FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android lacks the security

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By sandeep37, Junior Member on 21st July 2014, 01:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I read somewhere that Android keeps your personal data even after hard resetting the phone as it only delete the path of files nd original files are remain untouched. I just want to know if it is true or not..

Sent from my A110Q using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

21st July 2014, 06:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Isn't that true for just about every storage device? I think the issue is when you erase the storage media, traces of the files can be recovered from the storage. This is true for your phone and also your personal computer. If you formatted your hard drive, someone could still use a data recovery to recover your data. Short of totally destroying your physical media, there may be no 100% way of erasing all data. The realistic goal would be erasing the data to the point where an average person can't recover it.

Based on what I read from the article, the issue is that if you erase your phone, the data can still be recovered from the phone using off-the shelve tool. Apple is a bit better since later generation of iphone handles encryption better. If you want to avoid this situation, look into an android phone with encryption features.

Paul
22nd July 2014, 06:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Check the settings, you might have the option to encrypt your data in there. Takes around an hour if your device is fairly new.
23rd July 2014, 02:49 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glompish

Check the settings, you might have the option to encrypt your data in there. Takes around an hour if your device is fairly new.

Good way of making sure your 'deleted' files, if they're still there, are inacessable.

But can make backup and recovery a real bitch....
23rd July 2014, 04:05 AM |#5  
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,884

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.siu

Isn't that true for just about every storage device? I think the issue is when you erase the storage media, traces of the files can be recovered from the storage. This is true for your phone and also your personal computer. If you formatted your hard drive, someone could still use a data recovery to recover your data. Short of totally destroying your physical media, there may be no 100% way of erasing all data. The realistic goal would be erasing the data to the point where an average person can't recover it.

Based on what I read from the article, the issue is that if you erase your phone, the data can still be recovered from the phone using off-the shelve tool. Apple is a bit better since later generation of iphone handles encryption better. If you want to avoid this situation, look into an android phone with encryption features.

Paul

Yes some of the data can be recovered but that is only as long as it has not been over written. The easiest thing to do is to wipe the device and use a Stock rom flash file to over write the system a few times formatting all partitions.
The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
10th August 2014, 12:36 PM |#6  
Flag Tyumen
Thanks Meter: 0

More
After hard-reset, data will be erased from device.

But, if your data was synchronized with Google cloud services, they will remain alive after Android hard-reset.
15th August 2014, 08:29 AM |#7  

More
All user data have been lost after hard reset
The Following User Says Thank You to tonybka For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tonybka Ad-Free
19th August 2014, 07:15 AM |#8  

More
I imagine that after a factory reset, all information stored on the device previously will be erased, however, i believe that information synced with email accounts or applications will be saved
20th August 2014, 01:47 PM |#9  
Flag Burlington

More
A factory reset is theoretically the best way to clear data and should work for most phones, see Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset. However, a company called Avast Software did a study recently and found they were able to recover photos from 20 handsets bought on Ebay. They say the owners did a factory reset but I'm a bit skeptical that maybe they claimed to but didn't.

Marc
20th August 2014, 03:29 PM |#10  

More
i think the same thingh.
27th August 2014, 11:34 AM |#11  

More
google keeps all of our information in its database... we are not its user but just product...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)