doesn't carrier lock their phones anymore. This version of the phone shouldn't be locked.

When I switched off Verizon I had to take the Verizon sim from the Exalt and put it in another compatible phone and make a call with it, but that was all it took and then the Exalt worked fine with my new sim.

Another thing to double check would be that it has compatible bands for the carrier you're trying to get it onto. It /shouldn't/ be a problem since the Exalt has quad band GSM as well as CDMA, though, but double check.
The Following User Says Thank You to effulgent.unicorn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift effulgent.unicorn Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)