FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TWRP recovery not working on Blackview BV9500

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Yves596, Junior Member on 30th November 2018, 09:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everybody,
I try to root my Blackview BV9500 by installing first TWRP recovery. I use fastboot mode on a linux laptop to do that.
I successfully flash the twrp recovery image, but after that, the phone don't boot in recovery anymore.
It try to boot into recovery, but it reboot in normal mode a few second after.
I tried also with the cmd "fastboot boot recovery.img".
When i flash back the original recovery image, it work, i can boot the original recovery without any problem.
Does anyone have the problem?
Some one can help me to find a solution?
1st December 2018, 11:15 PM |#2  
Flag Cowford, FL - Blackview BV9500 Pro
Thanks Meter: 75

More
I, too, am trying to do this. I have not yet flashed it... I was going to use the fastboot boot command to boot the recovery kernel before permanently flashing it, to make sure it would work, and in my googling I stumbled across this post. Serendipity! [Edit 3: Although, reading your post again, I see you tried that as well and it didn't succeed for you. For me, it simply tells me remote: command not found, so how were you able to even get that to work?]

All that said... I have the BV9500 Pro, specifically for the two-way radio, so I'm going to try to keep that little tidbit of hardware working in the process. I mainly just want to tweak the menus a bit, tweak the quick settings, get root, delete the Google crapps I won't be using...

On to your problem, though, I can't help much but maybe if we post back and forth our successes and failures we might be able to stumble through it together?

First, I assume you already have unlocked your bootloader? [Edit: Honestly, I'm not sure flashing the recovery would be allowed without first unlocking the bootloader]

[Edit 2: Perhaps this thread might be of help. Different model, but often the hardwares used by manufacturers are similar enough that the same steps generally work. ]
3rd December 2018, 08:46 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thank you for the link, maybe i need to flash the complete rom with the twrp recovery with spflash tools, and it will work.
I will try and let you know, but i will make a backup of my rom before flashing it!

For your problem with fastboot, maybee it's because you need to install it. You can use the command "sudo apt-get install fastboot" on a terminal window if you are on linux.

If you want to enter the recovery mode, you don't need to use fastboot, you can simply enter it by pressing Volume Up and Power buttons together for a couple of seconds when your phone is off.
When Boot Mode appears release all keys.

To flash recovery with fastboot, you need first to enable the developer mode on your phone (go to "Settings > About phone" and make 7th tap on the build number, the Developer options will be unlocked and available), and unlock the bootloader of course.
here what is the process i made to flash the recovery :
- i use the command "adb devices" to check if the phone is well connected. (response is like "BV9500S320001179 device")
- then i enter in fastboot mode with "adb reboot bootloader" (phone reboot and ask confirmation for fastboot mode)
- check with command "fastboot devices"
- unlock the bootloader with the command "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot flashing unlock".
- flash the phone with the twrp recovery with "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
- reboot the phone in recovery mode with "fastboot boot recovery.img"
Normally the phone boot in twrp recovery.

Hope that will help you too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yves596 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Yves596 Ad-Free
6th December 2018, 05:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am too facing this problem. In case you got any solutions please let me know too.
6th December 2018, 10:42 PM |#5  
Flag Cowford, FL - Blackview BV9500 Pro
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves596

For your problem with fastboot, maybee it's because you need to install it. You can use the command "sudo apt-get install fastboot" on a terminal window if you are on linux.

Yup. Already had fastboot installed for the LG G5 this phone replaced, the Galaxy Note 4 the LG replaced, the MyTouch 4G Slide the Galaxy replaced, my wife's old Galaxy S5 I used in the interims... LOL, I've got a working install. No, the "Remote: command not found" was returned from within.... Whether fastboot or adb, I forget now, but I was able to get the file to flash eventually, after reading your first post, but unfortunately the phone would not boot to it (nor Android). I thought I'd bricked it. Twice this happened. Each time, after about 5 minutes, it eventually booted to Android.

I flashed the recovery from the ROM in the link Blackview sent me and was able to boot their recovery just fine, so there's something in the TWRP that my particular phone doesn't like.

Quote:

If you want to enter the recovery mode, you don't need to use fastboot, you can simply enter it by pressing Volume Up and Power buttons together for a couple of seconds when your phone is off.
When Boot Mode appears release all keys.

Thanks, I keep forgetting which keys to hold for recovery versus bootloader, so I use the adb command to be sure without having to keep a notepad nearby.

Clearly I don't do this as often as I used to.

Quote:

(snip)
- flash the phone with the twrp recovery with "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
- reboot the phone in recovery mode with "fastboot boot recovery.img"
Normally the phone boot in twrp recovery.

Hope that will help you too.

Now that was something I haven't done since the T-Mobile G1 days. My understanding was that you CAN boot a recovery without flashing it first if you"fastboot boot {image filename}" but that didn't work for me either. I'm also assuming that the filename to flash can be anything because the device stores it to a partition, so it shouldn't have to be specifically "recovery-verified.img".

The recovery you have... Were you ever able to boot to it? If so, would you be willing to share a link to its download source, please?

I've got to run for a prior engagement, I'll check back later.

Thanks!
10th December 2018, 09:03 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicadavis

I am too facing this problem. In case you got any solutions please let me know too.

I guess i find the reason why the modified recovery image won't boot.
I find an interesting information in a post of osm0sis (https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2073775) were he say : "some newer MediaTek (MTK) devices use special image signing that adds a "BFBF" pre-header signature, so images will unpack/repack but most likely won't boot unless run through their internal signing tool."
After more search, i find an interesting publication (http://www.lieberbiber.de/2015/07/04...and-preloader/) witch confirm that.
They say in conclusion of the publication :
"Yes, I can confirm that SignTool is able to add digital signature information to firmware images. Signed images have an additional header “BFBF” and some fluff which SP Flash Tool checks on a secure device. Apparently some manufacturers merely used the default MTK key for signing the images, making them no better off than a typical insecure MTK device."

So we have to find another way to install magisk to root it.
26th December 2018, 11:39 AM |#7  

More
Root 9500/pro
Mine rooted already....you guys can check on 4pda russian forum

Note : do not use the 17.1 version of magisk there because after reboot the device will freeze if you resboot after twrp 1st install...instead flash 17.3+ or 18+ right after first install of twrp...

EDIT : dont mind the russian language in TWRP as you can change it to english once there
4th January 2019, 10:04 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

Hi everybody,
I try to root my Blackview BV9500 by installing first TWRP recovery. I use fastboot mode on a linux laptop to do that.
I successfully flash the twrp recovery image, but after that, the phone don't boot in recovery anymore.
It try to boot into recovery, but it reboot in normal mode a few second after.
I tried also with the cmd "fastboot boot recovery.img".
When i flash back the original recovery image, it work, i can boot the original recovery without any problem.
Does anyone have the problem?
Some one can help me to find a solution?

Hello I have same problem... Do you have that original recovery file? I don't have and I would like to get that back. Thanks.
12th January 2019, 11:13 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
DL this:
needrom. com/ download/bv9500pro- bv9500-root/ (delete spaces)

- Copy Magisk-v18.0.zip and disable_encryption_9500.zip to external SD-Card or OTG device

- backup your data from internal SD-Card

- do a factory reset and turn off phone without entering the setup guide after reboot, or wipe via recovery and power off

- Flash recovery.img using scatter.txt with SP Flash Tool

- boot into recovery with hold down vol + and power

- switch TWRP to your language and install Magisk-v18.0.zip and disable_encryption.zip

- reboot and update or install MagiskManager-v6.1.0.apk

Thanks to Jemmini from 4pda.ru
The Following User Says Thank You to kanadali For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kanadali Ad-Free
13th January 2019, 09:28 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadali

DL this:
needrom. com/ download/bv9500pro- bv9500-root/ (delete spaces)

- Copy Magisk-v18.0.zip and disable_encryption_9500.zip to external SD-Card or OTG device

- backup your data from internal SD-Card

- do a factory reset and turn off phone without entering the setup guide after reboot, or wipe via recovery and power off

- Flash recovery.img using scatter.txt with SP Flash Tool

- boot into recovery with hold down vol + and power

- switch TWRP to your language and install Magisk-v18.0.zip and disable_encryption.zip

- reboot and update or install MagiskManager-v6.1.0.apk

Thanks to Jemmini from 4pda.ru

Thank you for your help and Jemmini help too, it work fine.
But on the firmware version 20180629.
13th January 2019, 10:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Thank you for your help and Jemmini help too, it work fine.
But on the firmware version 20180629.

you can just download latest firmware and simply backup NVRAM etc with sp flash tool also flash with sp tool, you will have then working twrp with disabled encryption. there are tons of post regarding using sp flash tool on this forum
im using same phone and did these actions on first day and did not have any problem with twrp or magisk
The Following User Says Thank You to kanadali For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kanadali Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)